Thread: Optima Batteries

Hello all, I'm seriously considering replacing the AC Delco batteries in my truck for a couple of the Optima batteries. I bought this truck new 4 months ago, but it's a 2001, sat on the lot for a year until I bought it. It's my first diesel, and I will be plowing this year. I'm anxious to see what this truck will do in the snow! My question is, should I get the red top, which is the basic battery, or the yellow top, which is the deep cycle? I'm leaning toward the yellow top, with the plow and the caution light going at the same time (and hopefully getting stobes this winter), may put a strain on the red top. I don't know much about batteries, so what do you guys think? The green eyes on the Delco's are still showing, but because of sitting so long on the lot, would you trust them for plowing?

Tim975

2001 Chevy 2500HD LS Reg Cab LB D/A
    7 1/2 Western Pro Plow
    Tim Hager<br />2001 Chevy 2500HD 4x4 LS D/A Reg Cab LB<br />7 1/2 Western Pro Plow<br />Fumoto Valve<br />K&N Air Filter

Smart move getting rid of the AC Delcos. I had one leak out on me a couple of weeks ago. Only a year and a half old. Had two others go in th last few years early.

tim975

Here is the link to the Optima web site: http://www.optimabatteries.com/ Check out their comments and FAQ section. I would go with the Yellow Deep Cycle battery as I feel it would fit your application.

With that said you need to remember that when plowing or any other activity your alternator "should" be providing all of the necessary electrical power to operate the vehicle. The only time, other than starting the engine, that the battery
    2001 Chevy 2500HD, LT, ExtCab, 4X4, DMax/Allison, Lt Pewter Metallic/Lt Grey Int. 90 gal aux tank (auxtank.com), Ranch Hand Frontend replacement and Cowboy rear bumper.<br />Jorden Brake Controller<br />2001 32RK Alpenlite

Tim975

I would also suggest checking with your local distributors technical expert on the Optima battery. Here in VA it is Inerstate Battery and they were very knowledgeable, asked me several questions about the useage for the batteries. Then made a suggestion, for race care application, one red top ( battery attached to charging system) and one yellow top ( batttery charged periodically). I felt good talking to a real person, they also provided me with knowledge on how Optimas need to be cared for, very important.
    2003 GMC 3500 C/C D/A 2WD,<br /> Fire Red W/ Dark Pewter<br />o Michelin XPS Ribs/Traction<br />o 3M Invinca-Shield<br />o AMSOIL 2-Stage Air Filter<br />o Putco 4\" Boss Bars<br />o Kennedy Headlight Booster Kit<br />o Denali Headlight Capsules<br />o GMC 03\'Accessory Mud Flaps<p><br />28\' tag enclosed trailer:<br /> o triple axle;<br /> o 21000 GVW<p> <a href=\"http://www.picturetrail.com/stage1\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.picturetrail.com/stage1</a>

I put Optima Red top in mine when it arrived and sold off the Delco. The yellow top deep cycle is a great battery, but it is a deep cycle. Deep cycle batteries do not have anywhere near the life normal operating batteries do. I do not know if it is because of the deep cycle or because almost all of them sit unused a lot. I have used deep cycle before, but only got 2 years out of them. They were great for extended winching, but I have found the Optima Red is as hard to drain down under use as a deep cycle. Optima reds last me about 4 years. I am very hard on batteries as I winch a lot, and I run long runs at night on isolated Oregon and Nevada roads with large draw extra lights. My Optima reds have held up very well. Also use them in my enclosed car trailer, my dump trailer, my John Deere tractor, and my 57 Chev street rod.

3176CATPOWER Guest

The AC-Delco batteries have lasted 4 to 5 years in my trucks.I surely would not replace them quite yet.Deep cycle batteries are made for applications where they are drawn down to almost no charge and then recharged,the slower the better,thus deep cycle.I do not think I would put them in a car or truck where they would be under a constant charge.The Optima batteries are a very good battery.

I have one of Optima Yellow Top battery on my 89 Toyota pickup. I run alot of lights and do snowplowing. They seems to be keeping up very well with me. Yellow Top is a deep cycle battery which could be completely discharged and recharged many, many times without goind dead.
    2002 Chevy Silverado 2500HD<br />Ext. Cab SB 4x4 LS<br />6.0L/HD Auto.

Hello everyone!

