Thread: Aftermarket overdrive/gear splitter questions

Default Aftermarket overdrive/gear splitter questions

I want to install an aftermarket over drive in my truck. First question is, is it an aftermarket over drive or a gear splitter? I have heard them called different things. Also, which one do you all recommend? The only two I know of are from Gear Venders and US Gear. I am leaning towards the Gear Venders model.

http://www.gearvendors.com/f2wd4s.html

http://www.usgear.com/dual_range.htm

Are there any other options out there I should consider? What should I know before entering into such an expense?
    1995 Ford F350 Crew Cab Dually with a 7.3 liter Powerstroke
    198? Chevy aircraft tugger with a 6.2 liter "Tugger"

I went through this back in 2000, so i don't know how much I remember or if the info is still relevant.

The US Gear unit is mostly an overdrive unit, and according to the US Gear rep it can get stuck in neutral. It also is prone to gear noise although with the newer style synthetic gear oils this may be a non-issue now. I also think that the US Gear unit is not one that works to split gears in an auotmatic, but may be possible with a manual trans. IT has good strength and is less expensive than the Gear Vendor unit. This works well with low geared hot rods that want to cruise without the motor screaming to 4000 RPMs on the highway. I also think this is the unit Ford and Volvo used for their overdrive units before there were 4, 5, and 6 speed autos (don't hold me to this).

The Gear Vendor unit is more expensive, can also be prone to gear noise, but can be wired to work in conjunction with your auto trans to "split" the gears, for example; 1st, 1st od, 2nd, 2nd od and so on until you get OD OD. This keeps the engine from loosing too many RPMs between shifts which can increase useful power available and possibly increase fuel mileage. THis unit can also be had in underdrive configuration, 1st under, 1st, 2nd under, 2nd, etc. This gives you more off-the-line grunt. It will also handle up to 1200lbs ft of torque.

Depending on your app., mine was towing in a '94 Chevy Dooley 7.4 gasser, and my choice was the Gear Vendor unit, but then I bought the 2001 Duramax and this just faded into history.

Gear Vendor would be my choice again. I am unaware of any other options in auxillary OD units.
    JP
    Jeff

"But officer, I ain't Speedin', I'm just flyin' low"

2001 Silverado 3500 Dually LS Ext Cab, 6.6L Diesel, Banks Stinger Kit, 4" Exhaust, VR Straps, Bilstein shocks, 255/85/16 BFG KM2s
    2004 Suburban 2500 LT 6.0L 4x4, Bilstein Shocks, Federico front/rear sway bars
    1996 Caprice 5.7L LT1, B4U Suspension, KYB shocks & Hotchkis sway bars, BMR RCA - alas I miss ya.
    2013 Caprice PPV 6.0L

Thanks, that was very informative.
    1995 Ford F350 Crew Cab Dually with a 7.3 liter Powerstroke
    198? Chevy aircraft tugger with a 6.2 liter "Tugger"