Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Injector Replacement

Are you suggesting a secret place to air our dirty laundry ??
    Yep.... clean laundry too.

MACKIN, mid 2's is likely if your a good customer

I can speek first hand about this subject bacause a majority of the trucks we service are bone stock. I have seen numerous failures of injectors, not an alarming number but have seen them, There is a chevy dealer next to us and I frequently speak to thier diesel guy (he is good) he sees plenty also. I am not an expert on performance mods so I dont know for sure, but I havent seen any first hand failures that can be attributed to power adders. Most of the failures I am aware off are leaks, both through the body and the pintle. The jury is out on whether boxes contribute to failure as far as I am concerned...

Back to MP reply, I agree it would be interesting to tell, but I dont know how accuratly you could tell/ contribute the failure to the performance mod.

JK and I have discussed injectors on many occasions and have agreed that 'reman' injectors may suffer some quality issues unless they have replaced all mechanical parts, minute wear can effect flow rates and even new injectors have a large varience in flow rates...It would also be interestin to know the warr on an aftermarket injector..

If the resale will dump at 100k, I am interested in anothe truck
    2003 GMC Sierra 2500 HD CC Shorty
    Dyno Proven - 800 rwhp on fuel only.
    Trans to hold it and a big ol S400 turbo feeding it.

Arrow

First, let me say that I believe that most types of failures, whether they be fuel system related or drivetrain related, are more likely to occur on modified trucks. Is this coincidence? Is there a correlation? We may never know with certainty unless we see the data - unless people with problem trucks say whether their trucks are (or have been) modified.

Second, everyone can post here on this BB without anyone knowing who you are unless you used your real name in your forum handle, or you posted personally identifiable information in a posted message.

I think it's a fair question to ask anyone who reports an injector (or any other component) failure whether they modified their truck.

MP

Originally posted by More Power:
    First, let me say that I believe that most types of failures, whether they be fuel system related or drivetrain related, are more likely to occur on modified trucks. Is this coincidence? Is there a correlation? We may never know with certainty unless we see the data - unless people with problem trucks say whether their trucks are (or have been) modified.

Second, everyone can post here on this BB without anyone knowing who you are unless you used your real name in your forum handle, or you posted personally identifiable information in a posted message.

I think it's a fair question to ask anyone who reports an injector (or any other component) failure whether they modified their truck.

MP
    if they will tell...... I hope they do. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Kennedy Guest

While there is some potential for increased risk with pressure type boxes, I think thatthere is little/no connection with pulse type boxes.

I have 45k on mine, and haven't necessarily been easy on it. I have almost NEVER operated without a box of some type installed, and haven't had injector problems. I DO run an emulsifying additive in every tank, and have had auxillary filtration on my fuel system for the past 15k. Many of the people that I have talked to with injector problems are NOT running boxes, and many of those who are, continue to do so and once "out of the woods" (seems that there is a lot of recurrence until all are changed) they seem to be trouble free. I have a customer in NC that had repeated injector failures, and now (knock on wood) since installing my filter hasn't had any grief.

It has also been my undocumented observation that ther is a greater tendency for injector related issues to be associated with 2001 models.

45k on mine and my engine oil is dramatically cleaner at 7k sampling than 99% of the fuel after the OE Racor filter!

Maverick Guest

If the resale will dump at 100k, I am interested in anothe truck
    I can't even give my truck away. Nobody's interested. At 122,000 miles, it is relativly low miles for diesel. What to do.

More Power,

I agree any modifications to power output could effect component durability. And yes it's almost impossible to see the whole picture.

Unfortunately GM had the head redesign in it's plans not long after or even during the introduction of this engine. Kinda makes you wonder if they knew there would be issues early on but it was too late to do anything about it at the time.

As the techs who see these trucks everyday are saying, it is not a rare occurrance for injectors to go bad. There is also talk about a second generation injector with harder internals. Now the 04 is finally getting the new heads to allow easier service.

No doubt in my mind GM is well aware and has been for a long time that there are fuel/injector problems. My honest opinion is the higher pressures and dirty fuels are the culprit.

All I want is GM to take the load off my mind and tell me it won't cost me anything for the projected 200,000 mile life.

Now here's the kicker....

Diesel pickups are not any more cost effective than a comparably powered gas truck. Payback typically hits around 100,000 miles. If this engine becomes a liability at that mileage, what's the advantage? We payed big bucks for the option only to see no real advantage.

