Thread: Oil filter reloacation

Default Oil filter reloacation

Can somebody recommand a good quality oil filter relocation kit? After having issues getting filter off I`m getting tired of this. I did a search here but it did not reveil much on what to use and ther`s a lot on the net.

Still I don`t really feel the need to get the amsoil dualfilter bypass. Im okay doing more freqent oil changes. But relocating filter to frame or front of truck would work fine and most likely use standard oil filter.
    98 6,5TD Suburban 1500 4x4, 3" exhaust

Jan,

If you want a good filter but not the Amsoil you might want to look at Donaldson filters. Might have to find a truck parts supply to find them. Great filters and work very well.
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government."
    -Patrick Henry

A5150nut
    2006 K3500 D/A
    94 6.5 4x4 5spd Sold

I do not have a relocation kit, but have found a sandwich adapter for an oil cooler. Could you do that and put an empty filter with a good sized magnet in it in place of the original?

Quote Originally Posted by a5150nut View Post
    Jan,

If you want a good filter but not the Amsoil you might want to look at Donaldson filters. Might have to find a truck parts supply to find them. Great filters and work very well.
    Filters should be no problem to get my hands on. Its more of a reliable oil filter relocation kit since the front axle is in the way. I need something that can last and not break down cus of cheap ebay quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Nessmuk View Post
    I do not have a relocation kit, but have found a sandwich adapter for an oil cooler. Could you do that and put an empty filter with a good sized magnet in it in place of the original?
    Not quite sure what you mean but I do not like that idea..

Every time I change the oil on either the K1500 or the K2500 I swear I’m going to do a oil filter relocation before the next oil change. After a few days I find more important things that require my attention - until the next time I’m laying there swearing at GM engineers once again…
    '94 GMC 6.5TD K1500 4L80E 2-Door Yukon SLE 221K
    '93 Chevrolet 6.5TD K2500HD NV4500 Std. Cab Longbed 187K
    '85 Toyota 22R RN60 4x4 Std. Cab Shortbed 178K (Currently retired for rebuild)
    Diesel Page Member #2423

Howdy
    I have an amsoil kit. Quality is great. I have removed and reinstalled on two different trucks and engines. Even if you dont think you need the bypass filter, it doesnt hurt anything. I know this kit is expensive, but IMHO it's worth it.
    It also gives you the ability to add and extra 2 quarts of oil by using the bypass filter and a large regular filter.

I also know that JEGS and Summit racing have kits and adapters and other stuff for doing this as it is popular with racing.

Good luck!
    1996 Chvy 3500 CCDWLB 6.5 Heathed, NO vac, marine injctrs, ARB bumper, BIG pipe, 3" lift, bright lights, bypass oil system.
    1986 Chvy 6.2 M1009 blazer RAM AIR, Headers, Custom interior
    2001 Chinook RV, V10 gas
    1974 John Deere 1530 diesel tractor
    1993 John Deere 455 Diesel lawn mower
    1967 GTO, 1989 Honda Transalp
    2009 VW Jetta TDI, flashed and piped, 6speed, fun car!
    1998 6.5 suburban, stock, daughter's
    1993 6.5 3500 CCSWLB GM8, Heathed, big exhaust, gauges, Son's

1984 6.2 ATS turbo 3500, SCDWLB - Son's
    3 kids, 1 wife, 1 dog
    Gunsmith, Tactics Instructor, Fabricator USMC 87-93 Semper Fi!

Quote Originally Posted by trbankii View Post
    Every time I change the oil on either the K1500 or the K2500 I swear I’m going to do a oil filter relocation before the next oil change. After a few days I find more important things that require my attention - until the next time I’m laying there swearing at GM engineers once again…
    Ditto. I've been saying this for nearly 12 years now!!

Casey
    1995 K1500 Tahoe 2 door, 6.5LTD, 4L80E, NP241, 3.42's, 285/75R16 BFG K02's; 1997 506 block; Kennedy OPS harness, gauges, Quick Heat plugs, and TD-Max chip; Dtech FSD on FSD Cooler; vacuum pump deleted, HX35 turbo, Turbo Master, 3.5" Kennedy exhaust, F code intake; dual t/stats, HO water pump, Champion radiator; Racor fuel filter

I agree 100%. I used an Amsoil bypass kit under the hood on my '94 and it was awesome. Install the petcock too so you can grab a sample for testing (~$25) and you'll know when to replace filters, oil, air filter or get rid of it. Oil sample history will help resale a ton too for maintenance records.
    1994 6.5 HO vin "F" X-cab, long box 4x4
    Phazer set installed, 97+ cooling mods with 9-blade fan.Turbomaster, gauges, OPS mods with selenoid and lift pump indicator light 4" turbo back open exhaust, remote dual oil by-pass, Amsoil 15w-40, remote PMD #9, battery mods, 98+ airbox, 3.42s w/ NV 4500 converted to South Bend SM system with damper installed, 147K.

