Thread: 2004 Duramax LLY Air in Fuel

Default 2004 Duramax LLY Air in Fuel

My '04 Silverado Duramax LLY just broke 100K miles. It has been a great truck, but recently started something that has be a bit confused. When I park it with the front higher than the back, even slightly, it gets air into the fuel system and I have to bleed it at the filter housing to start it. If I park it with the front end lower, it starts right up.

I read several threads here including this one:

http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/t...uel+filter+air

I also took it to a shop that specializes in Duramaxes and he told me the same thing. He said that I could replace the filter housing and all would be cured. But he suggested that I install a FASS auxiliary lift pump and NOT replace the housing. I am reluctant to go blow a bunch of coin without knowing for SURE what the problem is.

Am I on the right track here in terms of the problem and should I replace the housing or just install an auxiliary lift pump?

Thanks in advance for the help....
    2004 Chevy Silerado 2500HD LT
    LLY Duramax

I would highly recommend the addition of a lift pump although I prefer a quite different setup than waht was suggested to you. Simple, quiet, efficient Kennedy Twin pump setup. If your filter head is leaking it will then leak externally, but I doubt that it will.
    Kennedy Diesel-owner
    More than just a salesman-I use and test the products that I sell on a daily basis!
    Superflow Lie Detector in house
    2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT 11.77@ 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
    2005 Chev K3500SRW D/A CC Long LT(SOLD)
    2007 Chev K2500 Classic EC Short LT (Sold)
    2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Happy Birthday to me! Built 1 working day after my birthday and delivered 7 days later.
    2016 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC short LTZ

Custom tuning in house using EFI Live tuning software!

Thanks much - for now it seems to be working. I replaced the filter, WIF sensor, bleed screw and hose clamps. After that, it fired right up, but I just completed it tonight. I like the look of your lift pump, though, and it's priced right.
    2004 Chevy Silerado 2500HD LT
    LLY Duramax

Arrow

If the problem continues, try loosening the fuel filler cap, then run it loose for a few days to see whether a poorly vented cap might be contributing to the problem. A cap that holds too much vacuum (like after an overnight shutdown) could make a minor air leak in the fuel supply system much worse. An air leak still needs to be eliminated, but....

Jim

Default 04 6.6 duramax running very poorly and a lot smoke

I have a 2004 6.6 Duramax, LB7,which will barely pull itself. It will not reve over 1800 rpm and there is a lot of light blue almost grey smoke out of the exhaust. On a scope there are no codes and the duration of opening is almost exactly the same for all 8 cylinders. Could alot of air in the fuel cause this problem?
    Would love some opinions.

Thanks
    Denis

Default re:04 6.6 duramax running very poorly and alot of smoke

I meant to say no codes and the duration of opening of the injectors is almost exactly the same on all 8 cylinders. The truck has 270k and all 8 injectors were replaced at 200k and then 4 on the left bank were replaced at 243k due to fuel leaking into the crankcase.
    Thanks
    Denis

Arrow

Here's a link to a fairly recent forum thread that discusses how to test for an air leak using a modified cap.

http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/t...ad.php?t=43065

Aside from the modified cap, we've been recommending the same procedure since the 1990s. A tightly wrapped oily rag can be effective to seal the air hose well enough to allow testing.

Jim