PDA

View Full Version : Looking to purchase a diesel, my frist one

GhostTrigger27
08-03-2009, 09:05
Hello,

I found this website on yahoo, doing some research on trucks. I am looking to purchase a diesel for the first time. I currently have a 2006 Acura TL that I would be looking to trade in or sell. I am looking to get a 2006 - 2008 Chevy 2500 HD Duramax, I was wondering if all of you could help me with some questions. I drive about 40 miles to work and 40 home everyday, how would the Duramax handle I-94 traffic on a daily basis and would it still get around 20 mpg. I have ready a lot about chiping a diesel, would that help with mpg or would that just void the warrany. I have a friend that has a 2006 Chevy 2500 HD, and I love it. Just borrowed it for the weekend and had a great time with it. Any help would be great!!

Thanks
GT27

npauli
08-04-2009, 04:10
how would the Duramax handle I-94 traffic on a daily basis and would it still get around 20 mpg

Some combinations of year, truck configuration, driver, route, and traffic can get 20mpg easy. When I first got mine, I was getting just over 20mpg on my 20 minute commute of mostly 70mph interstate. Now, I'm getting even better than that, but with a lot of attention to how I drive (and no big hurry to get where I'm going).

What's you're traffic like, and how much of a hurry are you in?

I am looking to get a 2006 - 2008 Chevy 2500 HD Duramax
Definately go for something before the 2007 emissions kicked in (no DPF and better fuel economy).

I have ready a lot about chiping a diesel, would that help with mpg or would that just void the warrany.

Anything that advances timing is likely to improve both power and mpg, at the expense of higher NOx emissions, higher cylinder temps & pressures, and probably more headaches with warranty work. Others here probably have a better feel for the warranty effect. One option is to get a 2nd ECM and keep the stock one for warranty work. KennedyDiesel.com has got a custom tune that you can get loaded on a spare ECM.

GhostTrigger27
08-04-2009, 07:45
You are the third person to tell me to get a 2006, what was changed in the emissions in 2007? The traffic I sit in can be bad on some days, it is about 45 miles from my house to work with no traffic doing about 75 - 80 mph. But there are times it can take 2 hours. What would a spare ECM cost to keep handy?

Thanks for your help!! This has been a tough decision for me.

npauli
08-04-2009, 09:39
The EPA regulations for on-road diesels stepped up in [older years +] 2001, 2004, 2007, 2010. They don't tell the manufacturers what technology to use, but limit the emissions of the finished product.

The earlier years mostly just led to electronic controls and fancier fuel & air systems.
Many started using EGR in 2004.
All that I know of started using DPF's in 2007
Many, but not all, will start using urea in 2010

While some of the new technology was good all the way around (some of the improvements in fuel, air & control systems), some of these stricter regulations have led to compromiseses in other things, like cost, reliability, and fuel economy. I think the 2007 emissions were particularly rough on fuel economy, though I don't know exactly why the new systems use so much fuel.

The traffic I sit in can be bad on some days, it is about 45 miles from my house to work with no traffic doing about 75 - 80 mph. But there are times it can take 2 hours.

Doesn't sound like a recipe for 20mpg to me. The hybrid silverado would do better with the stop & go traffic, but that has it's own limitations (payload and price). No truck will get good mpg at 80mph. Aerodynamics are a big deal at higher speeds, and trucks aren't aerodynamic.

christophersond
08-04-2009, 11:57
Much has been said, in the various forums, about the mileage of the Duramax trucks. I have owned trucks with the LB7, LBZ, and LMM engines--all of them were 2500HD, Crew Cab, with 4WD. I can honestly say that I have not noticed an appreciable difference in mileage from one engine/truck to the other. I personally do not buy a 3/4 ton, diesel powered truck, with expectations of getting high MPG. I do know these are awesome trucks right off the shelf when referring to power, torque, and speed. If you temper your driving habits, I am sure you will be pleased with the Duramax performance, to include mileage.:D