Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 97 3500hd DURAMAX CONVERSION

Making progress! Good Job!

Jim

Would someone be kind enough to pm me Mike L's phone number in Cal.

I have a 4L80E been hind a 6.5. I have gone through three 6.5's and still have the orginal transmission. I have now put a Cummins 5.9 in front of it. I will be finishing up the wiring and odds and inns this next week.

I would be interested in taking with him if you would give a few.

thanks
    1998 1500 Suburban 4x4 3:42gears 5.9 Cummins

Quote Originally Posted by computer monkey View Post
    Would someone be kind enough to pm me Mike L's phone number in Cal.

I have a 4L80E been hind a 6.5. I have gone through three 6.5's and still have the orginal transmission. I have now put a Cummins 5.9 in front of it. I will be finishing up the wiring and odds and inns this next week.

I would be interested in taking with him if you would give a few.

thanks
    http://inglewoodtransmission.com/
    1995 GMC 2500 SUBURBAN powered by 01 DURAMAX/ALLISON, 3.42 gears, 261 T-case
    Trans has a mild build with ALOT of help from MIKE L. which included ALTO's for C1-C4 and a PI ML converter
    DIAMONDEYE 4" exhaust with a CORSA muffler, AFE stage 1 dry filter, EFILIVE, KENNEDY single pump and pump rub kit.

Thank you for the reply
    1998 1500 Suburban 4x4 3:42gears 5.9 Cummins

Quote Originally Posted by THEFERMANATOR View Post
    Those guys don't exactly have a good reputation for building what they advertise, many an unhappy customer with them in the diesel world. A 4L80E will surviv in a car in 1st-3rd, but WILL self destruct in 4th if you give it any power. The guy in ORLANDO FL with the 9 second quarter mile DURAMAX MUSTANG is running a 4L80E tranny, but even he will admit that it cannot hold in OD for anything more than steady cruising. The BUICK GRAND NATIONAL with a DURAMAX is backed by a 4L85E built my MIKE L., but you won't catch him in OD doing anything more than steady cruising. In a truck at even stock power levels the 4L80E will NOT hold, and even with a full on build capable of holding 1200HP it won't take more than about 500 torque in OD which a DURAMAX will make stock no problems.

It's your money, but I would strongly caution against it. You already have the HD truck, why not give it a true HD driveline. I know lotsofmiles(a member on McRats forum) has a DURAMAX van and can obliterate a 4L80E with just tuning in his LLY van and is currently in the process of swapping in an 06 ALLISON as he is tired of tranny problems. And I know pussow(the guy on EBAY who sells the conversion CD on EBAY) also got rid of his 4L80E as it couldn't hold up to his 06 van motor(250HP version). Just remember this when you make your decision, most tranny shops advertise HP numbers that there tranny can hold. But who cares? It's a diesel, so torque is the number you have to concern yourself with. Hence why a 700R4 can be built up to hold up to some pretty high HP small block chevies(550HP+), but even a stock 165HP 6.2L will eventually kill it even built.
    So how will a 4l80e from the people at Jake's performance hold up? They say that a stage 5 4l80e from them will hold up to 1800 horse at the wheels from when I talked to them