Thread: Engine coolant heater question

Default Engine coolant heater question

Another question from a new duramax owner. The cord to plug for the engine coolant heater (engine block heater? same thing??) is short and right now I am draping the cord over the edge of the body under the hood in one of those notches on the inside of the body panel. This means I have to open the hood everytime I want to plug the heater in. This is a 2006 Silverado LB7 engine. My old '96 Sierra 6.5 just had the cord hanging down in front and I accessed it through the left front wheel well. Is there a way of threading the cord down into the right front wheel well a way that won't damage anything and I don't have to open the hood?

Arrow

A little careful routing should get it to the tow hook, or under/over the bumper in the area. I do not recommend having it hanging in the wheel well area.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Dmax, it seems like the cord is fairly short. It seems like it's only a couple feet long! I'll just have to wait for a warmer, sunny day and see if I can try your suggestion.

Put Rotella 5W40 oil in it and forget about the plug. I think I've plugged mine in twice in 4 years...
    The Constitution needs to be re-read, not re-written!

If you can't handle Dr. Seuss, how will you handle real life?

Current oil burners: MB GLK250 BlueTEC, John Deere X758
    New ride: MB GLS450 - most stately
    Gone but not forgotten: '87 F350 7.3, '93 C2500 6.5, '95 K2500 6.5, '06 K2500HD 6.6, '90 MB 350SDL, Kubota 7510

Arrow

It's long enough. Barely.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Do you have a spot where you can put this?

http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/p...ter_Plug_a.JPG

Mine used to just make it over the grill/under the hood - would hang out about 3 inches. The constant moving around of the cord end caused the wires inside to fail, which why I went with the permanent install.

Where 'bouts in Eastern PA are you?
    1998 K2500 Suburban 6.5L TD 3.73 rear, Ron Schoolcraft 18:1, Kennedy ECM & IC, Timing gears, Splayed main caps, 3.5" Kennedy Exhuast/No Cat, K&N Filter, Boost/Tranny Temp/EGT(Pre Turbo), Ceramic-coated Manifolds, 195 Stat's, 265/75's (VSSB Adjusted) 7,000lbs (on a scale) Remote Mount Oil Filter, Remote Oil Pressure Sensor

I wrestled with that idiotic, too-short cord until I finally realized it was simply too short and no amount of jury-rigging was going to fix that.

So... I bought a 4-foot long heavy duty extension cord and gave the factory cord the length it should have had right from day one.

I secured the business end of the xtension cord behind the right front bumper (up out of the way as much as possible from road garbage... snaked the cord upwards and plugged the heater cord in.

Everything is secured so nothing rubs or vibrates.

So far, so good.

2009 GMC SLT 3500 Xtended Cab 6.6L
    Lubricated By Rotella T-6 and Amsoil EAO52 Filter

Last time I checked, you could buy replacement block heater cords at most auto parts stores. They plug in at both ends, so installing a replacement (perhaps longer) cord is possible...

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by More Power View Post
    Last time I checked, you could buy replacement block heater cords at most auto parts stores. They plug in at both ends, so installing a replacement (perhaps longer) cord is possible...

Jim
    I did not know that.

2009 GMC SLT 3500 Xtended Cab 6.6L
    Lubricated By Rotella T-6 and Amsoil EAO52 Filter

Quote Originally Posted by painthorsemom View Post
    Another question from a new duramax owner. The cord to plug for the engine coolant heater (engine block heater? same thing??) is short and right now I am draping the cord over the edge of the body under the hood in one of those notches on the inside of the body panel. This means I have to open the hood everytime I want to plug the heater in. This is a 2006 Silverado LB7 engine. My old '96 Sierra 6.5 just had the cord hanging down in front and I accessed it through the left front wheel well. Is there a way of threading the cord down into the right front wheel well a way that won't damage anything and I don't have to open the hood?
    The cord is plenty long:

http://www.kennedydiesel.com/dmaxblockheater.html
    Kennedy Diesel-owner
    More than just a salesman-I use and test the products that I sell on a daily basis!
    Superflow Lie Detector in house
    2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT 11.77@ 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
    2005 Chev K3500SRW D/A CC Long LT(SOLD)
    2007 Chev K2500 Classic EC Short LT (Sold)
    2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Happy Birthday to me! Built 1 working day after my birthday and delivered 7 days later.
    2016 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC short LTZ

Custom tuning in house using EFI Live tuning software!

Kennedy Diesel-owner
    More than just a salesman-I use and test the products that I sell on a daily basis!
    Superflow Lie Detector in house
    2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT 11.77@ 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
    2005 Chev K3500SRW D/A CC Long LT(SOLD)
    2007 Chev K2500 Classic EC Short LT (Sold)
    2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Happy Birthday to me! Built 1 working day after my birthday and delivered 7 days later.
    2016 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC short LTZ

Custom tuning in house using EFI Live tuning software!

Smile

I used the simplest solution to the 'too short' heater core cord.

In my 2004, the cord runs up inside a split wiring 'shield' and exits the shield quite high. I just removed the cord from the top 18 inches of the split wiring shield, cut a small notch into the split of the shield where the cord now exits, and with straps attached the plug onto the passenger side tow hook, facing forward. All I do now is push the house extension cord onto the now solidly attached heater core plug.

Worked for me.

Tor
    2004 GMC 2500HD SLE Duramax, Allison sb cc
    2016 Acura TLX SH-AWD Elite