Thread: GM 5500 series trucks customized for fifth wheel towing

I have seen the Ford F-550 diesels customized for fifth wheel towing, i.e., bed modified with fifth wheel hitch, air ride suspension, auxilliary fuel tank, captain seats, and the like. I have never seen an equivalent GMC product customized, or anyone even advertising to perform such a customization, in this fashion. Can these GMC trucks be setup in the same manner as the F-550's and who does it?

a5150nut Guest

Eagle,
    Checkout cowboycadilac.com

Call Laredo converversions and ask for Byron Mitchamore. We got a 4500 from him. This is a really nice truck. 817-477-2711.

Check out Westen Hauler in Ft Worth Texas.They have a web site.Search on Google for it.They are a first class place,and will do just about any mods you could want to the motor or interior.They also do some awsome paint jobs....Lineman

Found it. It is westernhauler.com....Lineman

Thumbs up

We had alos looked at Western Hauler before we bought from Laredo Conversions. I think we got more truck for the money at Laredo. Plus these people are great to work with, every problem and question was ansewered and handled imediatley. the web site is www.laredoconversions,com

This is what we did to our 4500........JB.
    2001 2500HD 6.6 4x4,Charcoal Gray w/Graphite interior.First diesel in 36 driving years!Truck was built on my birhtday in April.

Thanks for everyone's replies. Sounds like there are some good upfitters around.

Now, should the truck be a C4500 or a C5500 given we are pulling a 34 foot, 17,500 lbs fifth wheel? What is the GCWR for these trucks? What about the pin height from the ground if I choose a 4X4 in either a C4500 or C5500? Any ideas?

ksss Guest

The GVW for a 5500 4X4 crew cab is 19,500. The pin was 41" measured 3" past (foreard of) centerline of rear wheels. This was a kingpin type gooseneck ball

Here is my rig. 4x4......

I have a few other pics. Look at the link in the sig. I have about 4000 miles on it, 2000 towing.
    C4500 4x4<br /><a href=\"http://jan.ucc.nau.edu/~mr/4500\" target=\"_blank\">http://jan.ucc.nau.edu/~mr/4500</a>