Thread: 03 idle smoke

Question 03 idle smoke

Started about year & 1/2 ago at 175 k.
    I put in Standyne injector cleaner in tank and smoke went away for 5k. After a few K more smoke I tried Standyne again. No help.
    Filled new fuel filter with Seafoam injector cleaner, let idle 3 mintues, shout down for 15, then drove like I stoled it for 30 miles. Per Seafoam instruction. No help.
    Added 8 onces of Standyne to tank of 5 gal. Then 8 onces to last 2 gal. Ran till had .45 gals left. NO HELP.
    Smoke did not look never blue in beginning but now does look blueish. After idling at light for 30 seconds it smokes bad at first leaving light.

Injector or is there other things?

PS truck bone stock, never uses oil. Runs fine.

Definitely injectors. Std VCO injectors are a crap shoot in my opinion. We've been using the SAC type nozzles with complete success as they never do this blue/white smoke deal.
    Kennedy Diesel-owner
    More than just a salesman-I use and test the products that I sell on a daily basis!
    Superflow Lie Detector in house
    2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT 11.77@ 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
    2005 Chev K3500SRW D/A CC Long LT(SOLD)
    2007 Chev K2500 Classic EC Short LT (Sold)
    2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Happy Birthday to me! Built 1 working day after my birthday and delivered 7 days later.
    2016 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC short LTZ

Custom tuning in house using EFI Live tuning software!

Arrow

If you have a reader, it would be interesting to look at the fuel-rate balance for the 8 injectors. Smoke is due to leakage... A bad leak can damage pistons. I'd not wait too long to get a fresh set of injectors.

If you're not equipped to do this yourself, investigate the mechanics in your area -looking for someone with considerable experience/success with the LB7.

If money was not a problem, refreshing the head gaskets and water pump at the same time as the injectors would/could be a good move if the work came with a 12 month unlimited mileage warranty.

A lotta 'ifs".

I'd listen to John about the injector type - to use during a replacement.
    Last edited by More Power; 08-20-2017 at 13:24.

Thanks for info. Will have injectors done soon(3k OR hunting trip.). Will get balance rate before inj.
    Did a little checking and couldn't find SAC injectors for stock they seem to be 45% min. Like to be stock if I can. I would only do chip for economy.

Head gasket? I'll have compression check for piston info. Replace water pump myself 30K ago. I could do all the work but at 69 I'm not interested in standing on my head that long. Lol.

Truck is worth 15K max so 5K of work is about it. Not sure I want a newer truck because I got all the dings in this one.

Oife is good.

In my experience when these injectors they will run fine, idle smooth, no evidence of any issues other than this nozzle weep when warm.

As for cost justification I think the value of the truck may be low, but lower in it's present state and fixed right it should last a long, long time.
    Last edited by Kennedy; 08-21-2017 at 09:03.
    Kennedy Diesel-owner
    More than just a salesman-I use and test the products that I sell on a daily basis!
    2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT 11.77@ 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
    2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Happy Birthday to me! Built 1 working day after my birthday and delivered 7 days later.

No stock SAC style ? Will your 45% run great stock (no chip)?

Quote Originally Posted by rickstrk View Post
    No stock SAC style ? Will your 45% run great stock (no chip)?

Stock or near stock SAC would be my first choice were they available. I have quite a few guys running the SAC 45's with stock tuning. Many opt for a custom tune though as a little sprucing up of the timing goes a long way on any LB7 or any Dmax for that matter.
    Kennedy Diesel-owner

just a little update. Injector cleaner don't quickly clean injectors. After a Seafoam full filter then very heavy load of Standyne cleaner in 1/4 tank. Had to run more than a tank before it cleaded up.
    May still need injectors in future but don't need to get in big hurry.

Will run injector cleaner every 3 or 4 tanks and save 5 grand for later date.

2 years a go it cost me $350+shipping restocking because had to return injectors. Thought it was making oil.
    Injector cleaner ismy friend.

Thanks for advice.

Life is good.

Default Making oil. Not!

When checking oil you MUST pull dip stick wipe clean then reinsert & check. Because it a sealed system (vacumn ) and will read over full.

PS got 5000 miles after running lots of injector cleaner. Don't get in hurry to put in new injectors.

Started about year & 1/2 ago at 175 k.
    I put in Standyne injector cleaner in tank and smoke went away for 5k. After a few K more smoke I tried Standyne again. No help.
    Filled new fuel filter with Seafoam injector cleaner, let idle 3 mintues, shout down for 15, then drove like I stoled it for 30 miles. Per Seafoam instruction. No help.
    Added 8 onces of Standyne to tank of 5 gal. Then 8 onces to last 2 gal. Ran till had .45 gals left. NO HELP.
    Smoke did not look never blue in beginning but now does look blueish. After idling at light for 30 seconds it smokes bad at first leaving light.

Injector or is there other things?

PS truck bone stock, never uses oil. Runs fine.
    Finely cleared up . Have 190k+ on truck now. Will try same next time it starts smoking.

Cleaner/lube in EVERY load of fuel. Good for all the expensive bits in the fuel system. Choose your poison and use it religiously.

Finely cleared up . Have 190k+ on truck now. Will try same next time it starts smoking.

I've seen some of these injectors go 200k BUT most of these were the early ones built several years ago. The later ones seem to have about 40k average life. Occasionally we see a miracle cure with heavy doses of injector cleaner, but I wouldn't count on it happening again.

Treat your injectors like you would your teeth. Brush (add conditioner) every day rather than waiting months or years and then having dentist clean them. Daily maintenance/prevention pays...
    Kennedy Diesel-owner