Thread: Check engine code.. PO234

Default Check engine code.. PO234

I have towed in all three settings, about 5000-5500 pounds with a three stage Super Chip.. On both higher settings I have tripped my engine light.. Code number PO234.. Looked it up at all data, excessive boost.. According to the article, that code will only trip if the turbo exceeds 35 lbs of boost.. I was under the impression that the Dmax turbo wont excess 25 lbs... ??? I have had the light 3 times out of 6 trips.. On each occasion, it felt like the truck reverted to stock settings until I cleared the code... Have never had a code while daily driving.. Even on the higher setting...

Any input on the code would be appreciated.. Is the "excessive boost" gonna cost me bucks????

Thanks in advance for all your help guys
    So what if Im Krazy, there is never a dull moment!!

Let me guess: 2001 model?
    Kennedy Diesel-owner
    More than just a salesman-I use and test the products that I sell on a daily basis!
    Superflow Lie Detector in house
    2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT 11.77@ 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
    2005 Chev K3500SRW D/A CC Long LT(SOLD)
    2007 Chev K2500 Classic EC Short LT (Sold)
    2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Happy Birthday to me! Built 1 working day after my birthday and delivered 7 days later.
    2016 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC short LTZ

Custom tuning in house using EFI Live tuning software!

Quote Originally Posted by Kennedy View Post
    Let me guess: 2001 model?
    2002 2500 HD Silverado.. Just turned 100K... Well, in a couple days it will...

You make it sound like a common code???

Nate, I have an 01' and it was doing the same thing. Try searching "overboost" and you might find that thread. I installed an airaid intake and suddenly was getting an overboost code while attacking hills pulling my 30' 5'er. Never happend except when under big load. Took it to the dealer and asked for an ECM update to the 2002. (reccommended by some on this site) Of course they(dealer) said there is no way to do that. Not sure what they did but it has never happend again. Talk to John Kennedy on here he has the knowledge and the tuning capabilty to take care of it and you could get rid of the super chip. Make sure your filter is clean and the MAF is clean and oil free. Not positive what the max boost pressure is for the 02'.
    Shed
    01' LB7 2500 HD ext.cab, auto, 4" magnaflow, airaid intake, Mag-Hytec tranny pan, all Amsoil, Bilsteins.

In pusuit of the perfect camper pulling rig....

05'-30' Pilgrim 5th wheel

Always on the road headin for a campsite!

I thought I could revive this thread.. I didnt have any problems for the longest time.. Then four times towing, got the code each time.. PO234.. Didnt change the way the truck ran or anything and the code light shut it self off after the next start up.. This is driving me nuts, my buddys scan tool doesnt show any other codes tripped, only the PO234..

So, since it shuts itself off after the next start up, is this something I can ignore or what?

You are getting this on a 2002 model because of your freeflowing intake and exhaust, allowing higher boost pressures.

Run it on a lower setting, or live with the code. Just because you aren't limping, don't think you aren't putting extra stress on your torque converter and tranny clutches, you are.

Why tow under high power settings? Its asking for a big fat repair bill down the road. Head gasket repair is the most likely outcome of overboost. 2002 LB7 should be limited to +40hp when towing, in my experience.

Good luck!
    Last edited by Mark Rinker; 01-28-2009 at 18:17.
    2011 Chevrolet Tahoe 5.3L daily driver
    • Previous owner of two 1994 6.5L K3500s, '01, '02, and '05 6.6L K2500s, '04 C4500, '06 K3500 dually, '06 K3500 SRW, '09 K3500HD SRW, '05 Denali
    • Total GM diesel miles to date : ~950K

Thanks for the input Mark.. It tripped the code on the lowest setting which I think is 25 hp and 75 ft lbs.. Ill tow it stock and see if it pops the code again.. It does concern me that its doing it tho, just trying to figure a remedy