Thread: Convert a 8v71 Detroit Diesel to a 8v71T (turbo)

Default Convert a 8v71 Detroit Diesel to a 8v71T (turbo)

Alright guys, I need some questions answered. I have a 8v71 detroit in my semi and I would really like to convert it over to a 8v71T, which means throw a turbo on it. I dont even know if its possible, but anything is possible, right?? So dont make me look stupid lol. Serious answers and help only please! Thanks guys

*If possible, what all would I need to do/change?
    *Would the heads even hold up or would they just get blowed to pieces?
    *Would I be better just leavin her as she is and just finding a 8v71T down the road for a project truck?

Throw 'em at me fellas!
    [SIZE=4][COLOR=black]1972 International CO4070A w/318 Detroit Diesel[/COLOR][/SIZE]

*someday in the future = '02 Chevy 2500HD Duramax sled puller, and a V12 Detroit diesel in a semi sled puller

Default Adding a TURBO

Adding a turbo to a Detroit 8V71, 318 HP will up it to 350 HP. That was a factory option for 8V71 Detroits. It has been about 35 years since I converted one to a 350 HP but the first thing necessary will be to buy the turbo, exhaust manifold and cross over pipe. I think that you will only need one exhast manifold. You will also need to check the build sheet for your motor. It is an aluminium tag on the valve cover and it will tell you what injectors and cam timeing your motor has. If the aluminium tag is missing you can pull the valve cover and look at the side if the injector for the ID#. Determining the cam timeing is much harder without the aluminium tag. You would need to pull the transmission, clutch, flywheel and bellhousing to physically look at the timeing gears behind the bellhousing. If I rember correctly there are three settings, retarded timeing, standard timeing and advanced timeing. I think large injectors and advanced timeing was used with the turbo to get 350HP.

Good luck, a DD 8V71 is like a 283 Chevy or a flathead V8 Fo#* they will run forever.

*2006 Chevy, 3500, 4X4, DRW, (LBZ) D/A, CC, LT, 252K Miles, 19.5" Wheels, Mag Hytec Transmission Pan and Differential Cover, SS Grill Guard, Racor 2 micron aux fuel filter, 100 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank, using Edge Evolution, Predator Diablosport, Kennedy ECM tune, Fitch Fuel Catalyst.

*2006 Four Winds, Dutchman, 36', RV, D/A, 5500 Kodiak.
    *1993 Harley Davidson, Turbo charged, Springer Softail.
    *2007 Pontiac Solstice.
    *2005 Jeep, Liberty, CRD (diesel).
    *Full-timing in USA, see America first.

BUY AMERICAN or CANADIAN, NOTHING from CHINA .