PDA

View Full Version : napa filter for allison

Austin 12345
10-30-2005, 06:23
I bought the spin on filter for the allison from my local napa store #7701 which looks to be the same filter, except if the magnet is installed it looks like it would block the return flow from the filter, meaning the holes line up right under the magnet. Now here it is Sunday morning and no chance of my dealer being open. Is it okay to put the Napa # on without magnet until I can get oem from stealer? Thanks in advance for any replies.

JD Diesel
10-30-2005, 06:49
They are all that way . It's ok JD :D

Austin 12345
10-30-2005, 07:36
When you say they are all that way, what do you mean, The original filter off the tranny has the return holes spaced just outside of the magnet area, The napa filter has them directly under the magnet. Just looks to me like it would kinda obstruct the fluid flow to some degree.

JD Diesel
10-30-2005, 12:45
New style a change in design. check topic search on trans filters for more info. It does not hamper flow for what I have read. JD ;)

dmaxalliTech
10-31-2005, 12:14
Non of my OEM Allison filters are like that.

Its been a long debated topic that it did or didnt make a difference and I dont think anybody ever did any scientific testing to find out. I know that me for one will not take the small chance with a performance built transmission. OEM only for me.

Hookem2004
11-04-2005, 13:11
Don't use the Napa filter. I did install the spin on filter and started up the truck to let it idle. There was a big puddle of tranny fluid on the drive way that blew out from the filter. Took it off and returned it to Napa and said that the holes are plugged up by the magnet. The guy told me to leave the magnet off and it should work fine. I said "I'd like my money back". He said no problem.