PDA

View Full Version : 4-53 Detroit

gophergunner
04-26-2007, 15:59
I've heard some rumours that the old 4-53, 3-53, 4-71, and 3-71 detroit diesels can be fitted into gmc and chevy pickups. They are supposed to fit right up to the older 4 spd standards, and probably require some new motor mounts.

i don't know if it would be a very practical engine swap as the detroit is a rather heavy engine for that displacement. but as a gmc/chevy/diesel/detroit engine fanatic i think it would be a cool project and quite a noisy and noticable truck to tear around in

anyone know of the possibilities of this??

a5150nut
04-26-2007, 19:04
I've heard some rumours that the old 4-53, 3-53, 4-71, and 3-71 detroit diesels can be fitted into gmc and chevy pickups. They are supposed to fit right up to the older 4 spd standards, and probably require some new motor mounts.

i don't know if it would be a very practical engine swap as the detroit is a rather heavy engine for that displacement. but as a gmc/chevy/diesel/detroit engine fanatic i think it would be a cool project and quite a noisy and noticable truck to tear around in

anyone know of the possibilities of this??

There used to be a couple guys in Bakersfield that put 4-53's into 3/4 ton Internationals. Stouter front suspension. With an Alison they saw 18 mpg and with a standard 22 mpg. They would climb a telephone pole if you could get the traction. But they leak and are very NOISY!

dieseldummy
04-26-2007, 22:13
The other thing to consider is that those motors are very tall. Might need a body lift to fit and still close the hood. Those noisey old leakers sure are fun though...

gophergunner
04-26-2007, 22:30
i was told you might get 200 hp out of it, but some wild torque.........and noisy detroits sound really nice:rolleyes:

i was also told they are rather hard to find and expensive to rebuild........i wouldn't mind getting my hands on a good used one as a project though

they may have been leaky way back when, but as i recall my dad has a 6-71 in an old farm truck, it was rebuilt over ten years ago and last i saw it looked pretty clean

Craig M
04-27-2007, 12:49
No body lift required. Stock GM manual will not fit up. Some welding required to get it mounted inside. Great sound. Can be muffled a reduce noise but will always have the 2 stroke roar. Many add a auxilliary overdrive transmission to compensate for the rear end ratio.

Craig M
04-27-2007, 12:52
Forgot to add that a properly built Detroit two stroke will not leak any more that one of our 6.2's.

HammerWerf
04-27-2007, 13:47
One of our members has put a Detroit in a old dodge, and is using for sled pulling in Europe. He has posted pictures in the photo area. Take a look.

HammerWerf

a5150nut
04-27-2007, 20:13
4-53's used to be used for power in the rail refrigerator cars. Might find a rail road dismantler. ;)

K. D.
04-27-2007, 21:20
I remember seeing an article in Four Wheeler mag of a 6V-53 install in a GM pickup truck. If memory serves they were running a brownie behind a 5 speed tranny out of a big truck. 20 forward gears...

I spent years just behind a 318 Detroit in a Western Star. I still kinda miss the sound. Hmm, wonder if that is why I am a tad deaf?

K. D.

Craig M
04-28-2007, 09:47
A very nicely built 6V53 was on Ebay this week. Installed in a 70's Ford 3/4 ton truck of all things. They are hoping to get big bucks for it. They ran an auction for the same truck a few months ago with out selling it.

gophergunner
05-27-2007, 14:21
So if i were to try and arrange a 4-53 or 4-71 for a pickup, maybe even the 6V-53 if its not too heavy, what sort of transmission would i be able to use, preferrably something that i can get already mated to a t-case to save myself some trouble. Cause this would be quite an interesting 4x4 build i think.

Just tryin to set myself up for future projects is all.......any info would be great

thanks

bowtiedude
06-21-2007, 09:04
6V-53T in a ferd F250 but truck weighed a little over 8,000 lbs. With a RTOO-9513 was a lot of fun to drive. Great tire smoker even with 44" groundhogs.

6.5NOVA
06-27-2007, 15:02
One of our members has put a Detroit in a old dodge, and is using for sled pulling in Europe. He has posted pictures in the photo area. Take a look.

