Thread: Ripped off???

Kennedy Guest

Kinda similar looking images don't you think?

http://www.kennedydiesel.com/detail.cfm?ID=182

http://www.oilguard.com/Merchant4/me...Code=racor+oem

For the record, I provided the filter, and Mdrag cut it and did the pictures...

madmatt Guest

Hey, those two pics are identical! Can you say copyright infringement!!!!!

You bet!

Those are the same pic. They didn't edit the image in any way, or even change the file name! Properties are identical in every way, except for the location. File name, file size, image size, resolution, bit depth....all the same.

Call the cops! You got robbed!

Thumbs down

Ha John, from what I have viewed over the years
    you put the innovation, time and effort into your presentation and promotions.
    Someone trying to get a free ride off your momentum is not on. Go get em !!!
    Rod.
    94-GMC-CK, 2500HD,Sierra-4x4 EC,8\'Tub. Removable Nylex Canopy.<br />L65 with 4L80/OD, GT5;4:10 Axels.<br />Conversion LH to RH drive 2000.

Kennedy Guest

Word gets around quickly. I didn't even have to notify them...

The word is, someone (3rd party) fwd them the picture. Sounds like an honest mistake. They will be obtaining their own images in the future.

[ 02-24-2005, 08:53 AM: Message edited by: kennedy ]

Arrow

John, I suspect you'll be hearing from Oilguard... There is an explanation.

In general, there are a number of misconceptions about copyrights and the use of someone else's photos/text. Here are the facts:

1- When the pen leaves the paper or your fingers leave the keyboard, that text is automatically copyrighted.

2- An image/photo is copyrighted the instant the shutter is released.

3- Even without a copyright statement on the image or document, that image or document is still copyrighted. An image or document can only be in the "public domain" if there is a statement to that effect on the image or document.

There are two types of copyrights. A- An automatic copyright as was stated above. B- A registered copyright.

The only significant difference between the two is that you can sue for punitive damages if the copyright is registered. Without registration, you can only sue for direct monetary loss or money made by others with your copyrighted materials.

Every image and every document anywhere on the net is copyrighted, whether there is a copyright statement or not. US government images & docs are generally free use, but it is plagiarism to use anyone's work without recognition or first obtaining a copyright release.

The copyright laws allow members of the media to include excerpts in a "review" of a copyrighted work, in so far as those excerpts would not negatively affect the value of those works (i.e. give away the ending of a novel, or give away the meat of a technical report).

"Accredited" educational institutions can generally use copyrighted materials. However, ethics dictate that the school or institution first contact the author/photographer. I have given free use to accredited educational institutions, when they request such use on school stationery. An Internet bulletin board is not an accredited educational institution, no matter how anyone might rationalize its educational value.

MP

[ 02-24-2005, 08:37 AM: Message edited by: More Power ]

mdrag Guest

Cool

Darn!!! I missed it...my 15 minutes of fame ...

Tell their people to contact my peolpe and we'll set up a conference call to work this out