Thread: Detroit 2-53 or 2-71----Nissan Hardbody

Default Detroit 2-53 or 2-71----Nissan Hardbody

I've got a '86.5 Nissan Hardbody 4x4 that was my first vehicle. The z24-gasser is getting ready to be pulled for the 3rd or 4th time, and I'm considering a Detroit Diesel swap.

Does anyone know the dimensions of these engines? My main concern is fitment in the engine bay. I know that a 26"x26"x26" 4-cylinder will fit in there with no problems. I'm not sure what the dimensions of the DD's are though.

It can't go over 65mph at the moment, so I'm not too concerned with power. I'd just like the ability to have an engine in there that will run forever, and occasionally partially run on its own used engine oil. And it will sound much better.

Hi
    Anything is posible,but i think you should look into finding a different donar motor.The Detroits are big heavy,and adapting to your trans will be tough.
    I think a Mercedes or a 4bt Cummins would be a better starting point.
    Good Luck
    Thomas
    90 Chev 3500 c/c 4x4,6.2na,400 auto,4:10 gears.DSG Timing gears,main girdle, isspro tach, pyro,boost,oil and trany temp.Dual Tstats, High volume peninsular pump,on shelf, Custom turbo and intercooler 85%complete. Change of plans for the dually, it's going to get a Cummins. Both trucks are Blue 90 4x4 crews

Even a 4B is going to be WAY heavy in that application. I think a better choice would be one of the smaller 4-cylinder diesels used in gensets, reefers, or industrial/marine applications, like the Onan L423/Cummins 4A2.3, Hercules D2300, Kubota V2203, maybe even a Nissan SD25T. These are all in the approximately 450lb range and may or may not allow you to simply bolt the flexplate/flywheel directly to the crank. I know you can with the Onan/Cummins (we have a bunch at work all running C6s), the D2300 sandwiches the flexplate between the torque converter and flywheel (held together by the torque converter studs & nuts), while the only thing I've ever seen the Kubota in was Bobcats so I'd imagine you'd have to fabricate a bellhousing adapter and automotive-type flywheel/flexplate. The Nissan engine will probably give the most power, IIRC from the few Nissan forklifts with them that I've worked on they make around 100HP. Don't know about what'll be necessary to use these in an automotive application, either.
    Phil

'90 Jeep Wrangler, 4.2l, AX15, Dana 30 & 35 with 3.07s (for now!) 4" Rough Country lift, 33x10.5x15 BFG KM2s

'91 F350 XLT Lariat crew cab, 2WD SRW, 7.3l IDI, ZF S5-42, 3.55 LSD.

I've found alot of Detroits locally. I plan on doing a straight axle underneath the front eventually. My father has spent alot of time working on them, so I can always refer to him when I hit a dead end.

I planned on adapting the Detroit over to a SBC bellhousing, and then running a chevy transmission/transfer case.

Hi
    I belive you wouln't have enough height in the engin bay.They are tall compaired to the rice rocket which lives there now.You will need to do a body lift and a hood scoop to shoehorn it under the hood.If you really want a detroit powerd truck a full size 4x4 with a straight axle would be a lot easyer home for one.
    Just my .02
    Thomas
    90 Chev 3500 c/c 4x4,6.2na,400 auto,4:10 gears.DSG Timing gears,main girdle, isspro tach, pyro,boost,oil and trany temp.Dual Tstats, High volume peninsular pump,on shelf, Custom turbo and intercooler 85%complete. Change of plans for the dually, it's going to get a Cummins. Both trucks are Blue 90 4x4 crews

It would be alot taller than the little engine thats in there now. It could use a body lift. Hood surgery would be fine as well.

I'm just wondering if anybody has ever put a 2 or 3 cylinder detroit into a smaller truck?

I've got a '66 Chevy full-size with a 327. I don't think my girlfriend would let anything but a Small Block Chevy reside in there however.

If it's your 66, maybe it's time for a new girlfriend!
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government."
    -Patrick Henry

A5150nut
    2006 K3500 D/A
    94 6.5 4x4 5spd Sold

Nah, haha. I'm just glad she knows the difference.