Thread: Glow plug removal

Default Glow plug removal

HI
    I bought this truck a few months ago, no history of maintainance so i am going through everything major and replacing it. I am about to do the Glow plugs the driver side looks pretty straight foward however the other side looks more involved, besides removing the splash guard and maybe the wheel anything else need to be removed ?
    Thanks
    1993 Chevy K3500 CHEYENNE
    VIN CODE "F"
    "PUMPKIN" ORANGE
    6.5L TURBO CHARGED
    Automatic Transmission
    4X4
    2 DOOR REGULAR CAB
    8 FOOT BED
    3 INCH LIFT, 33 INCH RUBBER

Greetings inkmanmac: the real mechs will respond soon I am sure but I just wanted to tell you that I changed mine about a year ago and it was a piece of cake. If I can do it, anybody can! Get you a piece of poly tube that will fit over the spade end snug enough to hold it but not too tight. That will help you put those in the hard to reach places. Welcome to the site!
    CCC
    _______

1997 K1500 6.5 (S) 4X4
    1976 Pete 359
    1958 Dodge Powerwagon 4X4
    1986 Am Gen M925 5Ton 6x6

Arrow

The glow plugs usually come out simple, no fuss. However, there are occasions they don't. If you get them to move, then they stop, stop right there. Shoot in some PB Blaster and rock it to get the stuff in as much as possible. Repeat until they back out. If you break one off, it's a different process, but not too bad. Remove the wheel, unless you need a place to rest your chin.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Quote Originally Posted by ccc View Post
    Greetings inkmanmac: the real mechs will respond soon I am sure but I just wanted to tell you that I changed mine about a year ago and it was a piece of cake. If I can do it, anybody can! Get you a piece of poly tube that will fit over the spade end snug enough to hold it but not too tight. That will help you put those in the hard to reach places. Welcome to the site!
    Thanks for the welcome, and appreciate the advise.
    VIN CODE "F"
    "PUMPKIN" ORANGE
    6.5L TURBO CHARGED
    Automatic Transmission
    4X4
    2 DOOR REGULAR CAB
    8 FOOT BED

Quote Originally Posted by DmaxMaverick View Post
    The glow plugs usually come out simple, no fuss. However, there are occasions they don't. If you get them to move, then they stop, stop right there. Shoot in some PB Blaster and rock it to get the stuff in as much as possible. Repeat until they back out. If you break one off, it's a different process, but not too bad. Remove the wheel, unless you need a place to rest your chin.
    Yeah i bought a coup;e of cans of PB Blaster after i got the truck, great stuff. Thanks for the advise .
    VIN CODE "F"
    "PUMPKIN" ORANGE
    6.5L TURBO CHARGED
    Automatic Transmission
    4X4
    2 DOOR REGULAR CAB
    8 FOOT BED