PDA

View Full Version : Jeep/MB 220D.

DickWells
04-26-2008, 15:46
:)Just occured to me that I've never posted in the DP about the old CJ5 (67, I think) Willys that my son put a 72 Mercedes 220D engine, transmission, PS, PB, heater/DF, steering gear/wheel, and complete instruments into, back in 83, or 84. He still has it. Hasn't started it in several years, but it always started right up and ran fine, every time.
Adapting that MB 4speed manual to the Jeep transfer case was a bear, but we did it, without leaks and no vibration. Modified the input shaft in the TC by machining an oil seal bore into the front case and bolting it back into the front of the case, since the transmission held it there previousely. Used a Jeep sliding gear ahead of the TC on the trans output shaft, which was modified by the local machine shop. Mated it up to the MB 3 finger output universal. We made a jig to hold the trans and TC while we welded up 3/8X2.5" steel bars, which were bolted onto the two units. Weld a little here, then go to the other side to bring it back, all the while indicating on the shaft for run-out. Well, you sort of had to be there. When we were done, we had about .001 run out with everything torqued up and cold.
Had to raise the springs over the axles, to clear the (modified) oil pan. He mixed up the shift rods on re-assembly, so the shift patern was like no other. Made it just about impossible to steal it and drive away!
He only registered and drove it for a couple of years. Pretty top heavy, and squirrelly, but fun. If I live long enough, I'd like to put enough tire and suspention under it to make it worth putting back on the road.
Just thought some-one out there might like to hear about one more one-off rig.
Dick Wells:)

HH
04-27-2008, 06:52
That sounds pretty cool. There is a guy on the earlycj5 (http://www.earlycj5.com/forums/) board who is putting a Benz diesel in a M38A1 jeep. You should post some photos.

DickWells
04-27-2008, 13:06
I'd want to spruce things up before I'd post a photo of the thing. The soft top went away years ago, the seats are bad, it never did have a decent paint job, and on and on. I always thought that it would look nice with a camo piant job and maybe a bikini top. Big wheels and tires for sure. With those, the old 220 would need a boost from a turbo, and I'll bet the innards wouldn't take kindly to that. Never was much for power, stock. Maybe someday, when I'm tired of running the roads.
Most of the mileage that we put on was in the hay fields, pulling a tedder, or a rake. Was great fun.
Dick Wells:)