Thread: Help! Classic bad injector symptoms, dealer wants to replace pump 1st (135,000 miles)

Default Help! Classic bad injector symptoms, dealer wants to replace pump 1st (135,000 miles)

Truck is a 2002, totally stock, all original. Daily Driver, pull a 5K lb boat a few times/yr.
    No symptoms until yesterday.
    Then truck started idling rough at stoplights. Oil pressure dropped to about 20. Drove 10 mi home, got out and looked under the truck and a stream (like pee) of oil/diesel fuel was coming out the back of the engine near the top of the oil pan area.
    Checked the oil and none was touching the stick.
    After reading many threads last night I was certain is was the injectors (never been replaced). The dealer "thinks" it's the injector pump, which isn't under warranty. I think they should replace the injectors (under warranty) 1st to see if that fixes it, then if it doesn't replace the pump.

What are the difference in symptoms between a pump and the injectors?
    How much is an injector pump to replace , parts+labor???
    HELP PLEASE!!!!
    Last edited by nlp; 08-02-2006 at 13:00.

Arrow

Sounds like the classic injector/return line problem. Engine roughness is due to so much liquid being in the crankcase, which is interfering with the dynamics of crankshaft rotation.

You should be able to detect a problem with an injector by looking at injector balance with a Tech II. There's also a fuel injector return flow test that can be done to confirm/eliminate the injectors.

However, getting a new pump might be a good thing if it's on their dime - even if they have to replace the injectors later on. If it's on your dime, I'd push for them to replace the injectors first.

Jim

Thanks more power!
    Does this mean you think its injectors or the pump, or the return line??????

Arrow

I can say with almost certainty it's your injectors. I suggest you let the dealer replace the pump, with an understanding that if it doesn't fix it, they cover the pump cost. That way, when they do replace the injectors, you'll have a new pump and all new injectors, on their dime. If it (for some odd reason) turns out it was the pump, you would have replaced it anyway. Sounds like a win-win situation to me. If they want to chase the wrong goose, let them. Just make sure you have an understanding of no out of pocket if they are wrong.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Unhappy

You guys are awesome!!!!!
    You don't know how much I appreciate your time and help!!!
    Wish me luck!

My dealer is asking for help about the 200,000 mi Injector Warranty for 2001-2003's. Apparently they haven't heard about it yet... :-(

Arrow

You might print our article on the 2001/02 LB7 Extended Fuel Injector Warranty, then let them have a look....

Regarding injectors or return lines..... Some oil dilution problems have been due to a loose fuel return line fitting(s), while more were due to defective injectors.

Good luck,

Jim
    Last edited by More Power; 08-02-2006 at 21:14.