I'm plowing with a Western 7 1/2 Pro Plow, which uses an electric motor to operate a hydraulic pump. I do a lot of commercial plowing and some residential. I used the same plow on a 1997 GMC 1/2 ton truck with a single battery. When I operated the plow, the voltmeter usually went from 14 volts to 8-9 volts to lift or shift it from side to side. The voltmeter would gradually climb back up to 14 volts; it took a while, but I never had a problem draining completely. I guess I'll try the Delco's for now, and, providing we get snow this year, I'll probably pick up a couple red tops (will go good with the red truck!) Thank you guys for all the help!

Tim975

2001 Chevy 2500HD LS Reg Cab LB D/A
    7 1/2 Western Pro Plow
    Tim Hager<br />2001 Chevy 2500HD 4x4 LS D/A Reg Cab LB<br />7 1/2 Western Pro Plow<br />Fumoto Valve<br />K&N Air Filter

Tim, I personally would never plow when the battery is at 8-9v. I would stop plow and idle or drive around a bit until it get back to 14v then plow again. Myself, I would never run anything lower than 12v, maybe 11v but that is as far as I am risking to go. For snowplowing, I recommend you to go with yellow top. It can be cycled over again and again without going bad. If you don't have auxiliary battery, then it would be a good idea to get one if your budget allow it.
    2002 Chevy Silverado 2500HD<br />Ext. Cab SB 4x4 LS<br />6.0L/HD Auto.

Tim, you might consider installing dual alternators which will put out 2 x 105 amps max or one high capacity alternator for your application. This may help prevent the voltage drop you are referring to when adjusting your plow.

Bud
    2003 Silv. 2500HD CC SB D/A

I've done quite a bit of reading on batteries lately for a boat I'm building. I have 4 deep cycle golf cart batteries for "house" batteries, which run a lot of stuff when the engines are shut down. You should avoid running deep cycle batteries below 50% capacity, as this will shorten their life. Good quality deep cycle batteries can last for years if the are maintained properly and not discharged excessively. These batteries are great for running accessories or an inverter for that matter. They are not so great for starting an engine. Their design (yellow top) is such that the lead plates are thick and therefor cannot release electricity as quickly as a starting battery (red top) which has thinner lead plates and can dump a high flow of electricity much more quickly. Starting batteries don't like to be discharged, as this will shorten their life. It's fairly simple to add up the maximum power (amps.) you comsume, and size your alternator accordingly. If your alternator is too small you could of course add another one, but you should also consider rewinding your stock one or buying a higher capacity one if cost is an issue.
    BBugg<br />2002 GMC 2500HD D/A 4x4 ext.Cab SWB;<br />Garmin Streetpilot GPS; PIAA 80 Racing Lights; A.R.E. MX Truck Cap w/Walk-In Door; Kargo Master Cap mounted Rack; Luverne Stainless Nerf Bars; Warn Rio Grande Stainless Winch Mount; MileMarker 10,500 lb. Hydraulic Winch; TFI 45 gal.Tank w/Fast Flo Nozzle; XM Satellite Digital Tuner; Duramaximiser; Truck Vault bed storage system; Cobra 75-WX-ST CB Radio<p> <a href=\"http://www.PictureTrail.com/bbugg\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.PictureTrail.com/bbugg</a>

Red top is made to be constantly charged, like in an auto. Yellow top is a deep discharge, made to charge, discharge then charge again. So in a truck you would go w/ the red top.

I use these batteries in my race car (two red), my motor home (three yellow); my trailer (two yellow). Excellent batteries.

You need to check the CCA and reserve power and compare to your truck battery. I did not put the optima in my big truck w/ Cat engine, as the amp-hrs was not big enough on the optima. So you need to check this on your truck as well.

The biggest difference between the optima and wet cell is this. You can abuse the heck out of the optima, run it to zero, and it comes right back. They will, to some degree, self charge. If you run one way down, let it sit for a day or so, and it has enough juice in it to jump a car. I have old take outs lying around my shop and use them for jumping all the time. And believe me, in the race care they get abused a lot! If you take a normal wet cell and run it way down even a couple times it won't recharge all the way. The red or yellow Optima will come right back...

They will last a good 5 years in normal vehicle service w/o any problems. I have one that is going on 6 years! Neve had one fail less than 5 years!
    Speedy: When all is said and done, there was a lot more said than done!