Thread: Convert DS4 to DB2 pump

Default Convert DS4 to DB2 pump

I am cosidering the option of converting my 97 K1500 from a ds4 to a mechanical db2 pump. The electronics have given me alot of trouble and I am getting tired of it. Anyway, I was wondering who has done it, and if there are any "write ups" outlining the necessary componets and wiring. I have the manuals and I could figure the whole thing out if I had too, but if someone has already done it and has the information it could save alot of time. Thanks for your input.
    Brent

Bobbie Martin has posted about the conversion on this board. He is selling an instruction manual on e-bay.
    2001 Excursion 2WD V10 formerly owned 99 K2500 6.5TD Sub 4.10 8600 GVWR,Spearco Intercooler, JK Isspro guages,Hayden SD fan clutch, Racor 645 30 mic, clean cat, JK FSD cooler,JK Boost Ctrl,JK HL relay, Optimas, rblt trany & transfer case, B&M Tranny cooler w/fan,200k miles, Prodigy, 05 Jayco Eagle 308 FBS.

Search this forum. It's been discusses a lot. Also, go to this link and look half way down the page.
    The Constitution needs to be re-read, not re-written!

If you can't handle Dr. Seuss, how will you handle real life?

Current oil burners: MB GLK250 BlueTEC, John Deere X758
    New ride: MB GLS450 - most stately
    Gone but not forgotten: '87 F350 7.3, '93 C2500 6.5, '95 K2500 6.5, '06 K2500HD 6.6, '90 MB 350SDL, Kubota 7510

16gaSxS is offline Moderator, Have Shotgun & dogs will travel

Quote Originally Posted by BR455
    I am cosidering the option of converting my 97 K1500 from a ds4 to a mechanical db2 pump. The electronics have given me alot of trouble and I am getting tired of it. Anyway, I was wondering who has done it, and if there are any "write ups" outlining the necessary componets and wiring. I have the manuals and I could figure the whole thing out if I had too, but if someone has already done it and has the information it could save alot of time. Thanks for your input.
    Brent
    Hi Brent welcome to The Diesel Page!!

Since you are a newbie why not tell us about your troubles and see if we can help you with the DS-4 first before you go through all the hassel and head aches of converting to an DB-2. DB-2 have shorter usefull life I have been told. I have over 175,00 miles on my current DS-4 pump. Is that good life? I think so. Now I'm not saying there are not some problems,but many people have tried different fixes with mixed results. Tell us your trucks story!
    95, 6.5, C-2500 extended cab shortbox, Auto transmixer 3.42 diff, Jardine exhaust system
    FSD Cooler replaced w/ Heath PMD Isolator
    Heath Turbo-Master Boost Controller, Max E Tork chip '97 cooling upgrades, Kennedy Fan clutch,
    Glow Plug over ride,DeeZee 38.5 gallon Aux fuel Tank 225K miles and rolling

1994, 6.5 Blazer, 3:42 diff, 4 inch exhaust, Heath PMD Isolator, Heath Turbo-Master Boost Controller Max E Tork, Heath SB intake filter system.
    221K miles and rolling.
    Diesel Page member #81

16ga,

I couldn't agree with you more. While the electronic pumps have given trouble, there's been a lot of good ones out there, and they have been improved over the years.

I like the quick cold starts, electronically controlled idle speed, and the fuel economy provided by the DS-4, and would NEVER care to swap backwards to the DB-2.

The DB-2 pumps have not been without problems, either. One irritation I have with them is the poor durability of the advance piston and bore. Proper long-term operation of those parts is crucial to good fuel economy and power.

Thanks for the input guys. I did an earlier post on po251 and po335. I have checked everything, and had others check it also. Some people say it needs a pump, others a pcm, others say a wiring problem. I have checked everything I can on the wiring and still have problems. I am sick of it. The truck will start running terrible, missing and acting like a clogged filter on a mechnanical pump then I clear the codes and the truck runs fine. Lots of weird stuff that does not make sense.
    Thanks
    Brent

Post Br455;

BR455;

Fist please go to the user CP and fill out your signature with your truck year and info see mine for an example. Please also tell us about how many miles are on your beast.

First thing you should do is CHANGE your fuel filter if you had not. The cost from $15-40 depending where you get them an all seem to be made by Stanadyne so quailty is the same. Second go over all your electricals AGAIN grounds included clean them and maybe even get some electrical cleaner spray and take all the plugs apart and spray them.

