Thread: Oil Dripping from Intercooler?

mcmonroe Guest

I noticed several drops of oil/grease on the floor up under the very front end of my truck when parked.

I got up under the (2004.5 LLY D/A) truck and noticed that it seems to be dripping from the rubber tube that goes onto the alumium intercooler.

As best I can tell it seems to be coming from that joint where the rubber intake hose connects to the lower right aluminum intercooler connection.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? I cant stand a truck that makes a mess on my floor especially when its less than a year old.

Mark

On my 98 6.5, My dealer was ready to tear down the engine because of an oil leak. I took a look at it and showed them the clamp on my Spherco IC (from J. Kennedy) was loose and probably needed tightening. That solve the problem. Oil gets into the intake on 6.5 engines because of the oil breather (or something like that) and I imagine that some oil also gets into the DM. Because the low point causes pooling any plumbing would leak if their is not a tight fit. Check your fittings and see if this won,t help. On the Spherco their was a drain plug that I used about once a month to get rid of the excess oil,(usually about a tablespoon).
    02 Sierra, 2500 HD SLT<br />Edge with Allison

madmatt Guest

check this bulletin out.....

Document ID# 1561746
    2004 Chevrolet Chevy K Silverado - 4WD

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Turbo Air Charge Cooler Hoses Oil Seepage , or Blows Off on Acceleration - kw black smoke boost noise turbocharger clamp leak oil LLY 6.6 whistle P0299 low intake surge no power #PIP3068B - (Nov 1, 2004)
    Turbo Air Charge Cooler Hoses Oil Seepage, or Blows Off on Acceleration.

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom described in the PI.

Condition/Concern:
    Oil seepage from turbo air charge cooler hoses or hose blowing off during acceleration. Possible DTC P0299.

Due to the closed PCV system on the 6.6 LLY engine, it is normal to have oil residue in the air charge cooler hoses and pipes.
    The oil will migrate to the lower areas of the air charge cooler system and may cause customer concerns of oil seepage.
    This may also cause the air charge cooler hoses to blow off when turbo boost is high.
    Recommendation/Instructions:
    Do a visual inspection of air charge cooler connections and hoses.
    Replace air charge cooler hoses, pipes, or clamps if damaged.
    Properly clean all oil from air charge cooler pipes and hoses.
    Air charge cooler hoses and pipes are marked for proper installation. The hoses are marked with ENG, DUCT, or CAC (charge air cooler) the hoses and pipes must installed correctly. The engine side is marked ENG, the duct side (the aluminum pipe) is marked DUCT, and the charge air cooler side is marked CAC.
    Apply a very thin coat of sealer part number 97720043 to the air charge cooler hose connections.
    Install hose and properly torque air charge cooler hose clamps to 8 Nm (70 lb in).

mcmonroe Guest

This list is great. Thanks for the details. I really appreciate the feedback.

Mark Monroe
    Harrisburg NC
    2004.5 LLY D/A CC

Arrow

The LB7 crankcase gases were vented to atmosphere, where the LLY crankcase vent system routs gases back in the intake system. Oil vapors are a component of the crankcase gases, which can condense in the intake system and intercooler. This is discussed in the LLY article.

Thanks for the info madmatt. [img]smile.gif[/img]

MP

Jim Brzozowski Guest

Well, JK, seems like you better get started working on a mist extractor to route the vapor through to separate the oil droplets from the vapor and let it drop into a storage are at the bottom of the canister so the LLY guys don't muck up their intercoolers. I'll take a 1% royalty on the sales for the idea. Been designing the large ones for the oil and gas industry for years.

madmatt Guest

Angry

remove it??? come on, haven't you heard of water injection? why not oil injection? I've run a few rigs w/ coolers full of oil and they had all kind of extra power and flames commin' out the stacks.......untill the engine ran off and threw a rod or two.