Thread: 2003 Blowing black Smoke

Default 2003 Blowing black Smoke

To make a long story short, we were on our way to watch the fireworks last night when I started my 2003 2500HD and right away it started making an loud banging noise and blowing huge amounts of BLACK smoke from the exhaust. I quickly shut off the truck. We looked under the hood expecting to find oil and scattered aluminum only to find nothing. I called the dealer this morning and had it towed in at around 7:30 a.m. they called back a little while ago and said "Looks like the number 2 cylinder is coming apart. We need to r&r the valve cover and check it out. It will be around $650.00 to do that." Gentleman, I am not independtly wealthy, nor do I believe that my engine is "coming apart". I think it is a faulty injector stuck open. I am on my two week summer vacation and I use my truck everyday. I need my truck. I love my truck. I emplore you to help me find a solution or similar circumstance that you can share to help me through this troubled time. Thankyou for the use of your site. Sincerely Greg A. McPherson.

DBRT - Isn't this truck still under warranty? One reason I bought a new truck is that I assumed for five years I could go back to the dealer for problems like this and NOT have to pay (assuming its a warranty item which this sure sounds like). Start asking questions about warranty coverage and don't give up.
    2005 Regular cab, LLY Allison, new 7/05

Arrow

First, find out whether any DTC codes have been stored by the ECM.

If the noise is too bad sounding to risk running the engine to look for a faulty injector (using a Tech II), you'll have to pull it apart to look for whatever.

However, an injector that's blowing too much fuel might be detected by pulling the glow plugs, to look for one that is wetter than the others.

Your engine warranty is valid through 5 years or 100,000 miles, or whichever occurs first.

Jim