HammerWerf

here is my dodge W200 with 6V-92 twin turbo,

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/68426923-3b60-4b6d-a34e-993d011bba43.htm

I have been looking for picktures from series 149 injectors on the net, but i cant find enything, dus someone have picktures from those injectors and can e-mail them to me? thank you.

journeyman
07-15-2007, 07:33
I had an IH travelall with the 4-53

Highest mpg (with #50 injectors) 13 mpg

Loud and rattly. Glad I got rid of it.

ke5hbd
07-26-2007, 20:12
Some YouTube videos of a 64 Chevy pickup with a detroit engine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mF9EpUDpvZU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fS43WnFGWs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1EH8ys7sPU

Hope you all enjoy because I did.

DeezilDoc
08-07-2007, 16:20
I have a 4-53 that I bought a few years back,it's in a 1976 GMC 6500 series truck, 5 speed tranny with a 2 speed rear end. I plan on putting it in a Ford F 450,have seen 2 in pick ups in the area,both were 3/4 tons,a Ford 4x4 and a Chevy mechanics service truck. I want to turbocharge this one to keep the noise down.As for the price of these engines you can find them available for about $2500 and cost of parts to rebuild is between $1000 -$1500. there are still plenty of them out there.

gophergunner
10-23-2007, 08:15
i can't let this topic slip away. i really want a detroit in a pickup but i can't seem to get any answers on transmissions here.

there are dealers around home that i can get all kinds of engine parts, even complete rebuilt engines of my choice. but the guys there know nothing about any adapters for gmc/chev transmissions.

i've seen and heard of these before, you can get adapters for detroit diesel engine flywheel housings to mate up with gm bellhousings.

anyone have any information on this, or whether or not gm bellhousing patterns match any SAE patterns?

i'm looking to get an NV4500 behind a detroit so i will at least have an overdrive gear, but before i even get started on such a project i need to make sure that the engine to transmission part is easily achievable

thanks

andysfords
12-02-2007, 21:02
You can easily make a 353 or 453 bolt to a chevrolet transmission, you have to swap the housing, but there is a housing that came of a 353 aluminum block that bolts to a chevrolet tranny, can be put on 353 or 453 engine, I'm not sure what the engine came in, maybe a GAMA goat?, I'm not sure.

hifiwasabi
01-15-2008, 20:34
I've also been bitten by the 2-stroke diesel bug and now have the urge to put a nice high compression 3-53 in an old straight front axle F-100. I've done a little research and there is a company that makes transmission adapters for the SAE bellhousings to mate GM automatic transmissions. Look for http://www.phxgrp.com/transmission.htm and this should be what you're looking for. However, I would rather go the route of an NV4500 OR a 5 speed overdriven Spicer. If you can nab a transmission out of a medium duty stake truck then you have your solution. I saw mentioned somewhere that a stock Chevy SM-420 will bolt right up to the SAE #3 bellhousing. Also, regarding the 6V-53, if you really want that in your pickup then you'll have to beef EVERYTHING in the front end. The engine alone weighs 1500 pounds or so and if you want an Allison add another 5 or 600 to the front end. The 3-53 weighs just over 900 pounds, the 4-53 weighs just over 1100 pounds and the 4-71 weighs a whopping 1800 pounds. Coupled with the three and a half foot height, that 4-71 won't slide in like stock. Heres another good resource: http://www.imageevent.com/lyndsayautumn

gophergunner
01-24-2008, 01:00
this gets more and more tempting every time i check out youtube.

just a question to everyone checking this out. I can't seem to find any 3 or 4 cylinder detroits yet. Are there specific trucks or pieces of equipment i should be looking for that would have these smaller engines in them?

Also, having a lot of trouble finding an adapter, someone to make an adaptor or even the bellhousing for SAE to automotive. Any sites that i have checked out that claim to make adapters say they can't do it, or they never reply. Any more leads would be a great help. Thanks

a5150nut
01-24-2008, 20:53
The 453's used to power rail road refer units. Know of any rail road wrecking yards? Used to be one in Bakers Akers, Ca. (Bakersfield)

Look out Google, her he comes................

gophergunner
01-24-2008, 23:03
don't know of any railroad wrecking yards around here....but i have an uncle who works for CN rail out of Edmonton. I might just have to pick on him about this topic now:confused:

Charliejm
11-15-2011, 13:45
i know this is an old thread, but i thought id help you guys out. first, you can find diesel engines (just about anything ever made) on www.dieselenginetrader.com

also, on a youtube video i watched a few weeks ago,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0kntJELW-Q&feature=related

If you read the comments the user states that the 4-53 DD was mated to a 4 speed Allison AT540.
hope i could help.