Thread: 2014 Ram Transmission failure

Unhappy 2014 Ram Transmission failure

A good friend of our's "Don" has a stock 2014 Ram Diesel with the Aisin Automatic.
    He tows a 34' fifth wheel about 1,000 miles per year. And then a small cargo trailer for his business.
    He has 74,000 miles on the truck.
    He has had the trans rebuilt twice under warranty, and now his truck has been sitting at the dealer for over two weeks, yet again the transmission has gone south.
    Needs a total rebuild and another torque converter.
    The dealer said the parts are on back order and may take weeks to get.
    They checked other dealers for the pars, but those dealers wouldn't give them up.
    Sounds like there is a problem with the Aisin,
    The dealer tried to get Chrysler to allow them to order a new transmission, due to the fact that no parts are available. Chrysler agreed.
    They found out that there are only 3 transmissions available east of the Mississippi.
    And they may be spoken for by other dealers.
    His Service writer said that they have been having some problems with the Aisin.
    Don is disgusted with the Ram.
    We just went to our Chevy dealer and test drove a new 2017 Duramax High Country.
    What a good running truck.
    He is going to trade his Ram in on one when he finally gets it back.
    Could be a few more weeks till they get it repaired.
    Don has a power stroke and in the past always drove Duramax's.
    He said the Ram didn't pull quite as well as his 2011 Chevy Dmax did and the Ram used more fuel.
    Don has some friends that have Ram's and two have told him that they started noticing their trucks were shuddering and shifting different, their dealer told them that it was normal. Dealer said that the transmission just wasn't broke in yet ????
    I've never heard of an automatic having to be broke in. Maybe the dealer meant it was learning the driving habits of the owner? Still shouldn't shudder?
    Well one of the trucks just got broke in, because they just towed it back to the dealer, and the trans is burned up!
    He said that he has learned his lesson and will stay with the Allison's.

Update, his Dealer was able to order a new tranny, if it arrives soon they will have his truck repaired in a week or so.

Default Update.

Got his truck back and ordered a 2017 Duramax crew cab.
    When it comes in, he will trade his Ram in on it.
    He has owned 3 Dmax's in the past and never had any major issues.
    Said he doesn't know what possessed him to buy a Ram.
    He learned his lesson.
    Dealer admitted that they have started seeing some issues on the newer Aisin Transmission's.
    Although they have been a pretty good trans, they are having issues with the torque converters, which burns up the trans.
    It is a pressure issue and they are working on a fix for it on the new transmissions.

Dodges have always had little problems with miscellaneous little items braking, knobs, handles, ect. I told a friend of mine that before he bought one and he blamed me for it because I said it.
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government."
    -Patrick Henry

A5150nut
    2006 K3500 D/A
    94 6.5 4x4 5spd Sold

Yeah, I agree we had one. We had lot's of little problems right from the get go when it was new like fuel gauge and senders, brakes. Worse brakes I have ever had on a truck.
    Oh and our automatic trans was rebuilt 6 times under warranty and then extended warranty.
    Truck wasn't turned up, it was stock and we towed about 50 % of the time.
    The cummins is an awesome engine too bad they don't build a better truck around it.

Oh yeah buddy.

My Son in laws 08 Dodge is sitting in the driveway with a dead tranny
    His has the older 68RFE behind the 6.7 Cummins

We finished toasting it last fall hauling the Army truck up to the ranch after taking it to DMV for a VIN inspection.

The lockup converter clutch fried.

As we pulled into the yard the nasty smell of Burnt dog poop wafted out from under the hood and in the windows

Dodge told him the Smell was normal and the tranny just needed an oil and filter change.

I told the kid to check with a performance tranny shop close by him, and they confirmed what I told him... CONVERTER CLUTCH GONE

Non warranty repair cost of about $6000 plus
    This includes a much improved multi disc clutch and many updates and performance parts inside the box.

The BUZZZZZ was that the Aisin was the real deal and was as tough as nails
    ??????

Would seem that their nails may be a tad soft.

We had a 1995 Dodge 2500 4x4 with the V10 and used it to haul the 4 horse Goose neck trailer.

The V10 was a beast (Ate like one too)
    The tranny lasted about 6 weeks and literally tore itself to pieces.
    Warranty got us a fresh tranny and it lasted about another 6 weeks and we traded the Dodge off for a 97 PS Ford

The FORD was a bigger POS and it got offed after 25k miles.

Scrounged up a 1986 Chevy 3500 CC 4X4 3+3 Dahooooley
    454 truck with a Turbo 400

Beat that thing unmercifully hauling that Goose neck trailer.

Never an issue.

The big 3 always seem to have real epic fails when it comes to the gear boxes.

Dodge trannies are pure junk.
    Ford is little better
    The GM boxes seem to handle the job better
    The Big Ally is about the best box in a pickup.

Unless you take the tranny to an after market performance shop and have them build it to "Kill"... the autos just struggle to live under harsh (We consider normal) usage.

After our list of truck failures back in 95-96-97 I contacted Freightliner about building us a FL50 "Toy hauler" and spec'd it out with the Small Cat and a baby 13 speed road ranger and tandem axle, full air brakes.

The cost was about $65000 which at the time was more than we wanted to cough up for a rig to pull the trailer.

I should have bit the bullet and done it.

Pickups are just not built to deal with what so many folks need them for.

Sad deal.

Hope the fella is happy with his 17 GM rig
    (1) 1995 Suburban 2500 4x4
    (1) 1997 Astro
    (1) 2005 Suburban (Papa Smurf)
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY

Maybe that is why I saw an article today said Ram is getting Allison in 2019
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government."
    -Patrick Henry

A5150nut
    2006 K3500 D/A
    94 6.5 4x4 5spd Sold

You know that Ally 1,000 was put behind many a Cummins in other applications before the D-max was ever even thought about for GM pickups.