PDA

View Full Version : Cummins in 96 4x4 Chevy w/out lift kit???

Burning Oil
06-12-2007, 00:08
Hi, I am in the process of installing a 6bt Cummins in a 96 Chevy 4 wheel drive. I do not want any lift on the truck and because of that I am having clearence issues with the front IFS differential. The oil pan will hit the diff, but it still needs to go two more inches to the driver side. Anyone have the answer?
Thanks
Leroy

More Power
06-12-2007, 08:58
I've not seen the problem, but it would appear there are at least three solutions. Move the engine, modify the oil pan or modify the truck - or possibly some combination. :)

Jim

DA BIG ONE
06-12-2007, 12:00
Raise engine and use a hood that has cold air scoop w/intake at base of windshield for clearence.........

Burning Oil
06-12-2007, 13:41
I did take the pan off and am planing on modifiying it to work. I just was not sure if a easier way was possibile. I am even thinking of using a flat pan and running a dry sump system.
Anyone know of a flat pan for the 12Valve engines. (like the 4bt's have) otherwise I wil just mod mine.

I would have to raise the engine to much even with a cowl hood. I would run into trans (4L80E) to tunnel problems then also.

I would love to hear from anyone that has done this before.
Thanks

DmaxMaverick
06-12-2007, 13:57
If it's any reassurance, I really like the dry sump idea. It opens up many options.

Burning Oil
07-11-2007, 22:45
Well I have modified the pan and the engine sit where it should now. If anyone wants pictures I can email them.
I am using the cummins 1993 style engine mounts also. I made a plate that bolts to the original chevy frame mounting then just drilled a hole in that for the stud of the cummins mount.
Im still basicaly in the mock up mode, but will try to fire it up by this weekend. Still got a long way to go.
Also, just FYI in playing around with the oil pan I noticed it can be fliped 180 degrees so the sump is in front. It will line up and bolt up perfectly. That might help someone with clearence issues.

Shikaroka
07-13-2007, 10:43
Right on!
I'd like to see this!

Burning Oil
07-26-2007, 21:30
Here is a picture. Basically its done I am working on the computer/TCM so the trans (4L80E) will shift corectly
http://img413.imageshack.us/img413/2663/1996bluetruck026oj1.th.jpg (http://img413.imageshack.us/my.php?image=1996bluetruck026oj1.jpg)

DA BIG ONE
07-28-2007, 08:05
Makes a differential lowering setup consisting of drop brackets and hardware, drops unit 1.5" which is great for K2500's that have excessive axle angle.

Burning Oil
07-28-2007, 10:47
I thought about droping the dif also. I did not know any made a kit. I had decided against it because I was'int sure if it would throw off the geometry and bind or wear things out.
Do you know someone or a link to a comany that makes that kit. I am most likey going to do another convertion on my 93.
Thanks.

j_k_auto
07-28-2007, 22:08
Here is a picture. Basically its done I am working on the computer/TCM so the trans (4L80E) will shift corectly
http://img413.imageshack.us/img413/2663/1996bluetruck026oj1.th.jpg (http://img413.imageshack.us/my.php?image=1996bluetruck026oj1.jpg)

Do you have any more pics? It looks like you cut the oil pan in half.

Just wondering?

Randy H
07-30-2007, 19:44
I am thinking about installing a 5.9 in my 89 suburban. What trans adaptor did you use?

Randy

Burning Oil
08-04-2007, 18:50
JK
The pan is sectioned just in the sump area.

Randy
Check Ebay, search somthing like "Chevy Cummins" Back in the 80's alot of bread trucks ran a Cummins 4BT engine and a GM turbo 400. They have everything needed to bolt up a 6BT to a turbo 400 or in my case a 4L80E. Also. there is a guy on ebay making a billet adaptor plate now, but it cost $1300.

I am just about done with the wire harness and hopfully will be driving it it a couple weeks.

NYCEGUY01
08-10-2007, 11:44
A 2" body lift is a much easier way to solve several problems. You will soon find 2 or 3 more things that would have been easier with a little more room.

Just my opinion. Im no expert but I did stay at a holiday inn last night. lol

Heres a couple pics of my 96.

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z12/NYCEGUY01/CUMMINS001.jpg

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z12/NYCEGUY01/CUMMINS003.jpg

DA BIG ONE
08-10-2007, 16:58
I had checked out all the body lifts out there and the instructions for each say "not for diesel applications" but no explanation as to why?

NYCEGUY01
08-10-2007, 17:23
Theres a couple reasons why they say it wont work.

1st is the cooling issue. When you raise the body the radiator and the core support move up but the fan on the motor doesnt. Technically you have to ditch or severly modify the shroud for it to work like stock. The body lift manufacturers dont offer a fix for this and because of cost wont. Its much easier to not offer the lift for diesel applications.
They dont want to be responsible for any cooling problems etc.. that may cause engine damage.

2nd is the airbox plumbing. Once the fenders are raised the airbox plumbing wont reach the turbo. Again rather than spend the money for a proper fix they just dont offer the kit for the diesel application.

I talked on the phone for about an hour with an engineer of some kind who works for Performance Accessories , the biggest supplier of body lifts.

He basically said the actual lift is fine as the 88-98 chevy is basically the same truck in either diesel or gas triml.
The market isnt big enough for them to design the kit for our trucks. He also said that about 15% of the lifts sold end up on diesel trucks but without the "warranty"

On a conversion project none of that matters because we are gonna have to fab all that stuff anyway to work with the new motor.

On a stock 6.5 truck it will still work fine youll just have to be prepared for a little tweaking of some parts for a good install.

Burning Oil
08-10-2007, 21:25
Looks real nice. What year engine? What did you do for the A/C compressor? Have any part #s for the bracket. What area do you live in? Did you run an intercooler? Are you using stock fan or electrics? Lots of questions, thanks.

I am so close to finishing mine.(except paint)
Thanks for the pictures.

NYCEGUY01
08-10-2007, 22:19
Im located in Utah.

I built my own brackets for the a/c and alt.

Im running a 99-01 powerstroke i/c.

Stock Cummins clutch fan.

All conversions are done differently but after a few under your belt you find out what works vs. what works good. lol