PDA

View Full Version : another detroit conversion. need info.

smoker without a cause
04-20-2009, 16:39
I've got an 84 chevy 3/4 ton that was a 6.2. but is now engineless. i came across a video on youtube of a detroit in a chevy a week ago and can`t sleep because i`m thinking about how cool it would be to have one. I have a line on a 453 in petibone forklift. would this engine work? or is there a better place to source one from? I also have a four speed from a 79 4x4 chevy 3/4ton that i was hoping i could use. any info would help.

GeeDubya
04-21-2009, 10:01
I wouldn't bother.
I have a '67 F-250 4WD that I put a 453 Detroit in, back in '76. Believe me, it is the wrong choice...the bare block is 1200#. Lots of fabrication to make it fit.:mad:
I mated it to a New Process 435 4speed, with a warner OD unit in front of the 435. Lots of gears! I pulled a 5thW trailer all over the US with it. It was quite a talking piece in it's day. I still have the truck...use it as a yard donkey!
Back then you couldn't get a diesel in a pickup. Now there are many choices. I have a second generation Dodge with the CTD and an '06 GMC Duramax. The Duramax beats all the others, hands down. I would opt for a LBZ Duramax/Allison. You will be much happier.:)

Liftgate
05-03-2009, 16:25
Hi Smoker. Hope I can help some. I have put a 4-53 in a 64 chevy carryall 4x4 and it was a lot of work but fun. It is a real heavy engine, 1200 lbs dry. If you have coil springs on the front of your 84 you might need to get something stronger to hold the weight. Power steering is a plus. I don't have it but it would be nice! An engine from a forklift would need a different governor for the road. You need a Double weight- limiting speed governor. The forklift probably has a variable speed governor. You can tell by the little plate on the side of the governor. It should say "SW-VS" or "DW-LS". If you want to use a manual trans. there are housings available. Good luck and let me know if you need anymore help. I hope this helps some. Like GeeDubya said, there are a lot of factory diesels available now! There is nothing like a detroit though!:)

andysfords
08-16-2009, 14:05
I have a 3-53 in an 85 1 ton chevy, mine was easy, it came out of a Gamma goat so it already had a bell housing that would bolt to my tranny, I custom made motor mounts which was plenty easy, didn't need any wires, I put a manual shut off cable on it, so there was no wiring at all, extremely easy drop in. The truck with a direct drive tranny and 4.11 gears tops out at 60 mph, it is a great farm truck and a great truck to buzz around in, great mileage, very underpowered, hard to pull a hill. The bottom radiator hose came off one day in the road, cracked the head, so now I am waiting on a head. You will have a fun vehicle, but not a very useful one. There are four main rear housings, there is a bell housing to bolt a number 3 housings to a Chevrolet tranny.