Thread: Class A motor home.

Default Class A motor home.

First time on this particular forum for me, after all these years.
    Any input about the 8.1 L V8? There's a motor home near here with that engine, and I just might want to give it a more thorough going over, since it's in very good condition and available at a really reasonable price. Amazing, from what we saw yesterday, how much rolling stock you can get for your money if you are willing to step into a Class A.

Oh! Can anyone tell me how the 8.1 stacks up against the Ford V10? Gas mileage, power, etc.
    2008 Jaco Seneca 35' motor home (Kodiak 5500 chassis). Pulling 18' Wells Cargo enclosed trailer, with 2016 Miata in it.

Arrow

Mileage? Meh... It's a gas V8 motorhome. Not much difference between the lot of them. Conditions and driving habits set your mileage more than anything.

The 8.1L was/is a true workhorse, and a worthy uprate from the 454. Very few issues. Long term durability. Well mannered. LOTS of power (325/500, IIRC). Relatively economical if used wisely. It compliments the Allison tranny very well (which is a real bonus over the competition). There are several aftermarket tunes that will really wake it up (depending on how much gas you want to pour into it). I was very disappointed to see GM discontinue it.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com