Thread: cummins owner maybe switching....

Hey guys. I am a huge diesel freak, and I'll admit I have been over looking the duramax. I have tried the ford, and now own a cummins, and I have had HUGE amounts of problems with the dodge. I'm thinking it might be time for it to go. I test drove the new LBZ in a chevy the other day and liked it. I haven't decieded if new is the way to go, or find a good used one.

I am just looking for advice, maybe some pointers of what to look for, and what to avoid. which is better for all around use. Performance, towing TROUBLE FREE!

I'm noticing all 3 have likes an dislikes, and things to stay away from. I've learned a lot about the dodge and ford, so I guess it's time to start learning about the d-max. Thanks for the help.
    04 2500 cummins<br />65 mustang

Thumbs up

I have towed with them all, Ford ,Chevy & Dodge. I had a Dodge cummins and I loved the cummins.
    I thought it was the best pulling truck on the planet. Then I traded it in for a Dmax/Allison Crew cab dually. I couldn't believe how much better the D/A pulls and runs whether empty or towing, and not to mention stops better too!"great brakes" And then while getting the same or better fuel milage than I was getting from the 2500 Dodge Quad cab. I can honestly say I was surprised. Our GMC D/A has been a much better truck and only very minor problems like (a blown fuse). If I buy another truck it will be a Dmax Allison also. And the new GMC/Chevy trucks are more refined than my 2002 year GMC. And they have more to offer. Some of our freinds that run the horse/rodeo circuit with us, often times travel together to the events with our trucks and trailers. Some of them drove Fords and Dodges, and after we pulled some hills together they couldn't keep up with the D/A's. All but one of those guy's have traded off thier trucks and bought Chevy or GMC D/A's. The last guy is holding out until he can afford to trade in his new Ford P/S for a D/A. And they are happy with their new D/A trucks. Only one guy complained, and that was because he missed his King Ranch interior that his Ford had. He is really pleased with the rest of the truck.
    Good luck in whatever you buy. I will say there is one thing all of the new trucks have in common, and that is,
    THEY ALL COST TOO MUCH $ MONEY $
    But like they say if you want to play you got to pay!

Arrow

Get to know the local dealers... Talk to the service managers, ask to talk to their techs.

An upbeat service manager who is proud of his dealership and service techs is a trait to look for. Sometimes the difference between being happy with a truck (or not) boils down to the competence of the dealership - no matter the brand.

However, the 360 HP Dmax & Allison 6-speed rock...

Jim

Claven Guest

Arrow

If your thinking of buying used I've read quite a few posts where people say they prefer the LB7 over the lly, I believe you can get more horsepower easier out of them.

Thanks guys. I looked at the local GMC and Chevy dealer yesterday afternoon, with little luck. Found 1 used, and 1 new. They wanted to much for both.

Jim, That is a good point about the dealers. It makes it tough when you have a bad service department. By the way how are things in the vally? I grew up in Stevi, and stiull have family and freinds there.

The LB7 is newer than the LLY correct?
    04 2500 cummins<br />65 mustang

Claven Guest

no, lly is newer, lb7 is first generation up to 04.5 I believe

Be sure if you buy used that the miles aren't too high. You want to be able to drive it for a couple of years under warranty. The first question I would ask is the injectors original? Also ask if they are aware of this duramax engine seeming to be having a considerable amount of injector failure. I have an 03 LB7, 63000 miles all eight have been replaced, but if it was out of warranty it would cost about $4000 canadian for eight, plus labour. The ones I had put in are apparently updated. Other than that it has given me no trouble and if they can correct this problem I would think it is the best diesel out there for a pickup and the allison is awesome!