Thread: Classified ad scam

Arrow

Scammers have been actively working the internet for some time now, trying to take advantage of uninformed truck/auto/boat/RV classified ad advertisers.

Here is an email that was sent to me recently that illustrates what method the scammers are using.

----------------------------------------
    > hello
    > my name joseph am international dealer based in west africa,i am
    interested in buying your 1982 C20 which the price [$2,000] .so let me know
    the present condition,in order to contact my client owing me in US to
    prepare a certified cashier cheque drawn from US bank .if this is okay by
    you ,kindly send the name and adress with which you will receive the check.
    > waiting for your immediate response
    > Best regards
    > joseph.......

-----------------------------------

If you receive an email response like the one above to your placing a classified ad, you should know that in all likelyhood it is a scam.

The certified bank checks are counterfeit, but are good enough that it takes a week or two for your bank to discover that. Once they do, the banks take back their money from you. In the end, you lose both your vehicle and the purchase price.

MP

[ 09-07-2003, 01:14 PM: Message edited by: More Power ]

Ouch!! Good info ... Jim
    \'02 3500 CC HD 4X4 LT D/A, Charcoal Gray Metallic,Juice 4.61, Loaded from end to end and most places in between

Arrow

I've had an ad in the classified ad page for some time now. I recently received a series of emails expressing interest in the parts. It was a scam. Here's the text from the last of four emails I received from them.
    ---------------------------------------
    Hello,

Thanks for the mail.I will like to inform you that the last offer is ok by me.So my secretary will be issuing you a check worth of $1,550 for the payment and shipping charges of the Complete set of engine driven accessories for a 1989 Chevy5.7L gas engine after you might have sent me this following information below.

Your name in full....
    Your contact home address to send the check to not P.O.BOX.....
    Your contact home,office and cell phone number.

As soon as this is recieved i will immidietly forward it to her inorder for her to issue you the check. I promise that as soon as the check is sent to you i will update you ok.And i will like you to promise me that as soon as you recieve the check you will deduct your own $450 for the payment of theComplete set of engine driven accessories for a 1989 Chevy5.7L gas engine and send the remaining funds to my shipping agency in uk via western union money transfer who will come for the pick-up of theComplete set of engine driven accessories for a 1989 Chevy5.7L gas engine in your location for shipment to mines ocation.So you do not need worrying your self about the shipment of the Complete set of engine driven accessories for a 1989 Chevy5.7L gas engine ok.I hope to hear from you soon !

I waits your favourable response ok?

Regards,

Mrs kate ............

---------------------------------------------

In response to the above message, I sent them an email saying that I would only accept a check for the exact amount, and would ship the parts two weeks after the check arrives.... I never heard from them again.... BTW - the asking price was $450 + shipping.

Beware...

MP

Unhappy

We played along with one of these scammers, similar poor English, no desire to see pictures or ask questions about truck. The address we were to send the check to is a Legal Bar Office in Florida. The person to send the check to is not a member of the Florida Bar. The Bank of America cashiers check arrived, and looked good. Unfortunately a good counterfeit. We have reported it to the local police and FBI, what everyone needs to do to stop this nonsense.

Thumbs down

I have a ford tractor listed on a website and have recieved two different hits like this. Told them cash only, no response.
    2004 3500 HD Dually, Westin step bars, Reese 20k 5th hitch,, banks monster exhaust, flames by Lainhart, van aiken box

Wow! A recent ad on the classified ads stirred up three different responses from scammers. Beware of the following email addy's:

denniskonsult@yahoo.fr
    davidjames2000@outgun.com
    jtaylor2000@outgun.com

Sure glad I researched this!! They also wanted to send extra money for the shipper for me to pay. Have contacted all three to let them know we are aware of their scam. Guess I'll go and just trade this truck off.
    1996 2500 6.5 TD 192k

Here is another one I got today.

Hello,
    It's has been my honourably pleasure to write you.i am highly intrested in your advertised 1996 Chev Silverado C2500 LWB Ext Cab 6.5LTD so i will like you to get back to me with some pic of it and the final price including the present condition so that payment can be remited to you as soon as possible .Thanks my timely response will be appreciate as soon as possible.
    Pedro.

From Email address: eurosuperstore_inc@yahoo.com
    1996 2500 6.5 TD 192k

Tell them checks from any bank or country can be accepted, and only after they are converted to "cash" I will gladly release title and possession of the vehicle.

You won't get a response.
    05, 3500HD Dually 4x4, LT, Ext Cab, Edge Juice/Attitude, 54 Gal aftermarket fuel tank, gooseneck hitch, XM, <br /><br />02 2500 Avalanche 4x4, 8.1 Gasser, 6\" lift used as a tow vehical and work truck.<br /><br />01 VW Beetle TDI<br /><br />98 Dodge 2500 Quad Cab, 24V ISB, 4x4, Auto, Bone stock.

I just got the same email as mmaserang, and one from a Michael Hunter from LA., promising to send $3500.00 extra to transport truck. It would only cost about $1000.00 to get it there.Same broken English.

morgan Guest

My friends and I have fun with these scam artists. We lead them on for days and weeks, then they finally get mad and "go away". We've even talked on the phone to them. Background noise sounds like a factory somewhere.

My buddy selling a BMW told the "buyer" that his favorite bootleg KISS live concert tape was stuck in the deck, and it would take a few days for the local shop to get it out without damaging it first.

I told one guy that my volvo 240 station wagon was being professionally cleaned up, and that I was a volunteer for transporting sick monkeys from one zoo to another, but that you can kinda get used to the smell. That got a funny reaction.

Have fun with them. It's cheap and creative entertainment. Give cell phone number only of course.

Beware of this guy as well:

loius rooney louisrooney@yahoo.com

He thought he was going to get away with it until we turned the tables on him.

Rick