Here is a link to a trouble shooting area: http://www.thedieselpage.com/members/tt99-9.htm

This is a "members only area". If you haven't spend $20 and join, the resources have saved me thousands over the last 10 years. Between the subscription and ad's it keeps this great place going for us for the last 10 years.

Now if your stalling keeps up it could be the ill fated famous PMD/FSD problem.
    Start taking liter of bottle water with you. This is a black square driver mounted on the iNjection pump. If it stalls again and if it is the PMD/FSD it will when it won't restart pour water on the PMD/FSD or put snow or ice on it. If it starts up it's very good chance that is your problem. If thats the deal do a search for PMD/FSD and you will get a weeks worth of reading.

Hope this helps.
    95, 6.5, C-2500 extended cab shortbox, Auto transmixer 3.42 diff, Jardine exhaust system
    Heath Turbo-Master Boost Controller, Max E Tork chip '97 cooling upgrades, Kennedy Fan clutch,

1994, 6.5 Blazer, 3:42 diff, 4 inch exhaust, Heath PMD Isolator, Heath Turbo-Master Boost Controller Max E Tork, Heath SB intake filter system.
    221K miles and rolling.
    Diesel Page member #81

Your truck being 4WD with OBD II makes the swap a bit more complicated, but it is possible. If its an automatic, its a bigger challenge, manuals are pretty easy. As for the problems with a DB2, yes they can break. However, I don't think you will find anyone that has even a basic knowledge of the two pumps to tell you the DS4 is more or even as reliable as a DB2. One thing, when the DS4 fails (usually without warning) the truck usually won't run. When a DB2 fails, it usually will run, just maybe not perfectly. There is no reason a DB2 equipped 6.5 cannot start, idle or produce the fuel economy of a DS4 equipped engine.

I'm not saying a DB2 conversion is the solution to your problems, but it may be worth considering. The DB2 lets you eliminate the APP, vacuum pump and related wastegate plumbing as well for even more reliability. The are plenty of products on the market to "fix" the DS4. I don't think they would be selling in the numbers they do if it were the paragon of reliability some would have you believe. I've driven both for about a hundred thousand miles each. I much prefer the DB2. Others like the DS4.

One more thing, I'm certainly not against technology, just unreliable technology. If I thought the DS4 was the best way to go, I would still have one. Our new car (we still have the Sub) is a VW Jetta Diesel with Pumpe D
    Bobbie Martin
    1995 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 6.5 TD 2WD- DB2 mechanical fuel injection
    GEP Optimizer 6.53 Detroit Diesel Power
    6.53L, GEP Block & Heads, .020 over, ARP studs, DB2 Inj. pump, GM8 Turbo w/TurboMaster
    K47 Airbox with K&N filter, 3" mandrel bent exhaust, 2ΒΌ" Crossover, Mann ProVent
    HO Water Pump, Hayden "Truck Fan" Clutch, 21" 9 blade Duramax Fan

No PMD, APP, CDR, optical sensor or vacuum pump!
    Author of The DB2 Conversion Guide
    Click Here to Email Me

[QUOTE=Bobbie Martin]

One more thing, I'm certainly not against technology, just unreliable technology. If I thought the DS4 was the best way to go, I would still have one. Our new car (we still have the Sub) is a VW Jetta Diesel with Pumpe D
    Phil

'90 Jeep Wrangler, 4.2l, AX15, Dana 30 & 35 with 3.07s (for now!) 4" Rough Country lift, 33x10.5x15 BFG KM2s

'91 F350 XLT Lariat crew cab, 2WD SRW, 7.3l IDI, ZF S5-42, 3.55 LSD.

I would just like to let everyone know how helpfull Bobbie has been in answering my questions and responding to my PM messages. I really appreciated it.
    Thanks
    Brent
    97 K1500 Automatic with Transgo upgrades. Intercooler, BD computer, K&N, Gear Drive, FSD cooler, 3.5 exhaust, gauges, the normal stuff. Is now being converted to a Marine DB2 mechanical pump with all the relevent changes.

Quote Originally Posted by BR455
    I would just like to let everyone know how helpfull Bobbie has been in answering my questions and responding to my PM messages. I really appreciated it.
    Thanks
    Brent

Bobbie is just another own of the great folks that make The Page work so well.

221K miles and rolling.
    Diesel Page member #81