Thread: GM Canada Recall Blower Motor Resistor Fire Hazard

Default GM Canada Recall Blower Motor Resistor Fire Hazard

GM Canada Recall Blower Motor Resistor Fire Hazard
    Road Safety Recalls Database Print this Page
    Transport Canada Recall # 2011074 Recall Date 2011/02/21 Notification Type Safety TC System Heater And Defroster Manufacturer Recall Number 11046 Units Affected 190,310 Category Light Truck & Van, SUV Recall Details On certain vehicles, the interface between the electrical terminals of the Heating, Ventilation, and Air Conditioning (HVAC) blower relay resistor module and the wiring connector (which powers the module) may be incapable of conducting higher current levels for sustained periods of operation. In addition, moisture and other contaminants (such as road de-icing materials) may enter the fresh air intake plenum and contact the internal circuit of the module or corrode the terminals. These conditions may cause the relay resistor module or wiring connector to overheat, causing various symptoms such as: the HVAC blower may not function on certain or all blower speed settings; a burning-plastic smell or smoke may be present in the vehicle, or; the HVAC blower may run continually with the ignition in the OFF position. These warning signs could, in certain instances, be leading indicators of an impending vehicle fire, which could result in property damage and/or personal injury. Correction: Owners will be provided with additional warranty coverage for the blower motor resistor module/wiring connector overheating condition. Under this "special warranty coverage", should this condition occur within 10 years or 240,000 km from first vehicle registration, dealers will install a replacement blower motor resistor and resistor module connector. MakeModelModel Year(s) Affected CHEVROLET AVALANCHE 2003 2004 2005 2006 CHEVROLET SILVERADO 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 CHEVROLET SUBURBAN 2003 2004 2005 2006 CHEVROLET TAHOE 2003 2004 2005 2006 GMC SIERRA 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 GMC YUKON 2003 2004 2005 2006 GMC YUKON XL 2003 2004 2005 2006

2005 Chevrolet Silverado blower resistor fire

Carquestions - Ottawa - In late February GM Canada started to send out recall notices for 190,310 Chevrolet and GMC full size pickups such as the Silverado and Sierra. Transport Canada issued arecall notice February 21 covering both models and their sister vehicles from 2003 to 2007. It seems GM Canada thinks the cold climate and road salt has caused the defroster blower motor resistor module located under the dash to malfunction. Owners are told the blower motor may stop working, stay working with the key off or start smoking. They go on to say you can reduce the risk of a vehicle fire if you don't leave your vehicle unattended. To top off the good safety news they tell you that you can expect a second letter telling you when to bring your vehicle in since they don't have the parts on hand to fix it - you see they have contacted their parts supplier and are making arrangements, how very reassuring.

The three most ridiculous things about this recall are that there has been complaintsabout this online for some time at carcomplaints.com since at least September 2010 and on NHTSA since July last year.

The second ridiculous thing is that GM could put in a temporary fix right away to keep you and your family safe by simply putting in a fused wire and have the fan run at full speed - at least you'd be safe and have a working fan motor. GM has decided just to inform you of this fire hazard for now thus limiting their liability. In the mean time you are expected to make sure your Silverado doesn't burn down your house before they can find the parts to fix it.

The most ridiculous thing of all is that NHTSA received from GM a foreign recall notice telling them about the Canadian recall the same day they had a recall in Canada. The letter also tells NHTSA that on January 27, 2010 GM executives agreed to offer US truck owners a special warranty of 10 years or 150,00 miles and if they had any further questions to please give them a call - Ridiculous - NHTSA to date has not issued any recall regarding this issue. Carquestions will be posting this on US Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood's Facebook page. Maybe he can kick this into gear like he did to Toyota, it should be a no-brainer for him since this problem is real and not imagined like the Toyota problem was. It's beginning to appear that NHTSA can't get GM or Ford to recall anything unless they say so. Just look at the recent Ford pickup airbag recall drama where they gave NHTSA the finger for a few months. NHTSA's claim last year to get tough on the manufacturers seems to be xenophobic or just old fashioned garden variety racism when it comes to putting words to practice.

In the interim Carquestions is advising owners to disconnect all connections to the blower motor and resistor and to take every precaution parking your vehicle away from all buildings until you have your vehicle fixed.

Special thanks to Brian Ross of ABC News and David Shepardson of the Detroit News for not taking the time to cover this story.

CC

Default Blower motor fire

Thanks for posting this information! It was 28 deg. this morning in northern California, and when I was defrosting the windows on my 07 Silverado 1500, with the fan on high speed, white smoke started to fill the cab under the glove box. I turned the fan off and even pulled the key but it was still running and on the verge of combustion. Fortunately I had a crescent wrench under the seat and disconected the battery, and saved the truck. After a google search, I found your forum, as well as many other similar incidents on other web sites. Thanks for alerting us to a recall (no thanks to GM). Can anyone tell me which fuse to deactivate the power to the blower harness? I have the diagram inside the fuse box, but can't determine the right one. I would like to be able to drive to a service dept rather than involve a tow.
    Thanks!

Arrow

If it's a recall under warranty, the dealership will arrange for a tow at their expense. Call them and explain the situation. I would not suggest connecting the power. Let them do it, after fixing the problem.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com