Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 97 3500hd DURAMAX CONVERSION

Default help

who did your wireing

Call PPE they make a hot rod harness they call it and you can put a duramax in anything even boats.

Well Guys sorry for the delay on updates, but i've been really busy becoming a piggy (cop) lol. I have got alot of progess done on the conversion though. The core surpport is done which i ended up using a 12v intercooler. The motor is built and ready to go in and so is the transmission. The motor and transmission should be going this weekend but u never know lol.

Heres Pics of the core support.

Heres Pics Of the engine. what do you guys think of the white valve covers?

And sum more of the truck.

Quote Originally Posted by 85chevyk30 View Post
    Call PPE they make a hot rod harness they call it and you can put a duramax in anything even boats.
    If you're not very handy with wiring, this is your best option. Otherwise you can build the harness yourself. They quoted me $1200 to take a factory harness and modify it to work. I don't know about most people, but the 2 days I spent modding the harness custom to my SUBURBAN was worth alot less than $1200.
    1995 GMC 2500 SUBURBAN powered by 01 DURAMAX/ALLISON, 3.42 gears, 261 T-case
    Trans has a mild build with ALOT of help from MIKE L. which included ALTO's for C1-C4 and a PI ML converter
    DIAMONDEYE 4" exhaust with a CORSA muffler, AFE stage 1 dry filter, EFILIVE, KENNEDY single pump and pump rub kit.

Well i have a pretty good idea on the wiring. but my cousins has it figured out hes a gm master mechanic. Thats how i got all my parts cheap and my injectors lol . Well today i got alot of work done i got the oil pans on the motor and buttoned it up. Then i wired wheeled my frame and gave it a good coat of undercoating. I also got my motor mounts welded up today and my new 5in exhaust mocked up to. So tomorrow i hope i can test fit the engine and tranny and figure out how im going to build my cross member. I will have sum more pics up monday probly.

Well i got alot done last weekend and the motor and tranny is in the frame. I did run into sum problems like my front driveshaft angle is crazy the tcase and allsion is alot different then my old tcase. The allison and 263 transfercase has hardly no drop to it, my old borg warner 4470 hung down pretty far so i dont know what im goin to about that front end right now.

Heres sum more pics of what i got done today. What do guys think i should do about the front driveline angle. I think im goin to shim the front axle upwards to help the angle sum. I also think im goin to use a slip yoke eliminator kit in the transfercase and then get a constant veliocity joint drive shaft. Do you guys have any suggestions.

You're making progress!

The front driveline angle looks a little too steep. How did the previous setup look and work? You may need to re-clock the txfer case to get a better front driveline angle.

Jim

yea its for sure steep. Im trying to find a clocking kit got the transfer case right not but i can't find one right now. The old tcase was cocked down pretty far so it was that bad.

I would strongly reccomend a PRO-COMP front fixed yoke conversion kit for the transfer case and put in a KENNEDY wear plate in the case as well for insurance.

You may want to take a look at LONNIES build on his older GM truck.
    http://www.lonniesperformance.com/82chevyduramax.htm

EDIT: PRO-COMP doesn't seem to offer the kit by itself anymore, ORU(off road unlimited) carries it now. It's not cheap, but if you plan on using 4 wheel drive it will be a neccesity with those driveline angles you have.
    http://www.offroadunlimited.com/orus...dproduct=19554
    Last edited by THEFERMANATOR; 12-30-2009 at 13:55.
    Trans has a mild build with ALOT of help from MIKE L. which included ALTO's for C1-C4 and a PI ML converter
    DIAMONDEYE 4" exhaust with a CORSA muffler, AFE stage 1 dry filter, EFILIVE, KENNEDY single pump and pump rub kit.

Yea unlimited offroad is the only place i could find s slip yoke eliminator kit its like 500 bucks, its hard to swallow that much lol, but i have to have it. Do you think if i just get that kit and use a constant veliocity joint in my drive shaft that it will work. Or do you think i should try to find a clocking kit for the transfer case. Do you anyone that makes a clocking kit. sorry for all the questions.

the bolt pattern for the NEW PROCESS transfer cases is universal, so an ADVANCE ADAPTERS one should do the trick. The difference was that GM and DODGE were clocked 90 degrees out from each other. If you went with a CV at the T case I would think you would be fine with it.

I will call advanced adapters tom. and see how much they are. I got you another questions since my tcase is eletronic i want to retro fit a push button from my body style truck instead of the 01 push button could it be done.

I will call advanced adapters tom. and see how much they are. I got you another questions since my tcase is eletronic i want to retro fit a push button from my body style truck instead of the 01 push button could it be done.
    It might be doable, but I honestly couldn't tell you for certain. I know that the 01+ works in conjunction with the class 2 data bus for info like 4 low and when it's in 4 wheel drive. The encoder motor on the 263 is nothing like that of the earlier styles I have seen either. I went with a floor shifted 261 to simplify all of that as I already had the floor shifter in mine.

Arrow

I agree with theferm about data bus communications.... If you want the pushbutton controls, I'd suggest keeping the control panel that matches the model year of your engine/trans package. Just be a little creative in how you incorporate the pushbutton control panel into your existing dash. This would make it a whole lot easier, and it'll look good if done right.

Jim

heres sum new pics. I got the exhaust done so far, and the fuel system is done too.