Thread: K&N filter performance gains

Question

I just installed a K&N filter. The old One was dirty. 25 for a AC Delco, 55 for the K&N. I could notice no seat of the paints differenc. "Does anyone have any info on power increases with just a filter change.
    1996 k2500 suburban vin f all stock 246000 miles. I pull a 7400lb 26 ft cabin cruiser.

You will not notice any power gains with a air filter unless on a dyno. The bad thing is the K&N is not good at filtering it does flow air well.
    1998 6.5 2500 4X4 dynatrac pro 60, ARB, 35"BFG's
    06 D Max Express 5"MBRP EFI live

Probably just a filter change won't help much in the HP dept. K&N's get a bad rap, but in my experience they filter as well as anything out there. I have used them for over 20 years on a wide variety of vehicles and run back to back oil analysis and silicon is exactly the same with a K&N. Is this a round filter or a plate? There are definite sealing problems with the plate filters. If its round you are good to go. If its a plate, I would probably glue it to the clean side of the airbox with 3M weatherstrip cement or something of the sort.
    Bobbie Martin
    1995 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 6.5 TD 2WD- DB2 mechanical fuel injection
    GEP Optimizer 6.53 Detroit Diesel Power
    6.53L, GEP Block & Heads, .020 over, ARP studs, DB2 Inj. pump, GM8 Turbo w/TurboMaster
    K47 Airbox with K&N filter, 3" mandrel bent exhaust, 2ΒΌ" Crossover, Mann ProVent
    HO Water Pump, Hayden "Truck Fan" Clutch, 21" 9 blade Duramax Fan

No PMD, APP, CDR, optical sensor or vacuum pump!
    Author of The DB2 Conversion Guide
    Click Here to Email Me

It is a plate. They sent some glue and a peel and stick gasket. I will take it apart and reseal it thanks. Also, is there an upgrade that allows you to hear the turbo whine. I think it would be cool to hear the turbo. thanks Jay
    1996 k2500 suburban vin f all stock 246000 miles. I pull a 7400lb 26 ft cabin cruiser.

Dvldog 8793 Guest

Thumbs up

Howdy
    With the KN you should hear the turbo more. Also if your truck has the resonator tube you can remove it and plug the hole. The tube is the big black plastic tube that goes from the air snorkle to nowhere. I machined a piece of Aluminum to plug the hole but you can use a 1 1/4 pipe plug I think. Also opening up your exhaust will make the whine more present among other wonderfull noises
    L8r
    Conley Janssen