Thread: Hydraulic Power Brake Booster leaking......

Well after reading the following post a few weeks ago, http://forum.62-65-dieselpage.com/ub...c&f=7&t=003115, last week I noticed fluid around the top of the shock tower, and running down the inner wheel well.
    I took it into the dealer today.. sure enough...it was the hydraulic power brake booster assy. leaking all over. Oddly enough...the brake fluid reservoir was still full....hmmm. The good part is it was under warranty...the bad part is that it melted the wax off of the chassis and I now have lots-o-metal exposed. I thought about just picking up some black primer or maybe undercoating and dosome touch up. Any suggestions....

Replacement part number 15757280 Booster 4.805

No TSB known.

Rgds,
    Don
    DP Member 9428<br />2002 Chevy 2500HD LT, D/A, Ext. Cab, SB, Dark Carmine Red/Med. Grey.

It is typically not the brake fluid that leaks, it is power steering fluid. I would ask the dealer to re-do the undercoating - seems like that should be part of the warranty repair. Of course I asked them to clean the PS fluid off the chassis when mine leaked, and they did a really half-assed job of that.
    Tim<br />\'01 GMC 2500HD, regular cab, Duramax/Allison

Thanks Black Dog,

What you mentioned in the original thread about PSF now makes sense. I checked the web to find info so I could better understand how this brake system works. Here is what I found at http://www.autoshop-online.com/auto101/brake1.html...."Hydraulic booster systems usually tap into the power steering pump's pressure, and use this power to augment pressure to the master cylinder."

I asked the dealer about the wax coating repair and they gave me an excuse...the chassis is dipped into the wax at the factory...blah..blah..we don't have the ability to fix that.

So if any of you have had a positive experience with the dealer being able to restore the coating please let us know so...once again...we can enlighten our favored (not!) service consultants at our local stealers.
    DP Member 9428<br />2002 Chevy 2500HD LT, D/A, Ext. Cab, SB, Dark Carmine Red/Med. Grey.

Had the famous hydroboost replaced at 22,000 miles, same time as 1st fuel filter change.

one must wonder, WHY we are all seeing this happen.... is there a FAULTY seal in this thing or what?

I complained about my bare metal as well, and was told the same crap, about it being done at the factory, they offered to do some "oil undercoating" (this is done here in Vermont on just about every vehicle on the road every year)..... and I declined, these are the SAME idiots that when they washed my truck, they only washed the driver's side...... seems they forgot that there are 2 people that drive this, and 1 of us are going to end up looking at the passenger side eventually.... I'm not worried about the rust spot/bare metal, it will be undercoated in September, along with the rest of our rigs.

anyone have idea's about this faulty hydroboost?

Brandy
    2001 2500 HD D/A <br />Crew Cab,SB PEWTER <p>No problems current cept the wonderful custom paint \"decals\" she received as part of her 10 day stay at the wonderful dealers- where 91 and 89 meet in New Hampshire- STAY AWAY!!!!!!!!!!

I am (im)patiently awaiting for the dealer to get my second hydro boost in. Original one leaked, second one whines, so hopefully the thrid one will be ok. Also had to have them order another turn signal switch. First one went out (no trailer brake lights) at around 15,000 miles, Second one went out at 25,000. Talked with the service rep about opening a case # on this... If I have continuing problems with it, I expect GM to continue to replace them even after 36,000. Everyone needs to check their hazard lights from time to time... if they stop working or if you have to push the switch to the right to get them to work, you need to get the switch replaced. This multi-process switch also controls your trailer brake lights. Just a little extra info.
    Hoss...<p>2001 Chevy 3500 LS Crew-Cab, 4X4, DMax/Allison, Lt Pewter Metallic/Graphite Int., Turnoverball Gooseneck Hitch, Line-X Bedliner, Amsoil air filter, Amsoil fluids bumper to bumper<p>* Sure, the Marines are a Department of the Navy... the \"MEN\'S\" Department *<p>Member since Jan 2001

mattb5150 Guest

Mine is leaking from between the hydro boost and the brake reservoir, told the dealer, they tightened the pressure line, idiots. On both my 93 6.5's the hydro boosts didn't start leaking til way after 150K miles.

Matt B.

Thumbs down

Matt,

I would take your truck back and demand the stealer replace the hydro booster under warranty. There have been several people who have had to have theirs replaced. A simple tightening of the pressure line won't do. Besides that, if it leaks again, all the Power Steering fluid is going to ruin the wax coating on the chassis and then you will have a rusted frame.

How's that garlic?? Has Gilroy had their annual f$&^%&# crazy day (I mean the Garlic Festival) yet?

DON

mattb5150 Guest

Cool

Don,

That's what I'm planning on doing, talking to Service Manager tomorrow if I have the time. Went to the Garlic Festival on Sunday.

Matt B.