Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: How much do you like your 6.5

Default How much do you like your 6.5

Now we have had more moaning about this or that than we need for a while.

This thread is all about the good things we have to say about our 6.5 powered rigs.

No trouble issues allowed..

I absolutely love my 95 Dahooooley. Of all the trucks I have owned in the last 10 years this little sweety is just so nice to drive and just has a feeling like an old pair of shoes that ya just cant part with.

The 94 Burb is much the same way. Great family rig and always handy to go haul stuff or just cruise off for the weekend.

Great mileage for a large vehicle. Sucker goes great in the snow too with no issues.
    All in all if I could buy some brand new ones right now I would do it in a heartbeat (94-95)

Lets here some more stories of your favorite 6.5 powered truck or Burb

Best to all

Robyn
    (1) 1995 Suburban 2500 4x4
    (1) 1997 Astro
    (1) 2005 Suburban (Papa Smurf)
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY

Default WE like our 6.5 Suburban

We've found our GMC 6.5 Suburban to be one of the most versatile vehicles ever owned.
    Great for carrying people plus luggage, hauling trailers, it's spacious. My wife likes the high seating for a good view compared to our old Volvo 940.

A couple of years ago we were up in the Scottish Highlands for a break, on the way back home we were laughing at the other 4x4 having to strap their mountain bikes to the outside or roof. We had everything in the back including the bikes with the rearmost seats folded and moved forward.

Last weekend I needed a trailer load of gravel from a local quarry, as usual I asked the machine operator to load the 16ft bed trailer right up. Ended up with 7 tons of gravel on that trailer (+ trailer which weighs 1 ton)and the 6.5 pulled it back home with no problems. The Heath PCM probably helped a little, hee hee!!
    Had to take it easy so I didn't blow the trailer tires though.

I regularly put all the rear seats down, slide in a 8x4 sheet of plywood and use it as a service vehicle for my work as a self employed Caterpillar mechanic.

Cruising at motorway (highway) speeds of 70+mph is a breeze. To add to this the fuel consumption is pretty damn good for a BIG 3 ton 4x4.

We will be moving to Alberta as soon as the house sells and the 6.5 Sub will be going with us too.

Best wishes to all us 6.5 fans

Jim
    Biggar, Scotland,
    soon to be Alberta, Canada
    PS. the Sub is looking forward to getting back over to North America and onto the correct side of the road.

We own an operate a local gun shop and we also do trade shows from time to time. Not all that long ago we booked a show in Las Vegas.
    This is about 1450 miles one way for us. The Burb was a sweetheart all the way and pulled down about 19 MPG avg for the trip. Lots of mountains to go over both coming and going.

I sort of keep an unofficial mental note of how many diesel Burbs there are in the community here.
    Not hard to spot either with the Two Nostrils in the bumper.
    very popular with the Horsie people here as well as many large families.

Good safe transportation me thinks.

Sort of odd that Ford dropped the Excursion.
    Seems to me that they should have been as good as a Burb.
    I drove a friends a while back and it has the Powerstroke in it.
    Drove as nice as our Burb.

Must have been a sales thing me thinks.

Its wonderful to post some positive things here.
    Generally when I come on in the early AM to cruise the forums prior to heading out all I see is "My broken this or my failed that" and who should I blame.

Please folks add some more good news and stories of your fav rig.
    Some pix of the units would be good too but lets not get crazy with tons of them per post.

My goal in starting this thread is to lighten the mood a little and possibly encourage more positive postings.
    We are all here to help each other with problems and not for one minute do I believe that issues will just go away.
    I for one am the first to jump on my soapbox and howl if I am unhappy.

Lets see if we can keep this thread running for a long time and who knows maybe a record or something

Best to all

Robyn
    (1) 1997 Astro
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY

I really enjoy my 96. It pulls my 5th well, and hauls loads great. I love the looks, even better than the 2000 to date body styles. All this and 20+ mpg when I keep my foot out of it. Just got new treads on back so snow handling should improve. All in all, if I needed to replace my truck, the only thing I would change is going to a crew cab, grand kids are getting bigger!
    I am putting an addition onto the garage just for the truck. With only 90 K on it I plan on keeping it for a while.
    Jim
    96 GMC 2500 Ext cab Long bed, 8600#, 3.73, Amsoil air filter, amsoil oil, amsoil trans fluid, 3.5 Kennedy Exhaust, 97 airbox mods, EGT, Boost, & Trans Temp on pillar, Heath bumper mounted FSD. Pulling 28' Sprinter 5th

Good Day!

82 pickup: 4SP manual w/ OD; utterly fantastic mpg; loved that truck (still own it, thinking of parting it out)

95 pickup: 4L80-E, 4.10 gears, added Gear Vendors Aux. OD; bought @ ~ 80K miles, now has almost ¼ million; a couple FSD/PMD's (now got it mounted right); neither engine or tranny ever opened up; runs like the day I bought it - perfectly.

