Thread: 2002 duramax repeated injector problems

Unhappy 2002 duramax repeated injector problems

I have a 2002 duramax diesel with problems. At 40,000 miles it lost power and GM found a bad injector so they replaced all eight with the new style that was supposed to be the fix. They told me they would extend my warranty on my engine to 7 years and 200,000 miles which sounded good to me. Today at 80,000 miles I was pulling a 32' trailer and after topping off with fuel 30 miles down the road I noticed my truck cutting out and the oil pressure was running half normal so I stopped by the local dealer and told them what was going on and they said I had probably got ahold of some bad fuel so they charged me $142 for a fuel system check that checked out good and a fuel filter. When I got in the truck and started up it was running the same way. They told me to run it cause I probably had some trash in the lines that needed to be ran out. I was in a hurry so I left and unloaded my pipe and dropped off the trailer. When I got home and checked the oil again I noticed it looked cleaner then earlier and the level was high. I decided to drain it and thats when I realized what was going on. I bet I drained over 5 gallons of oil and diesel mixed out of my crankcase. after adding 10 quarts of oil and starting up my oil pressure was normal. I will be taking it in first thing in the morning. I am wondering though after running 100 miles with deisel in my oil if it damages other components like the turbo or the bearing etc??????????? I will be making them take the $90 for the fuel system check off my $100 deductable or whatever they call it. Has anyone else had these problems with the replacement injectors? I did notice after they replaced the injectors the first time my fuel economy dropped off a couple of miles per gallon. Thanks:

Sorry to hear of your problems. Nice catch on the oil level - sounds like you are a 'gauge watcher' and that helps alot.

You are on track to getting a good resolution to your problems. I agree that they should apply your monies spent towards your deductible.

Most injector problems are directly related to fuel quality. Where are you sourcing fuel? Any plans to add additional filtration? www.kennedydiesel.com sells a good solution. Also are you running any additives on a regular basis?
    2011 Chevrolet Tahoe 5.3L daily driver
    • Previous owner of two 1994 6.5L K3500s, '01, '02, and '05 6.6L K2500s, '04 C4500, '06 K3500 dually, '06 K3500 SRW, '09 K3500HD SRW, '05 Denali
    • Total GM diesel miles to date : ~950K

Angry 2002 duramax injector problems

I've been buying fuel at the local fina station. I have added power service to my fuel in the past and just recently change to lucus. The service manager told me today that the 7 year 200,000 mile warranty was added only for the fuel system and that the customer relations guy that told me the warranty was for the entire engine was no longer employed and gave me the wrong info. So now my warranty will expire in August and I am wondering if running 100 miles loaded with about 50/50 diesel oil mixture in my crankcase has damaged something that may show up six months down the road when my warranty is out. I grabbed a oil sample from the crankcase when I drained out the mixture and plan to send it in to see if anything shows up in it. I have it at the dealership now getting repaired. I did tell the service manager I caught an oil sample made him put on the work order diesel in the oil, loss of oil PSI and low fuel economy. Does anyone know if a high concentration of diesel in the oil will harm the Turbo, bearings or rings. Thanks

Talking

The funny thing about the fuel in the oil is this......... I have changed injectors in DMAX's that had over 7 GALLONS of oil in the crankcase!!! And these vehicles are commercial vehicles that are driven HARD! I change the oil and filter and send the truck on its merry little way. I haven't seen any issues yet. I work at a Light/ Medium Duty GMC dealership and most of the trucks sold (2500, 3500, 4500, 5500 C/K trucks) have the DMAX engine in them. I guess what I am getting at is that ISUZU must have put one heck of a set of bearings in that engine because I have only replaced three DMAX engines since they came out in 2001 and none of them were for bearing failure!!!

NutNbutGMC Guest

Quote Originally Posted by cmwilga
    I've been buying fuel at the local fina station. I have added power service to my fuel in the past and just recently change to lucus. The service manager told me today that the 7 year 200,000 mile warranty was added only for the fuel system and that the customer relations guy that told me the warranty was for the entire engine was no longer employed and gave me the wrong info. So now my warranty will expire in August and I am wondering if running 100 miles loaded with about 50/50 diesel oil mixture in my crankcase has damaged something that may show up six months down the road when my warranty is out. I grabbed a oil sample from the crankcase when I drained out the mixture and plan to send it in to see if anything shows up in it. I have it at the dealership now getting repaired. I did tell the service manager I caught an oil sample made him put on the work order diesel in the oil, loss of oil PSI and low fuel economy. Does anyone know if a high concentration of diesel in the oil will harm the Turbo, bearings or rings. Thanks
    Thread officially jacked....

Fuel injectors...not injections... LOL....

Where did Skinny Blinky go?

I had three sets of warrantied injectors in a 2K2. Nothng but a nightmare. I can tell you all that you can read here. Short of the long is to find a stealer-ship that will do you right with the full replacement version of GM's directives (TSBs). Once that is committed, getting the injectors is the next problem (info that I found out first hand and keep hearing it). Then make sure the mechanic has some experience directly related to this repair. A good mechanic can do it in a day (good as in experience with this issue). A new guy can take up to 20 - 30 hours. I talked to a guy just last week that had the new guy do his.

Default caroded up ball seets

I heard from the service manager at the dealership and he said all of my injectors were rusted and caroded up as if I had been running bad diesel in the truck. GM did not want to cover it under the warranty. He said after spending two hours over the phone with them they agreed to cover the replacement cost of $4200.I have been getting my fuel at the local Fina station and also have been getting clear diesel delivered to a 500 gal metal tank at my house and filtering it to my truck. Have you guys ever heard of rusted and caroded injectors and what would cause it. I have never seen the water in fuel message come on but now I am scared to use the tank I have set up at my house. The service manager also told me to quit using baldwin fuel filters and use GM only.

Quote Originally Posted by cmwilga
    I heard from the service manager at the dealership and he said all of my injectors were rusted and caroded up as if I had been running bad diesel in the truck. GM did not want to cover it under the warranty. He said after spending two hours over the phone with them they agreed to cover the replacement cost of $4200.I have been getting my fuel at the local Fina station and also have been getting clear diesel delivered to a 500 gal metal tank at my house and filtering it to my truck. Have you guys ever heard of rusted and caroded injectors and what would cause it. I have never seen the water in fuel message come on but now I am scared to use the tank I have set up at my house. The service manager also told me to quit using baldwin fuel filters and use GM only.

sounds like the MGR wants to get double paid for the same job.... your $4K and Gm paying for 8 new injectors with labor. I would not let them do any work without seeing a fuel sample and a gas station rep present with a whole bunch of fuel samples tested fron the same station not knowing your building a case against them.... I hate to say it but your in for a fight , when a dealer claims bad fuel GM will not do much to help the little guys like you and me ! I had a bad tankfull of wet fuel on my 2001 , my local Hess station where I had just filled up the night before said....No couldnt be we have the best fuel in town or any where for that mater ! That was the last time I spent $.01 with those a holes...... well them and Mobil , 10 billion dollars in profit... None of my hard erned money.
    93 c-2500 6.5td,96 6.5td x cab,01 GMC lb7 Xcab ,2004 lly crew cab ,2006 lbz crew cab,honda CBR1100xx,2003 polaris prox 700 , 2001 31' holiday rambler 10K lbs house on wheels!