Thread: 6.2 flywheel needed

Default 6.2 flywheel needed

I bought a 1983 GMC Jimmy with a 6.2 Diesel.

Want to put the 6.2 in my '89 Suburban, which I succesfully "manualized" last Fall with a Getrag 5-speed from an '88 pickup..

Jimmy had A/T, so I now need a real flywheel to replace the flexplate.

Having trouble searching for a flywheel because I do not know what applications had the 6.2 with M/T.

Seems I can find manual flywheels for the 6.5.....some say it will fit, maybe? Seems '83 6.2 would be "early"..... same flywheel?

Some state a risk of breaking crank when shutting-off... Is it the single or the dual-mass FW that will do this? How can that be? Surely engine torques FW harder on startup than FW will torque engine when engine is defuelled? Surely if I suddenly take foot off accelerator to slow down, governor defuels engine and FW PLUS whole truck sends more torque through crank flange than FW alone on shutoff?

So, what year/make/model donor vehicles should I look for for the best FW for this application?

Other cautions or suggestions?

TIA for your good advice!

AKMark is offline Building another 6.2L powered vehicle

Just buy a flywheel for a 6.2 with a manual transmission.

They were available for 82-92 models of Chevy/GMC pickups, Suburban's, Blazer's and Jimmy's.

I have gotten mine at Napa, and they always had it in stock.

Just run a clutch made for the same truck as well. If it was an 83 K-5, get a flywheel and clutch for that and just confirm that the clutch has the same number of teeth as the transmission. It should.
    05 2500HD CC LB LLY, 4x4, 3.73s 235/85R16's, webasto cab heater, to keep it warm.
    03 Buick Rendezvous - When you average over 80 miles per day driving around, you need one of these.
    85 K-5, 6.2, SM465, Rockwell T221, 1 tons, 36's. More goodies to be installed as time and money allows.
    82 K20, 6.2, SM465, NP208, stock except for bed rack, snow plow, and glow plugs are on a toggle switch. It works great for plowing!
    72 Postal Jeep - Yet another project

I have a used FW on the way. I just put a new clutch o nthe 350 when I converted it to manual trans... Will it fit the 6.2 flywheel?

Arrow

The gasser and Diesel FW's are very different (fit and design), and NOT interchangeable.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

AKMark is offline Building another 6.2L powered vehicle

The only parts from a gasser you can use on the Diesel are the Transmission, bellhousing, and clutch linkage. Flywheel, clutch, throwout bearing, flywheel and clutch bolts, etc should be from a Diesel only.
    05 2500HD CC LB LLY, 4x4, 3.73s 235/85R16's, webasto cab heater, to keep it warm.
    03 Buick Rendezvous - When you average over 80 miles per day driving around, you need one of these.
    85 K-5, 6.2, SM465, Rockwell T221, 1 tons, 36's. More goodies to be installed as time and money allows.
    82 K20, 6.2, SM465, NP208, stock except for bed rack, snow plow, and glow plugs are on a toggle switch. It works great for plowing!
    72 Postal Jeep - Yet another project

What worked for me was using a flywheel: casting# 14050525N with everything else from a 350 making sure the distance from block/ bellhousing split to clutch face of the flywheel is the same for both engines and the 350 pressure plate being able to bolt up to the 6.2 and also the clutch splines matching the input shaft, it should make the linkage adjustment be close.