Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cracked 6.5L GEP/AM General Block

Default Cracked 6.5L GEP/AM General Block

Was going to upload pics but this sight has limitations on it i guess. Anyway have a 24,000 mile engine with all three 4 bolt main webs broke/cracked and nobody wants to stand behind it. By the way this is in a all STOCK 92 3/4 ton 4x4 with factory turbo. Just a little FYI for future buyers. $6500.00 Paper weight

Interesting........ Keep us informed about this. What's the complete history of the engine?(supplier, install date, etc.) I was just talking to a friend today about wether I should buy a GEP engine to build an 18:1 on or just use one of my 'seasoned' blocks.

Hey klink, PM me and i'll give you my email address so you can send me the pics'. I have some software i can resize those and post them, also the 'place would be interested in that as well.
    Don
    1993 6.5 3500 DWR Ext Cab
    205,000 miles, GM-8 turbo, 3" downpipe,
    straight exhaust to duals, '97 Airbox,
    fabb'd mech boost controller, 1/4 turnup on 4911, triple gauges

Arrow

If you have pics too large to attach to a post, upload them to the TDP Photo Album, and link them into the page. The Photo Album is available to all registered users, and the size restrictions are much more generous than the inline attachments, and it will automatically resize images to several sizes. PM/email me or a mod for help with this, if needed.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Just a suggestion here. Please make sure that before you post the vendor you got it from, make sure you’ve contacted them and they refuse to warrantee or do anything for you. Not fair to post the vendor in a "no support" thread if you haven't checked with them first. I assume you have also contact AMG? You can contact them from their website, I've done it a few times and they are very responsive. It would be nice to know what their responses are.

Very disconcerting if a new AMG crate motor cracked. Was your engine a complete engine including IP? Reason I ask is that I believe complete engines are test fired and the IP is set correctly. If not, did you or a mechanic set the IP? I would think that if the IP were set too far retarded it would probably put a lot of additional stress on the internals including the block webbing. Just curious.

Art.
    Art Paltz
    1999 Suburban K2500 6.5TD (stock)
    2000 Undercover Dragster, 468 BBC, 7.74@173MPH, waiting on new 622 aluminum BBC to be finished.
    1992 Tube Chassis Camaro, 468 BBC, 8.54@157MPH (SOLD)
    1987 Buick Grand National, 11.8@114, pump gas (for sale)
    1969 Camaro SS/RS 396-350HP, stock restoration, it never leaves the garage...

Arrow

I found this post made by klink Nov 9, 2007.
    http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/t...ad.php?t=29836

In it he said:

Quote Originally Posted by klink k5 View Post
    I bought a NEW 6.5l form international diesel engines out of brooklyn New York in july 2005. I have a little over 20,000 miles on it and devistation stuck the other day. I was driving it down the road and I lost all of my heat. I shut it down to check the coolant level and it was low. I filled it with water to find the leak, I did not see any running out of the engine so I checked the oil level. Boy it was FULL! I pulled the pan last night to find the problem and This DAM NEW ENGINE main webs cracked on #2 & #3 main webs! Why would the latest and greatest block fail already? Engine showed no signs of FAILURE or Problems at ALL! Still ran good before pulling the pan. Now I have nothing, were do I get a NEW BLOCK to FIX MYengine.
    I would want to get a careful look at it before assuming it's a newer AMG engine. The complete forum thread linked here raises some questions...

Jim

Using the posted casting numbers from the other thread, can anyone verify this is in fact an AMG block? Maybe it's a new block with a suspect crank or bad balancer. You start a crank wobbling and even the best block is going to fail.

Art.
    Art Paltz
    1999 Suburban K2500 6.5TD (stock)
    2000 Undercover Dragster, 468 BBC, 7.74@173MPH, waiting on new 622 aluminum BBC to be finished.
    1992 Tube Chassis Camaro, 468 BBC, 8.54@157MPH (SOLD)
    1987 Buick Grand National, 11.8@114, pump gas (for sale)
    1969 Camaro SS/RS 396-350HP, stock restoration, it never leaves the garage...

I thought this thread was a Deja Vu thread...

I went back and reread the original threadI have seen 3 of the Chinese copies now from 2 different sources and they did NOT have any logos that I recognized.If this engine in question did have a navistar Logo I wonder what the deal is?I am very suspect that this is some sort of bag of worms that was turned loose on an unsuspecting buyer. I have seen one bare Navisitar block in a local shop that had bought it from lord knows who.It was in fine shape according to the shop keeper (he is on the up and up always)It will be interesting to see any Pix if Klink ever posts any. I have asked him to send me some via my email but have yet to hear a response.We shall see.Robyn
    (1) 1995 Suburban 2500 4x4
    (1) 1997 Astro
    (1) 2005 Suburban (Papa Smurf)
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY

Since my Peninsular/AMG engine is in a diesel pusher, I can look all around the engine; anyone know where the casting IDs would be? I may even be able to take photos.
    '94 Barth 28' Breakaway M/H ("StaRV II") diesel pusher: Spartan chassis, aluminum birdcage construction. Peninsular/AMG 6.5L TD (230HP), 18:1, Phazer, non-wastgated turbo, hi-pop injectors, 4L80E (Sun Coast TC & rebuild, M-H Pan), Dana 80 (M-H Cover), Fluidampr, EGT, trans temp, boost gage. Honda EV-4010 gaso genset, furnace, roof air, stove, microwave/convection, 2-dr. 3-way reefer. KVH R5SL Satellite. Cruises 2, sleeps 4, carries 6, and parties 8 (parties 12 - tested).

Stand-ins are an '02 Cadillac Escalade AWD 6.0L and an '06 Toyota Sienna Limited.

Thanks! I have a pretty full dance card tomorrow, but will try to get pix of the casting numbers.
    '94 Barth 28' Breakaway M/H ("StaRV II") diesel pusher: Spartan chassis, aluminum birdcage construction. Peninsular/AMG 6.5L TD (230HP), 18:1, Phazer, non-wastgated turbo, hi-pop injectors, 4L80E (Sun Coast TC & rebuild, M-H Pan), Dana 80 (M-H Cover), Fluidampr, EGT, trans temp, boost gage. Honda EV-4010 gaso genset, furnace, roof air, stove, microwave/convection, 2-dr. 3-way reefer. KVH R5SL Satellite. Cruises 2, sleeps 4, carries 6, and parties 8 (parties 12 - tested).

Stand-ins are an '02 Cadillac Escalade AWD 6.0L and an '06 Toyota Sienna Limited.

Back to the top, I'm working on getting pics out with a couple of guys. Thanks, you'll like the pics so stay tuned.

Quote Originally Posted by rustyk View Post
    Thanks! I have a pretty full dance card tomorrow, but will try to get pix of the casting numbers.
    While I can see the casting, I can't get a good reading - gonna take making a tool to clean off the numbers. I'm on the road now, until 3/10...

I am finally done with AM General/GEP. They said to me today-from a rep at GEP(4/2/08) and i quote" I dont care about your engine, even if we built it, you need to go back to the origional vendor. This conversation is over." So who wants pics? Info, whatever...................I'm selling out now.......... Their position is to sell a engine to anybody(dealers) with out ANY KIND OF WARRANTY!!!!!!! The dealer has to provide their OWN warranty on the engine THEY SELL> that they BUY FROM GEP! Thats how AM GENERAL/GEP does bussiness!!!!!!!!!!!! They do not honor any of there products. Build junk, sell it and forget it. I wish I could have a bussiness with "no liabilities" My vendor that I bought the engine from has gone thru loops and over hurdles and around anda around with GEP and about the block I have cracked. Ive been working on this issue since OCTOBER 2007 and here is the Awnser folks. GEP sells all of their engines out of their factory WITH NO WARRANTY. Ther vendors/buyers make there own warrantys after they buy the engines from GEP, reguardless if it blows up on start up, oil pump falure, bad pistion, any or all other falures, they CLAIM NO RESPONSIBILITY after they sell it, IT IS DONE (This is how your main GM Parts division gets there engines also) My advise, by from GM dealer, pay the price and get the 3yr warrany. #$%k the lowballers. Man am I pissed. Anyone have a good non GEP block for sale? I fixed this truck because I heard how great the optomizer 6500 was supposed to be and truthfully heard about all of the block improvements and thought it was the ticket to give life to this daily driver again! Or who wants to buy a cherry 1992 K2500 4x4 reg cab with a BAD ENGINE! I stuck 8,000.00 into this truck 2 years ago cause it was worth fixing(it is that nice) now it is a piece of crap

This is why it's important to deal with a reliable vendor who will go the extra mile to satisfy his customers. Ultimately, it is the vendor who must solicit help from AMG, or the vendor provides a replacement himself. You should not have to deal with the manufacturer.

I know of at least one authorized AMG vendor who works with AMG regarding warranty.

Jim

Default block

If your interested I may have block and heads "f" type
    98 c/c l/b 4x4 dually 6.5td i/c,boost cntrl,boch h/f,4in straight ex,boost/pyro guages &h/f air

Arrow

This really isn't all that surprising. AMG/GEP are doing us a favor, for lack of a better term. They were contracted to supply military use engines. They have been allowed by the military contractor to sell surplus to the public. The military doesn't get a warranty from the mfg. They are their own warranty dept. If you bought a new H-1, would you expect warranty service from the mfg? They don't offer it to the primary contracted buyer, why would they offer it to you? You would have to deal with the seller. The new engines are superior to previous engines, but there will still be failures. It's the nature of the beast. It's unfortunate you got one, but your problem lies with the vendor/supplier, not the manufacturer. In the end, too many complaints by consumers in regards to their place of purchase may cause AMG/GEP to stop selling outside their contracts. That way, there would be no more consumer complaints about failed product. But at the same time, there won't be any consumer product to complain about.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Ok all understandable, but do you like your old pickup/vechile so much you are willing to spend 6500.00+labor every couple of years to run 20,000 miles on a NEW engine? Gee, dosent seem economical to me.