PDA

View Full Version : duramax 6600 dimensions

joseph baz
09-09-2007, 06:25
Hi All,can someone help me with some dimensions for the 6600 duramax as I'm considering a conversion but I'm not sure if I have enough room between the chassis rails and also under the cab,I live in Australia and the conversion is for a OKA 4x4 this is a locally made truck,if any one can help with some details will be greatly apreciated.
many thanks
Joseph Baz

More Power
09-09-2007, 11:35
If the 6.5L Turbo Diesel will fit so would the Duramax. Where space becomes an issue is when fitting the ancillary components (airbox, batteries, intercooler plumbing, radiator surge tank, electrical center, etc.). You may also need to modify the oil pan and possibly the aluminum crankcase to provide clearance for steering & suspension pieces.

Jim

joseph baz
09-10-2007, 05:13
Thanks Jim,the problem is at present the original engine is a 4 cyl perkins,I will like to climb a hill without droping three gears,I was hoping that some one may have some manufacturers dimensions,like length,width,various distances like engine mountings width,I can modify the cab up to a point as i have a fair bit of room,if you check www.oka.com.au you will see what i mean
thanks again
J.B

DA BIG ONE
09-10-2007, 10:47
Perhaps, cummins 4banger 4B would better suit your application has lots of tq and good hp.

mister freeze
11-16-2007, 21:11
I'd like conversion data too: How long is the deivetrain from front axle centerline to the center of the center of the u-joint for the rear driveshaft? My hope is to trim down a K2500HD to fit a Blazer body.

More Power
11-16-2007, 23:07
According to the docs I have, the engine width from outside to outside at the cyl heads is 640.8mm, which doesn't include the exhaust manifolds or oil filter adapter. Engine length from the face of the damper to the transmission bellhousing flange is 730.6mm. These dimensions sound small, but by the time the engine is dressed and all auxiliary components are added, it looks a lot bigger.

As mentioned earlier, if you could drop in a 6.5 diesel or a big-block Chevy into your chassis, the Duramax could likely be made to work. The motor mounts we designed for our conversion will fit a chassis that accepts GM V-8 motor mounts, without modifying the frame mounts. :)

Jim

journeyman
12-09-2007, 15:49
With the cab-over design, you will either need very accurate information on size, or plan to do significant cutting and welding. I live in Russia and have seen the UAZ version of your truck... It's all pretty tight.

Are you just looking for more power?
Which 4cylinder Perkins do you have in there now?

Could the 4-236 (TA) be modified for more boost/more power?

lak2004
12-18-2007, 11:57
The motor mounts we designed for our conversion will fit a chassis that accepts GM V-8 motor mounts, without modifying the frame mounts. :)

Jim

Any specs on these mounts? For sale at all? Thanks

More Power
12-18-2007, 12:05
We don't sell parts, but the full-size drawings for the upper mounts are included in the Duramax Conversion Guide (http://www.thedieselpage.com/duramaxconversions.htm). These upper mounts (that bolt to the block) work with the factory GM 1988-98 C/K style lower mounts (the half with the rubber). :)

Jim