It does sound cool and I really like the turbo whine

One dealer in the area has been replacing pumps and injectors on a number of trucks. Make me feel good On the other hand I worked in the GM store for 4 years and at F**d store now for 2 years and I can say that I have seen as many if not more 7.3PS injectors changed than 6.5 pumps. I know I am comparing apples, oranges and grapes here but it make me wonder.
    I have 64000km (40000k) on my truck (stock), run addative from day 1 driven hard every day, too date no engine related problems.
    Of cource now that I said that??
    2002 Chev K3500 Crew Cab LT Duramax/Allison,36\' tag triaxle<br />Haulmark Edge<br />1990 34\' Chev P30 motorhome 454 turbo400, 30\' tag Haulmark car carrier<br />79 Nova Custom 355 w/glide 67 Camaro 355 w/glide<br />86 Buick GN T-Type

140,000 miles and bone stock except for the K&N air filter. First injector went at about 117,000m. Next around 124,000m and the last about 135,000m. Today the last dealer that put an injector in, Budd Baer - Washington, Pa., spent 5 hours changing a single valve cover gasket. NO CHARGE.

GM says to reuse the inner gasket. Penny wise and pound foolish can describe that. Mine split on the underside and it was hard to see the tear. Leaked oil all over. The '04 engine has the changes to stop this silly waste of time and expense with these injectors.

My repairs have totalled about $2,900 for the injectors and down-time was about 7 full days.
    THESE HAVE BEEN THE ONLY REPAIRS EVER.

Truck still has original brakes, suspension, 3rd set of tires etc. I change the fluids myself and just run it. If it weren't for the injectors the truck would be PERFECT.
    Lawrence J. Malinoski<br />\'01 GMC 2500HD D/A ext.sb 4x4

Originally posted by drgracr:
    One dealer in the area has been replacing pumps and injectors on a number of trucks. Make me feel good On the other hand I worked in the GM store for 4 years and at F**d store now for 2 years and I can say that I have seen as many if not more 7.3PS injectors changed than 6.5 pumps. I know I am comparing apples, oranges and grapes here but it make me wonder.
    I have 64000km (40000k) on my truck (stock), run addative from day 1 driven hard every day, too date no engine related problems.
    Of cource now that I said that??
    My point exactly .... If info were to be gathered on actual Proven Injector failure, the diss allotment for miss diagnostics would prevail IMO ...

How many trannys were replaced for nothing ??? I can assure you tons ..... Three at my participating, for COLD operating issues ..... Gimme a break, lack of training on real service issues ..... We are gonna base the statistics on that
    ??

Give it some time ,Lets be realistic here on this,to many variables for true data ......

Mac

Thumbs down

Let me get this straight, an otherwise perfect truck with around 100K miles has to be dumped because it might cost you $2500-$4000 for new injectors with labor.

Let me run out and spend $45K-$50K on a brand new truck, finance it again and then make a few more years of payments , just because it might fail.

For me, I am not worried. As MACKIN said, prices will come down and stabilize. I do not believe that bombing a truck has any bearing on injector failures, unless as Kennedy said you are using a pressure box.

If bombing a truck is the suspected cause then why are we hearing about stock trucks with injectors failing? and I don't think it's as many as we might think.

I believe that any mass produced part or humanly assembled component has a chance for a failure at any time. If we expect everything to last forever we are living in WONDERLAND .

I buy fuel from a reliable station, I don't filter it with a secondary, but filter if you wish.

I Don't sweat the small stuff.

GMC

I need a NAP
    <b>\'02 2500HD - 435 RWHP/774 LB-FT on #2 ONLY..<br />HOT Juice,VA Box,Predator,AFE Stage II,Banks 4\"<br />RS9000\'s,Deep Pan,H2\'s & Pro-Comp 33\"<br /><a href=\"http://community.webshots.com/user/gmc2002dmax\" target=\"_blank\">Pics</a><br /><a href=\"mailto:gmc2002duramax@earthlink.net\">gmc20 02duramax@earthlink.net</a></b>

I have heard from reliable sources that over half of the tranny's that were returned for warr issues were not bad

GMC-2002-Dmax wrote:

Let me get this straight, an otherwise perfect truck with around 100K
    miles has to be dumped because it might cost you $2500-$4000 for
    new injectors with labor. Let me run out and spend $45K-$50K on a
    brand new truck, finance it again and then make a few more years
    of payments, just because it might fail.
    Now if you live in California, the already expensive registration fees
    has been tripled because the State is 38 billion $ in debt. I wonder
    what that amount would be for a new $45,000 truck? Sales tax
    alone would be over $3500 What a rip off

Originally posted by GMC-2002-Dmax:
    Let me get this straight, an otherwise perfect truck with around 100K miles has to be dumped because it might cost you $2500-$4000 for new injectors with labor.

Let me run out and spend $45K-$50K on a brand new truck, finance it again and then make a few more years of payments , just because it might fail.

For me, I am not worried. As MACKIN said, prices will come down and stabilize. I do not believe that bombing a truck has any bearing on injector failures, unless as Kennedy said you are using a pressure box.

If bombing a truck is the suspected cause then why are we hearing about stock trucks with injectors failing? and I don't think it's as many as we might think.