95 Sub: 4L80-E, 3.42 gears; bought it @ ~ 180K miles, now has almost ¼ million; neither engine or tranny ever opened up; runs perfectly.

Blessings!
    82 6.2NA K15 4X4 pickup, 4spd man w/ OD, 335K+ "In Rust We Trust" (parked)
    95 6.5TD 2500 4X4 pickup, Gear Vendors Aux. OD, > ¼ million miles - gone
    95 6.5TD 1500 4X4 3/4T Suburban, Kennedy exhaust, > ¼ million miles
    93 6.5TD 3500 4X4 1T crew cab LB pickup, 230k miles

Ha!!! Look at my sig..........the right side, please.............no, yer other right..............
    jd
    '96 Dodge 3500HD cc 2wd drw............'89 GMC 3500 cc 4wd drw
    5.9 12v #10TST 6sp SBC13-1.375.......6.5TD EFI maxEtorq v2.0 DSG
    DODGE makes it CUMMINS shakes it.....4L80E 205 4.10 Dana60\70HD
    6 in a row makes it go.......................Grandpa's big truck

Well in the 8 years she let me down only 1 time. That was the injection black box, guess it was not her fault.
    So I have no real complaints, I do wish there was a little more power ,but I don't have a lot of $$ to spend on it so maybe that's my fault..
    Great truck to have made it through a hurrican and sat under water for a week or so..
    97 3500 2WD, EX/CAB LB, 6.5 TD, Dually, 93k-2010
    77 Harley Super Glide Confederate Edition
    K&N Air Filter, Goodmark Cowl Induction Hood
    Kennedy FSD Cooler--Turbo Tech Intercooler W/Comp. Flash (WHAT EVER THEY DID? WORKS)
    3" Exhaust w/ Free flow muffler---REAR AUX. AIR BAGS
    http://community.webshots.com/user/jpfjf

My thoughts are that excluding electronics issues the 6.2l/6.5l, along with the 318, are the most reliable and durable light truck engines ever produced (the 5.9l Cummins, Navistar/IHC diesels from 6.9l & up, and IHC V8-304/V8-345/V8-392 were all medium truck engines first.)
    Phil

'90 Jeep Wrangler, 4.2l, AX15, Dana 30 & 35 with 3.07s (for now!) 4" Rough Country lift, 33x10.5x15 BFG KM2s

'91 F350 XLT Lariat crew cab, 2WD SRW, 7.3l IDI, ZF S5-42, 3.55 LSD.

Hey I did get new stripes this summer from Fleetwood!! I match!!
    97 3500 2WD, EX/CAB LB, 6.5 TD, Dually, 93k-2010
    77 Harley Super Glide Confederate Edition
    K&N Air Filter, Goodmark Cowl Induction Hood
    Kennedy FSD Cooler--Turbo Tech Intercooler W/Comp. Flash (WHAT EVER THEY DID? WORKS)
    3" Exhaust w/ Free flow muffler---REAR AUX. AIR BAGS
    http://community.webshots.com/user/jpfjf

Love it. Without a doubt, the best engine swap I have ever done.
    1987 Jeep Grand Wagoneer...new 6.5 in process...diamond block, 18:1's, other goodies...

I just turned 350,000 km last week on a 1000 km trip. Anyone else feel like they know the truck by feel? This truck feels like it's got a lot of life left. She fires right up, runs strong and smooth.
    My buddy Grant, who was a member a couple years ago and told me of the value of TDP, had a 94 3500 dually extracab 5 spd when I had a Dodge cummins with no proper hitch. His truck had the Heath TurboMaster, MaxE Tork and 3.5" exhaust when I borrowed it to haul my 1979 27' Travel Trailer 500 kms up the Coquihalla. That sucker ran like a hotrod!
    A couple years later I sold the low-mile Dodge in favour of my high-mile Chev and I couldn't be happier.
    This is a truck that I could grow old with.....unless I can talk my wife into a crewcab down the road!
    Brett
    2005 GMC Sierra SLT Dually Crew, 4x4, stock
    71,000 kms

Thumbs up

I like Robyn's idea for a thread like this. All too often, the problems people have overshadow the good stories we know are out there. I received the following email message today from a fellow 6.5 owner that I'd like to share. Jim

I was reading a few things on your page about your 6.5TD power project, and I read that you put 200,000 miles on it in seven years. I love my 6.5, it’s a 97 3500 dually, and in 10 years I have put 425,000 miles on mine. I've only replaced glow plugs, filters, one starter, batteries, fuel pump (not the injector pump) and the radiator (took a hit from a rock one day). It still runs like a champ and I'll run it until it hits the ground.

Sincerely,
    Rob from NC
    Rob might send a few photos. If he does, I'll post them...