Quote Originally Posted by Dvldog8793 View Post
    Howdy
    I have an amsoil kit. Quality is great. I have removed and reinstalled on two different trucks and engines. Even if you dont think you need the bypass filter, it doesnt hurt anything. I know this kit is expensive, but IMHO it's worth it.
    It also gives you the ability to add and extra 2 quarts of oil by using the bypass filter and a large regular filter.

I also know that JEGS and Summit racing have kits and adapters and other stuff for doing this as it is popular with racing.

Good luck!
    Thanks for feedback, gladly appreciated^^
    Sadly cost and shipment with customs here just kills what it is worth for :/

Quote Originally Posted by arveetek View Post
    Ditto. I've been saying this for nearly 12 years now!!

Casey
    I need to do something then

Quote Originally Posted by 94bluehd View Post
    I agree 100%. I used an Amsoil bypass kit under the hood on my '94 and it was awesome. Install the petcock too so you can grab a sample for testing (~$25) and you'll know when to replace filters, oil, air filter or get rid of it. Oil sample history will help resale a ton too for maintenance records.
    Sample test will cost to much money for me to ship oversea. I usually do a oil and filter change at regular basis. Amsoil seems to have the best kit with quality compared to some of the cheaper ones. But not sure which to choose. I can`t renember size of oil filter.

I'm using one of these for my bypass filter. It uses toilet paper and filters the oil so well that it even filters out the black carbon.
    1990 ¾ ton 4x4 Chevy Suburban
    -Cummins Diesel - 12 valve - factory rebuilt
    -6 speed bullet proof manual transmission - NV5600
    -Gear Vendors Overdrive
    -Upgraded Holset HX-35 turbo
    -NP205 iron transfer case
    -3.73 gears

1982 ½ ton Chevy Suburban
    -6.2L diesel - high nickle crack free 1982 block
    -Stans headers
    -Ported heads
    -Timing gear
    -4 speed automatic
    -3.08 gears
    -30 mpg on freeway

Edahall

Is that a Franz filter?

My dad ran one on his truck for years.
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government."
    -Patrick Henry

A5150nut
    2006 K3500 D/A
    94 6.5 4x4 5spd Sold

Quote Originally Posted by a5150nut View Post
    Edahall

Is that a Franz filter?

My dad ran one on his truck for years.
    No, it's similar to the Franz but better constructed. It's a Model M-30 air compressor filter converted into an oil filter. It is much less likely to leak than the Franz filter and is exactly the right size for putting the entire roll of Scott's 1000 toilet paper.

Here's a link to this filter. Filters down to .01 micron.

https://www.amazon.com/Motor-Guard-M.../dp/B000GI0H2M
    Last edited by Edahall; 08-16-2017 at 20:51.
    1990 ¾ ton 4x4 Chevy Suburban
    -Cummins Diesel - 12 valve - factory rebuilt
    -6 speed bullet proof manual transmission - NV5600
    -Gear Vendors Overdrive
    -Upgraded Holset HX-35 turbo
    -NP205 iron transfer case
    -3.73 gears

1982 ½ ton Chevy Suburban
    -6.2L diesel - high nickle crack free 1982 block
    -Stans headers
    -Ported heads
    -Timing gear
    -4 speed automatic
    -3.08 gears
    -30 mpg on freeway

Quote Originally Posted by Edahall View Post
    No, it's similar to the Franz but better constructed. It's a Model M-30 air compressor filter converted into an oil filter. It is much less likely to leak than the Franz filter and is exactly the right size for putting the entire roll of Scott's 1000 toilet paper.

Here's a link to this filter. Filters down to .01 micron.

https://www.amazon.com/Motor-Guard-M.../dp/B000GI0H2M

What don't you like about the Frantz?

How do you meter how much oil goes through the bypass?
    1987 Jeep Grand Wagoneer...new 6.5 in process...diamond block, 18:1's, other goodies...

Quote Originally Posted by JeepSJ View Post
    What don't you like about the Frantz?

How do you meter how much oil goes through the bypass?
    I had a hard time keeping the Franz filter leak free. It had a tendency to leak around the bottom rubber gasket.

Oil flow is controlled by an orifice.

Quote Originally Posted by Edahall View Post
    I had a hard time keeping the Franz filter leak free. It had a tendency to leak around the bottom rubber gasket.

Oil flow is controlled by an orifice.

Is the orifice part of the filter already or did you add something to it? I'm wanting to do a bypass filter and that looks like a great option, especially since it can just take a full roll of TP. So any other details you have on the install?
    1987 Jeep Grand Wagoneer...new 6.5 in process...diamond block, 18:1's, other goodies...