Thread: LMM and performance add ons

Default LMM and performance add ons

I have a friend who would like to add a 'chip' or programmer type aftermarket hop ups to his 08 LMM. He (like everyone else is looking for better fuel mileage and still able to tow his 13k Fifth wheel).

I bought an 06 to duck all that new emissions stuff. When you add the programmers do you pull the DPF and related emissions stuff? I can't imagine piping that performance THROUGH the DPF!

I don't know anything about these at all. I am just asking, doing a little research to help him make a better choice! Any suggestions on a programmer or performance enhancers for the LMM?
    Scott
    St. Louis, MO

'06 Silverado K2500 4x4 Crew Cab D/A "Big Max" AmpResearch retractable Running Boards, 4" Turbo back Kennedy Exhaust, Kennedy Custom Tune!
    '99 BMW K1200LT "Special K" my other "SUV"
    '07 Salem by Forest River Fifth Wheel Toy Hauler

My '09 3500 Sierra 4by is pulling around 18mpg. That's with less than 2K miles on it, plenty of warmup time in the cold weather, no cetane boosters and running no harder than 65 mph.

My performance enhancers will be limited to a retractable bed cover and Opti-Lube XPD added to the fuel.

Although... I had a dream the other night wherein I put a lift kit on the arse-end of the truck... installed Dick Cepek Gumbo Monster Mudder tires on the rear and a set of GMC oem donut tires on the front... so the truck would be rolling downhill at all times. In the dream, I took it out on I-80 just west of Salt Lake City and released the parking brake. It started rolling like a King Tiger through a battallion of Shermans. The acceleration continued... burning out the brakes as I tried to slow it down on that long straightaway. I woke up just as the speed was starting to warp the space-time continuum.

Wow!
    Last edited by WyoDutch; 12-08-2009 at 19:37.

2009 GMC SLT 3500 Xtended Cab 6.6L
    Lubricated By Rotella T-6 and Amsoil EAO52 Filter

Quote Originally Posted by WyoDutch View Post
    My '09 3500 Sierra 4by is pulling around 18mpg. That's with less than 2K miles on it, plenty of warmup time in the cold weather, no cetane boosters and running no harder than 65 mph.

My performance enhancers will be limited to a retractable bed cover and Opti-Lube XPD added to the fuel.

Although... I had a dream the other night wherein I put a lift kit on the arse-end of the truck... installed Dick Cepek Gumbo Monster Mudder tires on the rear and a set of GMC oem donut tires on the front... so the truck would be rolling downhill at all times. In the dream, I took it out on I-80 just west of Salt Lake City and released the parking brake. It started rolling like a King Tiger through a battallion of Shermans. The acceleration continued... burning out the brakes as I tried to slow it down on that long straightaway. I woke up just as the speed was starting to warp the space-time continuum.

Wow!
    ....hmmmm I think you might have had pepperoni pizza...pizza always makes me have CRAZY dreams!
    Scott
    St. Louis, MO

'06 Silverado K2500 4x4 Crew Cab D/A "Big Max" AmpResearch retractable Running Boards, 4" Turbo back Kennedy Exhaust, Kennedy Custom Tune!
    '99 BMW K1200LT "Special K" my other "SUV"
    '07 Salem by Forest River Fifth Wheel Toy Hauler

There will always be risk involved, but we have a pretty simple way around it. He'd basically follow the same ECM swap program that you have done and tehn for exhaust he can do as he pleases. Remember, the more that is altered, the more work that needs to be done to return to stock. A DPF "test" pipe is simplest. I now have protective plugs to prevent the OE harness pins from corroding when unplugged. If he were to remove the DPF the sensors can remain undisturbed in the OE pipe.

On the flip side, it IS possible to have inmproved performance with the DPF in place, but while I have not had complaints with my tuning (heard plenty of overactive regens with others) I make no promises on regen frequency if it is kept intact.
    Kennedy Diesel-owner
    More than just a salesman-I use and test the products that I sell on a daily basis!
    Superflow Lie Detector in house
    2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT 11.77@ 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
    2005 Chev K3500SRW D/A CC Long LT(SOLD)
    2007 Chev K2500 Classic EC Short LT (Sold)
    2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Happy Birthday to me! Built 1 working day after my birthday and delivered 7 days later.
    2016 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC short LTZ

Custom tuning in house using EFI Live tuning software!