Thread: 02 Dmax hard starting hot or cold ?

Default 02 Dmax hard starting hot or cold ?

Hello all,

I have a 2002 Chevy with a Duramax. I'm have a problem with the truck starting it will not start without a little eather or gas weather the motor is hot or cold. The WTS light seems to cycle normally for the condition of the motor, cold it stays on for 5-6 seconds, and warm the light will just flash on and off once. After the motor is running the truck operates fine, never stalling or low on power. The fuel is good and clean. I just changed the fuel filter with the problem still persisting. I think that the fuel filter houseing or primer bulb is losing prime but I don't know because I reprime the filter and it still will not start. Also if the truck is running and you turn it off and try it start it right back up it won't start hot or cold. Thanks in advance for any advice that you can give.

Thanks Dan

tough call but i can say the use of ether or gas to start it can only do MUCH more bad then good and could also cause bodily harm if things go bad wrong. Get it fixed before you make things worse. Sound like a pump problem. You really need to monitor rail pressure when this is going on.

A farmer friend of mine with an 02, with under 50,000 miles, just blew it sky high with the help of either. Blew a piston out the side of the block, removing the inner fender well on it's way. I've tried for years to tell him it's not your fathers diesel.
    02 Charcoal CC SB Dmax/Allison LCT
    She's my baby

Where's Monrovia?????????? I think I know that guy!!!!!!!!! lol.

Talking

You need to post some pictures of that AWESOME CARNAGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    1998 Chevy k-2500 454 147,000 miles and climbing!

1993 Pontiac G/A Big Block 3.3 Liter 140,000 miles and still going too!

Default Air in fuel supply system

PM me if you need expert help diagnosing the problem. Further send an email and I will forward a link for more info.

Dale
    dale dmaxwrenchkit com email

add the symbols

Monrovia is a small small town about 25 miles southwest of Indy. Listen, this fellow and I both bought our trucks about a month apart he had owned several deisels before and I had not, other than my 34 horse Kabota. He starts off telling me about putting alcohol in the tank when it gets cold and all this stuff. Since we both work at Allison my first move was contacting an LCT engineer buddy of mine and learning all I could from him, (he was the go between with this forum and Allison techs in the early days, can't remember the log in name he went by, but he didn't want anybody to blow his cover). He told me about this site and I have been a member ever since. Anyway I can remember going in to work and telling my buddy that blew his up that many of the things he'd done with his older deisels didn't sound koser with the Duramax, to no avail. Story goes his truck wouldn't start in below zero temps so he got her towed home and put her in his heated barn. The next day he was trying to start it still no luck so he called his son over and they put a new fuel filter on and he says, "it was trying so hard to start and was so close that I shot a dose of either to and the next thing I new I about lost my left leg". I asked if he got a good prime with the bulb and had fuel coming out of the bleed screw, he said he never used that just filled the filter with fuel and it always started. Anyway it was a mess and I kinda felt bad for him, but I had told him so many things I had read on here and learned that he should have known better. He got her rebuilt, by somebody who "knew alot about Cummins" and called and told me he didn't need the truck anymore and if I knew anybody looking to give them his number. Wouldn't do that to anyone I knew or didn't know and I can say that cause he obviously doesn't read this board.
    02 Charcoal CC SB Dmax/Allison LCT
    She's my baby

I'm seriously straight south of you about 1.5 hours!

OK, Today I bypassed my filter assembelly, I made a gravity feed straight into the outlet hose of the filter housing. Truck did start without gas or either help but I had to crank it over for a few minutes for it to start even after system was reprimed from opening to attach my hose setup. So does anyone have any ideas, I'm thinking that the injector pump is starting to fall and not making enough suction or pressure to start it's self. Would glow plug failure effect starting of a hot engine? My truck has 153,000 on it, I bought it with 70,000 when it was 2 years old and may of had some chips put on it in that time. But since I've had it no chips, programming, or anything but #2 diesel with power service or lucas cleaner every few tanks.

PLEASE HELP!!!!

THanks Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Redhanded View Post
    OK, Today I bypassed my filter assembelly, I made a gravity feed straight into the outlet hose of the filter housing. Truck did start without gas or either help but I had to crank it over for a few minutes for it to start even after system was reprimed from opening to attach my hose setup. So does anyone have any ideas, I'm thinking that the injector pump is starting to fall and not making enough suction or pressure to start it's self...
    Could be the pump however hard starting is also a symptom of injector failure (high return rates) that could qualify for the 200Kmi/7 year Injector special policy ... http://www.thedieselpage.com/duramax...orwarranty.htm

(If you take it to the dealer I wouldn't tell them you bypassed the fuel filter)

Bill
    03 2500HD D/A CC/SB/4WD,OilGuard, MegaFilter,LiftPump/PreFilter, Bilsteins,RetraxRollTop,J&J Boards,Coolant Filter,AlliDeepPan,FastIdle,AllHeadLightsOn,
    98 K3500 6.5,SOLD

Monday I had an appointment at the dealership for my truck tuesday afternoon the had diagnossed the problem as being the injectors. Today they called and said it is ready. So I will pick it up in the mourning. Should I expect any kind of a bill relating to the warranty work, that is the only thing that I told them to fix?

Arrow

No fees. No deductible. No charge.

Some dealers have tried to charge a deductible, or collateral work (fluids, or anything they thought they should change/fix), but you are liable for no charge, according the TSB and GM policy. The dealer warranty rep can submit a claim to GM for any overages, if they were necessary to complete the job in accordance with the warranty campaign. Don't let them tell you otherwise. Most dealers play nice. Some don't.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Thanks for the heads up Mavrick.

Thanks for the info everyone,

I got my truck back today runs great, no charge at all from the dealer Bob Bell Chevy I saw the bill for the repairs $2700.00 Goes to show you that a company can still stand behind there product.