Thread: Ring gear for starter discontinued already

Red face

I tried to get a starter ring gear for the flywheel of a six speed truck and was told it was discontinued. Does anyone know who manufactures the ring gear for GM. I would really like to find a different way to get one rather than buying an entire flywheel.
    01 2500HD D/ZF<br />14.1 @100mph<br />CPMac632@aol.com

What about getting an Allison flexplate and "borrowing" the ring gear from it? Just a thought.

Or, you could find something from a different make that shares the same tooth count. I don't think the bore diameter in the ring gear is a concern for what I think you're doing...

[ 03-14-2003: Message edited by: SoMnDMAX ]</p>
    2003 Chevy 2500HD LT EC/SB D/A <br />Dark Gray, loaded..<br />Kennedy 4\" Exhaust, Headlight Harness, Access, Air Lift, Luverne, <br />Hot Juice, Mega Filter, more....<a href=\"http://community.webshots.com/user/somndmax\" target=\"_blank\">Pics</a><br /><a href=\"mailto:somndmax@yahoo.com\">somndmax@yahoo. com</a>

Good idea. The allison flexplate is $88 I believe so that is a possibility. I was wanting to buy them in a larger quantity but that may get me going. I was thinking someone would know the supplier for the oem units so I could try to order some from them.

[ 03-14-2003: Message edited by: CPMac632 ]</p>

Question

I am hoping this a sign that they will discontinued the rest Dual mass set up and come out with a conventional replacement. That is what your doing CPMac632?
    Luk makes the present gm dual mass setup but they also make a dual mass replacement for F@rds. I am sure you know this I just find it funny that they would make something they know doesnt work!
    02 GMC CC Longbed DMAX ZF SPEED<br />LT PEWTER MT, RHINOLINED BED AND ROCKERS<br />AUTOMETER GAGES IN PILLAR MOUNT<br />K&N AIR FILTER, MOBIL DELVAC 1

Yes I'm having a replacement made. I am afraid that the dual mass might not be discontinued for a while. The parts dept. told me I should just buy an new flywheel and the ring would come with it. I talked with luk because I knew they made the flywheel but they said they didn't make the ring gear and didn't offer who did.

Does anyone one here know what the tooth count is on the D-max starter ring? I can see the teeth on the flywheel through the vents in my ZF bellhousing, and they look bigger than the .25" pitch of a 168 tooth, but I can't get anything in there to measure. Do the ZF manual and Allison flexplate use the same pitch?

Thanks!

All Duramax use the same pitch and it is considerably different than the old 168 tooth.

Kennedy Guest

I tried to find a ring gear for my forklift and was disappointed too when I learned they were no longer avail. Then again it has a Hercules flathead 4 and hasn't been built for over half a century whereas the Dmax/ZF is still in production...

Dunno what the long term drivetrain durability, and comfort implications are with going solid, but the dual mass is definitely keeping me from buying one...

While going over parts list with the local dealer I was told that the new replacement flywheel for my truck has a different part # than what the 01-03s came with. Anyone elso heard this?
    2003 GMC 2500HD 4x4 6.6 Diesel <br />443+HP/944LB-FT unstacked #2 only