I wrote this about my truck last September, here in TDP:

Quote Originally Posted by KallyI View Post
    I made a few changes to my truck this year, I completed the intercooler and gauge installation, put a 3" crossover pipe in, a 3" turbo downpipe, and Kennedy's boost controller.
    Wow!!!, what a difference pulling a load. Places where the PCM pulled fuel, The engine temp went up, and Lord knows what my EGT was, plus I lost about 25-35 mph, (belching black smoke), I can now go up, and maintain my speed, or possibly lose 3-5 mph,, with no smoke. Some hills I can even gain speed if I want or need to. I've put about 4,000 miles on in this configuration, and I am very pleased. I haven't seen an EGT temperature over 1000
    I still feel that way about it!
    1997 Chevy K2500 E/C Auto - K & N Filter, 3" exhaust, no cat. Midas Flowmaster muffler, Kennedy ECM, Peninsular Diesel Marine upper intake manifold, 3-gauge 'B' Pillar gauge pod, Autometer Phantom gauges, Boost, EGT, and Tranny temp. Homemade air/air intercooler setup, with puller fan. Phazer Gear timing, Fluidampr harmonic balancer, 250,000 kms.
    2009 25' Springdale 5th wheel trailer
    1978 Z28 4sp Camaro (in middle of restoring it)
    1963 Dodge 2 dr. Hdtp., Model 440 (will be a Max Wedge clone)
    1979 GL1000 (Honda Goldwing)

Maybe we can make this thread STICKY (Hint Hint)

This thread so far is doing just what I thought it might.

So many happy people out there that own 6.5 powered rigs and drive the wheels off of them.

If GM offered them again as an option I'll bet there would be folks standing in line to get one. Me

Robyn
    (1) 1997 Astro
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY

Good Day!

"If GM offered them again as an option I'll bet there would be folks standing in line to get one." In a Sub - yessir. Well, after someone else had put ~ 150K miles on it, so I could afford it.

Blessings!
    (signature in previous post)

Love it so much bought a second 6.5 so now I have 2 C1500 Burb & K1500 truck
    Tim, 98GM K1500 6.5TD(L56/L65), Heath PCM,3.73 gear,4L80 tr,4" exh,Amz air filt&dual oil flts, Heath remote FSD, TDO-7 clone turbo, Heath fan clutch,mandrel crossover, pilar gage BST/EGT/TRN, remote elec fan tran cool,alum trn pan

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by tbogemirep View Post
    Love it so much bought a second 6.5 so now I have 2 C1500 Burb & K1500 truck
    I agree. I like my truck so much that I'm thinking about getting a short wheelbase SUV (Blazer/Yukon/Tahoe) with a 6.5 for my wife. If the 6.5 is such a horrible engine, why are there so many around?
    1998 K1500 Silverado Ext Cab SB 6.5TD L56 4L80E 342 locking rear - 60k miles
    Modifications: Ported and ceramic coated exhaust manifolds, worked GM-8 turbo, L65 upper and lower intake, marine injectors, boost, EGT, and Trans Temp gauges, SSDiesel air intake, Hearthrob/SSDiesel stainless 3in down pipe, 4in exhaust, and 2.25 crossover.
    Planned: Remapped ECU, intercooler, turbomaster, fluidamper, fan/clutch upgrade, upgraded oil cooler and lines, and lift.

Smile

Ya'll are sure being a bad influence on me in my time of making my decision (see thread: http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/t...ad.php?t=28704 ). Thanks Robyn!
    Mark Chapman DP member #653;
    1983 K2500 6.2 Suburban, 4" lift, 35" tires, ATS turbo, Banks exhaust/intake, pyrometer, tachometer;
    1986 K5 6.2 Blazer, 2" lift, 33" tires, Banks intake, pyrometer, tachometer
    1963 wife, one owner, average mileage for the age but in excellent shape, a keeper
    1992 daughter, low mileage, pretty, limited edition, but requires some money to maintain
    1995 son, sports model, very fast & peppy, time will tell on durability and maintenance costs

"Grease is good"

Smile

Ya'll are sure being a bad influence on me in my time of making my unemotional, practical purchase decision (see thread: http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/t...ad.php?t=28704 ). Thanks Robyn!
    Mark Chapman DP member #653;
    1983 K2500 6.2 Suburban, 4" lift, 35" tires, ATS turbo, Banks exhaust/intake, pyrometer, tachometer;
    1986 K5 6.2 Blazer, 2" lift, 33" tires, Banks intake, pyrometer, tachometer
    1963 wife, one owner, average mileage for the age but in excellent shape, a keeper
    1992 daughter, low mileage, pretty, limited edition, but requires some money to maintain
    1995 son, sports model, very fast & peppy, time will tell on durability and maintenance costs

"Grease is good"

I am a bad influence on a lot of folks I am told

HAAAAAAAAAAAAA its fun being an influence

Good to hear the positive things here.
    (1) 1997 Astro
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY