Thread: too high oil pressure ?

Default too high oil pressure ?

lately i noticed that my oil pressure has crept up on start up. It used to run up to 65 on start up with 15-40w. I switched to 5-40 synthetic and also replaced my oil cooler and lines. After doing that I noticed that the pressure on start up went up to near 80. Since I did this in late fall, I assumed it was due to cold weather. Now that it's warmer it hasn't changed. I cleaned all my grounds, replaced my ops with an ac delco one. After the engine warms up the pressure goes down to normal running about 50 -55 at high idle and down to 15-20 at idle. Is this something to check into or consider it normal?

The pressure can vary a little from engine to engine but if its in stock trim with all the factory parts, it should run about 50 Cold when above an idle and 40 down the road.

When hot at idle, normal is about 20 PSI..

I would do two things, (1) replace the sending unit and (2) add a "T" fitting and install a direct reading gauge under the dash or in a pod where handy.

The oil pressure senders can and do get flakey on these things.

I have a brand new sender on DaHooooley and at around 50 PSI or so it will get jumpy.

I used the High volume pump from the late "squirt block" in a non squirt engine when I did the rebuild.

This will supply way more oil than the system normally has and results in much higher pressure.

As long as your pressure comes down once the engine is warmed up, you should be fine.

Try replacing the sender and see if this fixes the anomaly.
    You could even T the turbo feed as its easier to get to.

Robyn
    (1) 1995 Suburban 2500 4x4
    (1) 1997 Astro
    (1) 2005 Suburban (Papa Smurf)
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY

Since you did completely change the oil you were using, it probably caused the pressure change. However, it never hurts to hook up a mechanical gauge to check. The pressure when warm sounds fine though. Also high oil pressure is a good thing, unless it starts leaking past the rear main seal or some other seal.
    '83 Blazer, DB2 built like 4911 by Accurate Diesel, 6.5 oil pump, 6.5 turbo injectors, 82 6.2 block, 6.5 heads, serpentine, gm-4 turbo with turbo master, timing gears, custom stud girdle, lower compression
    Pics: http://s153.photobucket.com/albums/s205/kkarlson_photo/