Thread: How to improve MPG in '02 6.6L duramax???

Default How to improve MPG in '02 6.6L duramax???

I have an '02 Duramax in a Chev Silv 2500HD 4x4 crew cab running 15w40 Amsoil and Amsoil air filter with a Superchip set at Performance Tow (BTW...the superchip made NO difference in my MPG at any of the 3 settings) - getting 17mpg in town -19 mpg hwy. at 75mph (average).

How can I improve the MPG?
    Has anyone tried a scoup in the hood to force air in or a bigger exhaust to reduce back pressure?

Thank you in advance for your help! PJvH

Talking

Grow wings and only drive into the wind.
    2011 Chevrolet Tahoe 5.3L daily driver
    • Previous owner of two 1994 6.5L K3500s, '01, '02, and '05 6.6L K2500s, '04 C4500, '06 K3500 dually, '06 K3500 SRW, '09 K3500HD SRW, '05 Denali
    • Total GM diesel miles to date : ~950K

Arrow Drive slower....

That's a good one...

Install an EGT gauge (pre-turbo pyro installation), then alter your driving habits in ways that keep the EGT's at or below 600 degrees... You'll see a significant MPG improvement.... In my truck, that's about 55-mph on flat highway with no winds...

Jim

MP I know your right, but I think I would go nuts if I tried driving across the country or across Texas driving 55. Ain't goonna happen.

PJvH, I don't think either of those items would help mileage. Its all about getting the most out of the fuel your right foot in demanding and keeping weight and wind resistence to a minimum. Easy starts accelerate slowly, let the TC lock up before shoving down on the petal so that slippage is minimized.Also one of the most overlooked things is to not back off the accelerator too quickly. Try not to use the engine as a brake, just start easing back slightly and glide down in speed. I think your mileage is pretty good for the speed. Oh yeah drive 55, Noooooo Nooot Tttthhhhaaaatt Ssssslllllloooowww..

Add about 5 more pound of air in the tires also helps. Doesn't hurt the tires any either, I just turned 80,000 miles on the original Bridgestones that came on the truck this morning.
    02 2500HD LT D/A SB CC 4X4 BLACK, Westin stainless nerf bars, BW GN Hitch,Racor 60S post oem fuel filter, Oil Guard bypass engine oil Filter. All synthetic fluids. Kennedy boost valve, edge, Modified air intake,EGT & Boost digital gauge,TransferFlow combo fuel & tool box, Air Lift Suspesion Bags Rear & compressor with remote, Bilsteins front & rear, Frontier front replacement bumper.

Arrow

I think it would be a good exercise to aim for 600 degrees EGT, and then do everything possible to the truck and driving habits to raise MPH. Of course, tires, external accessories, weight, driving habits and other factors can all be tweaked to raise MPH, while maintaining the 600 degree limit.

It could require a a change in driving techniques to maximize fuel economy.

Jim
    Last edited by More Power; 06-09-2006 at 13:15.

Slowing down to only 65 average would likely bring your mpg up 1 mpg.

Have you considered a tonneau cover to smooth out airflow? They look nice, too.

A front air dam and lowering your front torsion bars (and getting a re-alignment) might cut air under the truck.

Run all synthetics - engine, tranny, transfer, diffs.

Road tread tires, not mud/snow traction types.
    2011 Chevrolet Tahoe 5.3L daily driver
    • Previous owner of two 1994 6.5L K3500s, '01, '02, and '05 6.6L K2500s, '04 C4500, '06 K3500 dually, '06 K3500 SRW, '09 K3500HD SRW, '05 Denali
    • Total GM diesel miles to date : ~950K

Default PJvH

Thank you all for your helpful replies!

I am running full sythetics throughout, Michelin 265-75R-16 LTX/MS (recalibrated to non-stock tire size by SuperChips) w/ 55psi front and rear, just aligned, with empty bed. I start slow and look ahead to minimize using brakes by easing up on throttle when distant light is amber or red. I occassionally use Tow Haul to slow the vehicle - it increases rpm but at no cost to fuel consumption (I think) Camper shell or open bed I get the same mpg. I guess the most useful thing is to drive slower! - but in Atlanta area you get run over under 70!

Thanks again friends!

Default you are not doing all that bad

My '03 numbers are 20 hwy and 17 city, summer, #2 fuel at 65MPH hwy.

I agree that your not doing all that bad at 75mph.
    \'03 Silverado 2500HD Ext Cab, Long Bed LS trim- Pewter, Duramax - stock

I have the same truck (mine has 72K). I get the same mileage as you. I get 16.5-17 city/18.5-19.5 hwy depending on speed. At 75 mph, I'll get 18.5 at 65 mph it's 19.5.
    I have Michelin MTX 265's and run them at 55 psi front/50 psi rear when unloaded. Other than running synthetics, there isn't anything else you can do. Mileage has everything to do with weight, coefficient of drag, but mostly speed.
    Not much you can do about weight and coefficient of drag. Reducing speed helps but I'm unwilling to drive 55mph...
    A bed cover helps a little with drag. Driving with your tailgate down INCREASES drag and hurts mileage, it goes against convention, but it's been proven in tests.

Lightbulb

I run more air pressure in my Mich 265's, 65-70 front and 55-60 rear when unloaded. The truck handles better with a little more pressure and the tire "squat" looks correct. More pressure should decrease rolling resistance.

Jim

I saw a recent study that actually proved that two identical trucks tested, one with a bed cover and one without, under identical driving conditions at the same time revealed that the truck without the bed cover actually got better mpg. The bed, with tailgate up, create a circular wind pattern so the majority of air coming over the cab actually is redirected by the air circulating in the box. Conversely, the bed cover acts as a higher resistence to the air coming over the cab creating more drag. I think a cab high cap might be more fuel efficient but I no longer believe a bed cover is.

Sounds weird but I've accidently left trash bags in my bed and driving down the road they don't immediately fly out rather start going around in this circular pattern until it catches enough of the over the cab wind to pull it out of this airflow. The tailgate down causes the same effect, actually worse since you've created a longer flat level for resistance, as the bed cover.
    07 GMC 2500HD Classic 4x4 SB CC Duramax
    94 GMC 1500 Z71 EC - 175k miles and going strong
    Previous Truck:
    01 Chevy 3500 CC 4x4 Duramax DRW

My '02 makes slightly less mpg than some here (17-18.5 at 75) but maybe for reasons that have been mentioned. I live in central MT where the wind always blows. I have my tire pressure at 50 front and 45 rear. I drive alot of rough gravel roads that would shake the rig to pieces at higher psi. I tend to have a heavy foot when it comes to passing on 2 lanes. When there is a break in traffic I use all available power to make a save pass. Tonneau on or off I can't tell any difference in mpg. I also see a big difference in fuel. One station I fill at when on the road has premium fuel that adds 1 to 2 mpg most every time I fill there.

As to using the pyro as per MP's idea I have played with this for years and it doesn't always stay consistant. Imade a run to Missoula yesterday. Most of the trip at 75 mph the pyro ran at 675-700. From Great Falls to home it was raining and cooler. Pyro ran at 600-625 at same speed and similar wind. I know my mialge didn't go up when temps went down. I've checked it many times. I do believe there is a corolation but like others I can't drive 55. Heck some days keeping it under 90 is tough.
    2002 Chev D/A CC LB - it's gone