Thread: Fuel Additive for 2013 6.6

Default Fuel Additive for 2013 6.6

I have just purchased a 2013. This is my third Duramax, in all the previous two I used Power Serve fuel additive. I asked about this new truck and was told by the dealer and a mechanic friend that it is no longer necessary. However the need for the additive has been to lubricate the fuel. Is it true not to use an additive in the new duramax diesel engine???

Arrow

Welcome aboard!

"It is no longer necessary" is a far cry from any indication that it shouldn't be used, or using an additive may cause any degree of damage.

The question of modern fuel lubricity has yet to be answered to my satisfaction, lacking any credible argument supporting a positive quality, or improved engine fuel system components, which may negate the need for a lubricating fuel formula. What is known, is modern fuel formulations have far fewer lubricating qualities, compared to fuel of just a few years ago.

Without getting into your choice of the additive brand (entirely separate discussion), I suggest you use any of them according to their product labeling. If it states it is compatible with modern Diesel engines, specifically equipped with DPF and DEF systems, then using it isn't inadvisable, nor will it cause damage. If damage were possible when used as directed, GM and other vehicle manufacturers would certainly make a case of warning their customers, as well as the additive mfg's doing the same, assuming certain liabilities considering the repair costs associated with modern Diesel engines.

In other words, if the label states it is compatible with your equipment, use it at your discretion according to the label instructions.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Additive in my opinion is a must. That and additional filtration. It's not a matter of if, but when you get a bad batch of fuel. I often draw an analogy to visiting a "house of ill repute" in every town in which you fuel and partaking in bareback activities. Sooner or later...

Not a fan of Power Service, but I guess a lot of people run it with good success. They don't have much of a reputation with the fuel shops due to use of harmful alcohols in the 90's etc.

P.S. What little gasoline I use is always non ethanol and regularly treated to stabilize.
    Kennedy Diesel-owner
    More than just a salesman-I use and test the products that I sell on a daily basis!
    Superflow Lie Detector in house
    2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT 11.77@ 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
    2005 Chev K3500SRW D/A CC Long LT(SOLD)
    2007 Chev K2500 Classic EC Short LT (Sold)
    2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Happy Birthday to me! Built 1 working day after my birthday and delivered 7 days later.
    2016 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC short LTZ

Custom tuning in house using EFI Live tuning software!