Thread: 6.5 Turbo Diesel

Default 6.5 Turbo Diesel

hey guys, I'm new to this forum. I have a 95 6.5L TD and I'm just curious as to what I should do for mods that will help my old truck run at tip top shape. thanks in advance
    95 Chevy K2500 6.5L TD 5 Spd
    165k Miles
    16" Eagle Alloys with BF Goodrich KO2
    4" Diamond Eye Exhaust

Welcome to TDP

Depending on what you want as far as performance goes thew sky is the limit (Looks at wallet)

Just good maintenance is enough to keep the old girl running good and doing what it is supposed to.

OIL AND FILTER
    AIR FILTERS
    OTHER FLUIDS
    FUEL FILTER
    Possibly replace the fuel lift pump and oil pressure switch.
    (USE DELCO FACTORY STUFF and not parts house cheap stuff)

If starting is getting a tad sketchy then a fresh set of 60G glow plugs and a set of top notch re manufactured injectors will help a lot with overall performance.

Depending on what you want to spend

A free flowing 4 inch exhaust
    Power chip for the computer
    Dual Tstat water crossover
    upgraded fan clutch
    Possibly a fresh radiator if heating is starting to cause issues.
    Better turbo for more power and better EGT control

If you just want to maintain the truck in stock trim then just good service is about all it needs.

Robyn
    (1) 1995 Suburban 2500 4x4
    (1) 1997 Astro
    (1) 2005 Suburban (Papa Smurf)
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY

I've read a lot about a new cold air intake, possibly fuel injectors, a new crossover pipe, and an oil pressure switch. I've thought about putting a new turbo in it, but once again I've looked at my wallet and said nope, not right now. just trying to get suggestions without breaking the bank. My truck runs great as it is right now, I'm just trying to keep it that way. I actually just put a new clutch, slave cylinder, flywheel, and a 4" diamond eye straight pipe exhaust on it. should I put the gauge kit in it, or is that a waste of money?
    95 Chevy K2500 6.5L TD 5 Spd
    165k Miles
    16" Eagle Alloys with BF Goodrich KO2
    4" Diamond Eye Exhaust

Quote Originally Posted by towlsey57 View Post
    ....should I put the gauge kit in it, or is that a waste of money?
    Practical instrumentation is NEVER a waste of money. Monitoring boost and EGT does many things for the health of your powertrain. Establishing a healthy baseline is paramount, with the ability to monitor trends within conditions, offering the valuable option of identifying failures before they happen. It's also an important tool that allows preventative maintenance when ideal, compared to (catastrophic/inconvenient) repairs as necessary.
    If you are planning mods, instrumentation can realize those mods.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

You should look into the Kennedy Diesel lift pump relay kit, it bypasses the oil pressure switch for much better control of the voltage to the lift pump and it has a built in button to trigger the pump to purge air when changing fuel filters..

And when purchasing another lift pump get the one for a 1993 model truck, they all interchange but the 93 is considered best, and only use AC Delco electrical stuff, off brand parts don't work as they should...
    1993 Chevy K3500

owner - Twisted Steel Performance

porting, ceramic & powder coating

like us on Facebook

[/QUOTE]
    And when purchasing another lift pump get the one for a 1993 model truck, they all interchange but the 93 is considered best, and only use AC Delco electrical stuff, off brand parts don't work as they should...[/QUOTE]

THIS IS A BIG 10-4

Summer before last the AC cycle switch on my Burb died (1995 with 200 K plus... Can't see why that should fail)

Stopped at the local NAPA store and picked up a new one...

It failed before I got home (5 miles)... Took it back and they gave a fresh one .. It would not even screw onto the schrader fitting

MADE IN CHINA

Hopped on Ebay and found a HANDFUL of OEM originals in the boxes for cheap.

Tossed one in and it's been working fine for 2 years now with no issues.

DELCO IS THE REAL DEAL.

The lift pump relay kit from JK is a good thing too...
    (1) 1995 Suburban 2500 4x4
    (1) 1997 Astro
    (1) 2005 Suburban (Papa Smurf)
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY