Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bio-Diesel

Has anyone used bio-diesel in the LLY engine yet. Just wondering, it may been avaliable around my area soon.Thanks.
    2004.5 LLY CREW CAB 4X4 SLT<br />BLACK IN COLOR<br />PRODIGY BRAKE CONTROLLER<br />XM RADIO OPTION<br />FULLY LOADED BUT NO DVD OR ROOF LIGHTS<br />6\" FLAT OVAL WESTIN NERF BARS(BLK)<br />24\' ENCLOSED HARLEY HAULER<br />2003 HERITAGE SOFTAIL CLASSIC<br />265/75R/16 BFG\'S ALL TERRAINS

lvrver44 Guest

Just found a great site. You guys have probably already heard about it but it's new to me.

http://www.journeytoforever.org/biodiesel.html

Kinda makes ya want to run only this stuff. Not sure if it would end up being any cheaper but I like the idea.

Thumbs up

No its not cheaper, last I heard it was 10-15 cents more. They installed a pumped about 30 miles south of me and I hear it sells. I know a farmer that uses it his duramax and tractor trailer, he buy's it in bulk.

Exclamation

Before you use BIO-Diesel, need to be sure and read the owner's manual. You can use the bio-diesel, but only 5% max.
    Noal

Of course GM is going to say that.
    \'01 Silverado 2500HD D/A,SC/LB K&N FIPK,AMSoil lubricants

Smile

It matters not to me, I just suggested you read manual. I will say this, I manufacture Bio-Diesel, and the properties of it are not the same as the current diesel yu buy made from crude. Depending on the % mix it will cause your diesel to run hotter temps. You can NOT burn 100% with out a doubt.

Just something to think about. I understand that GM will say anything, but the truck was designed as is for many reasons. I just feel that before making a l;ot of changes you do lots of research. $6,000 is a lot to pay for a new engine.
    Noal

Just a bit of trivia.

Did you know when Mr Diesel invented his motor it was intended to run on corn oil. His motive was to come up with a motor that could run on corn oil was that it was verry cheap. but the oil companys soon reajusted every thing.

MIKE
    2001 3500 CREW WHITE EAGLE ALLOYS, WAAG TUBE STEP

Noal, I wasn't aiming the rolling eyes at you, but GM. If the engine can't run B100 the way it is then GM needs to make it able to.
    lrver44 posted a good link-look up the foolproof biodiesel method. When I have the opportunity I plan to brew some of this stuff and have it tested. I seem to recall someone on this site doing fuel and oil testing as a profession, but I am unable to recall their name. I'm just fed up with helping to make the oil barons any richer than they already are, especially considering the pounding my rear end takes every time I fill up.
    Rudolf Diesel did not intend for his engine to become the garbage disposal of the petroleum industry, but like the last post said to run off of plant based oils. He understood the grave threat that petroleum posed to the world a century ago. The next time you wonder why cancer rates are so high, look at the little yellow "The State of California..." sticker on the pump. It doesn't say "may cause cancer" it says "DOES cause cancer"!!!! I would definitely classify sitting in bumper to bumper traffic for an hour or two as prolonged exposure, and I would deinitely pay more for biodiesel if it could help the American farmer and economy instead of the oil barons and their cronies in the middle east.

[ 04-08-2005, 10:57 PM: Message edited by: Nix ]

Hey!!!!, Let me know where to get that engine for $6000. Mine cost me over $11,000 installed
    Bill<br />hd90rider@aol.com<br />02 Chevy 3500 Crewcab Dually<br />Amsoil bypass<br />K&N Filter<br />115 Gal for cruisin !!<br />RV & Boat Transporter<br />Need one pulled somewhere???<br /><br />03 Anniv. H/D Ultra<br />2000 Ultra for sale

trbankii Guest

Originally posted by Nix:
    I would deinitely pay more for biodiesel if it could help the American farmer and economy instead of the oil barons and their cronies in the middle east.
    I agree with that completely! It seems nearly criminal to be sending all our money over to the Middle East not only to pay for oil but also in the military costs we are paying in the fight for the oil. The costs of bio-diesel would definitely come down if the volume produced was increased substantially. Further, think about all the grain that our government buys and ships over to the Middle East. Heck, subsidize the production of bio-diesel instead!

I'd much rather see our own farmers driving around in Rolls Royces and living like

I have a customer with a 2005 LLY, and he has been running the bio and has had no problems to date. He regularly pulls 13000lbs and gets 13MPG. FYI

bobo Guest

My brother has a new half ton suburban gasser (5.3 V-8). It can run the high ethanol blended fuel (I think it's 75% ethanol gas mix for $.30/gal cheaper). He says he got a $2000 tax break for buying a vehicle that can run on alternate fuel. I will have him check to see of the Duramax was on the list of alternate fuel burning engines. Have any of you heard of this tax credit? He said he did his taxes with Turbo Tax.

http://www.biodiesel.org/

Check it out I learned a lot

The E85 is what is being sold her in ND that is 85% ethonal and 15% gas. The reason it is cheaper is that ethonal is subsidized. Or states have take the road tax off. That is what they are thinking of doing here for a few years.
    04 3/4 ton SLT LLY<br />Summit White CC<br />02 700 MXZ X<br />Ordered 05 600 SDI MXZ X Renegade<br />02 400 Polaris Sportsman<br />Comeing soon 05 Super Glide

Smile

BioDiesel is an interesting alternative to oilDiesel, however, we don't currently have the capacity to make enough of it to significantly impact our, or the world's marketplace.

Do a search for:
    National BioDiesel Board, 2005 Annual Meeting, and look at John B. Campbell's report

This is a very complete picture on BioDiesl in the U.S. today. Sorry I don't have a link to the URL anymore.
    2003 GMC 2500HD crew D-MAX

Industrial hemp. The southern states could produce 2 crops a year. It grows from the Arctic Circle to the Antarctic(read:just about everywhere). Since it is a weed it requires minimal pesticides and irrigation and will tolerate soil conditions other plants can not. Google Hemp For Victory so you can see for yourself:industrial hemp used to be a major part of American industry. The vast open acres of this nation could be put to good use growing soil-restoring and air-cleaning industrial hemp. Industrial hemp fiber could single-handedly replace the paper(wood pulp paper is BAD for the environment and inefficient to boot, 1 acre of hemp produces 4 times the amount of paper as an acre of trees with less pollution,and hemp paper can be recycled 3x more than wood paper) and cotton industries(USA cotton production accounts for over 30% of the world's consumption of herbicides and pesticides, besides the fact that cotton is bad for the soil;hemp fiber is 2x as strong as cotton and naturally UV and mold/mildew resistant). Not only that but make it possible for the family farm to exist without government intervention, AND make cheap environmentally friendly energy. What a concept.
    http://moneycentral.msn.com/content/...ar/P115218.asp

For those that care about being healthy: Hemp seed happens to be one of the most nutritional foods you can eat. Here are some links to check out if you like to be healthy. I was surprised to say the least.
    http://www.jeffotto.com/health/hemp_ref.htm
    http://www.ratical.org/renewables/hempseed2.html
    http://www.sdearthtimes.com/et0796/et0796s7.html
    http://www.jackherer.com/chapter08.html
    http://www.jackherer.com/popmech.html
    And for the record,I am not a liberal tree hugging vegan wacko peace mongering hippy whatever you want to call me. I love hunting, fishing, camping, dry aged ribeye steaks, beer, brats, the Cubs, guns, the fighting arts(participating not just watching), and tire shredding screaming mad turbo-diesel trucks. I also enjoy exercising and being healthy, which petroleum does nothing to help reach that end(ever try running next to a busy street?). But I am more interested in seeing an America where people can be self sufficient and healthy instead of being slaves to big oil,multi-national corporations,and the pharmaceutical industry. Don't take my word for it though. Find out for yourself and please correct me if I'm wrong.

[ 04-24-2005, 12:37 AM: Message edited by: Nix ]

From some reading I've done on biodiesel, apparently it has some solvent properties. So, if you run it, keep an eye on your fuel filter. It will clog. But, once the residue is cleaned out of the tank lines, and motor, all will be well. Also, the solvent nature of biodiesel can also eat away at rubber hoses, etc. Some manufacturers also said that it can cause damage to internal components. But, I'm sure the bigwigs from every engine manufacturer play golf with the bigwigs of the oil companies.

Ethanol, though clean burning, takes more energy to produce than it provides. What kind of energy is used to produce it? Energy made by oil and other fossil fuels. So, it's not really that efficient. If the government wasn't heavily subsidizing it, it would probably not be around.

That being said, I think biodiesel is extremely important, and one of the reasons I bought my truck. Not only can you make your own fuel, you can choose what your exhaust smells like depending on what was fried in the oil. There is nothing wrong with leaving the beautiful aroma of fried catfish for all to behold. It could be like a menu: Mondays are chicken, Tuesdays, funnel cakes, etc. A diesel owner could be the pied piper of the fat kids!

The great thing about agriculturally produced ethanol is that it is a closed carbon cycle, that is the source of the ethanol(plants) uses the carbon(dioxide) produced from burning it, unlike petroleum that releases stored carbon from the earth,with no direct remedy for reclaiming it. Same thing with bio-diesel. It is just plain better. No argument, unless you are an oil mogul,love smog,cancer,and hate nature. Or you think Chernobyl sounds like a nice vacation spot and won't mind a nuclear waste dump in your back yard because nuclear energy is "smart" energy.
    Agricultural ethanol is more efficient than petroleum. When I find the university studies that say so I will post the links.

I was down in Tucson yesterday so I made sure I filled up with B20. I added 10.0 gallons to my petro diesel. Haven't done any remotely complex math, but I figure that is close to mixing it down to the B5 Chevy says is OK. Well as expected my milage is way up (cetane boost of bio-diesel) and the DMAX is purring. I also received an unexpected benefit, a lower price per gallon. The listed price per gallon was $2.449 (the same price I paid for petro diesel), but the fuel distributer gave me a soy fuels discount of $9 bucks. That brought it down into the $16.00 range. I'm a happy camper. Just wish I lived closer to Tucson and the fuel distributer was open Saturdays.
    KL
    2004 Silverado 2500: HD D/A LB7 4X4, SnugTop XV, Bilsteins, AEM Brute Force HD intake, Banks Monster exhaust, Hypertech
    1981 Airstream Excella 280 Turbo Diesel (Isuzu 6BD1T/Chevy P30) Motorhome
    2010 VW Golf TDI

Anyone have any ideas how we can get biodiesel to spread? Congressmen and senators don't answer their email. Go figure.