I believe that any mass produced part or humanly assembled component has a chance for a failure at any time. If we expect everything to last forever we are living in WONDERLAND .

I buy fuel from a reliable station, I don't filter it with a secondary, but filter if you wish.

I Don't sweat the small stuff.

GMC

I need a NAP
    Basically you can call it a no win situation. I would think a gasser at probably 5 to 7 thousand dollars less will be less likely to incur 2-3000 dollar repair bill at 100,000 miles. Get what I'm saying?

Two comparible trucks except one is gas the other diesel. At 100,000 miles, which one cost more? Probably the same after fuel efficiency is factored in.... maybe not.

Now look at both trucks after 100,000 miles. As long as the injection system in the diesel holds up for 200,000 miles, the diesel wins. If not.... what's the point in owning a diesel if you break down and put out 2-3000 dollars? What do we do, as soon as one goes, replace them all? At our expense?

GMC-2002-Dmax,

Your point about buying new again is true.... but the difference is, I would have a new truck while you'll not only be breaking down who knows where, you'll be forking out big $$ and hoping whoever fixes it knows what they're doing.

You see I drive 40 miles to work each day (80 total) on a busy highway. I won't put up with injectors going bad while driving to work.

Look at Captain Mal.... out on vacation or whatever and she breaks down. Hey I can handle a breakdown every now and then but not one that I know will likely occur after 100,000 miles.

All this only if this really is a big issue.

Hoot...... you fret too much
    02 Chevy 3500HD, D/A, 4x4, Lucerix Mirrors, Fumoto valve, Amsoil air filter, <br />Kaydenco mudflaps, Hadley Air Horns, Lund Hood Protector, Prodigy,<br />2 micron Racor Post OEM fuel filter install photos:<br /><a href=\"http://community.webshots.com/album/66562661oghYok\" target=\"_blank\">http://community.webshots.com/album/66562661oghYok</a>

Originally posted by 56Nomad:
    Nah it's peer pressure ...Looking for a reason to bail and get a straight axle Ford ..... [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Hoot wrote
    I would have a new truck while you'll not only be breaking down who knows where, you'll be forking out big $$ and hoping whoever fixes it knows what they're doing.
    At the procrastinating failure rate your projecting, everyone and their brother will have hands on ..... Gonna worry yourself right to a new Ford aren't ya ???

Mac

Smile

Hoot sees a conspiracy behind everything. This web site, GM, you name it.

A couple of observations.... Sure a dealer tech will see the problems. How many Duramax owner reported problems does a single dealer tech come into contact relative to the admin & mods here at TDP? How many people without problems report that fact, relative to those who do? And, as was mentioned above, how many dealer techs have replaced perfectly good component parts? I could relate a couple disastrous service stories, as reported to me by other members, that caused a cascade of failures.

Lastly, as more trucks go out of warranty, and demand for replacement parts grows, the aftermarket will fill that void with less expensive and high-quality parts. Just like we did for the 6.2/6.5, we'll also produce a user guide showing how to perform most Duramax related service procedures. In the end, out-of warranty Duramax 6600 service costs will be cut in half or more.

In the meantime, maybe this will help......

MP

Originally posted by mackin:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by 56Nomad:
    Nah it's peer pressure ...Looking for a reason to bail and get a straight axle Ford ..... [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Hoot wrote
    I would have a new truck while you'll not only be breaking down who knows where, you'll be forking out big $$ and hoping whoever fixes it knows what they're doing.
    At the procrastinating failure rate your projecting, everyone and their brother will have hands on ..... Gonna worry yourself right to a new Ford aren't ya ???

Mac
    </font>[/QUOTE]MAC,

How dare you accuse me of thinking about a Ford

I've had really great luck with my GM trucks. Here's my testimony....

1989 K1500 350 GAS 60,000 miles
    1989 K1500 350 GAS 30,000 miles
    1993 K2500 6.5 TD 18,500 miles
    1997 K2500 6.5 TD 80,000 miles
    2001 2500HD 6.6 TD 57,000 miles

All of the above trucks never broke down on the road, not even once. I got first GM truck in 1990, the 89 K1500. I have't taken one over 100,000 in my life as you can see. The first two were used when I got them.

Straight axle doesn't "steer" me. My preferences are no breakdowns and full crew cab and 4X4. Right now GM is the ONLY choice.

More Power Says:

"Hoot sees a conspiracy behind everything. This web site, GM, you name it."

Maybe so Jim. Like the conspiracy that this site/forum was being compromised by who nose who so we weren't allowed to have anything but straight text for three freekin years. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

You've had nothing but good luck with AC Delco batteries but the fact is.... they suck.

Injection failures are occurring at a relatively high rate, is that a fact?

GM started redesigning the heads for easier injector replacement in late 2000/early 2001. I'm not calling that a GM conspiracy, just saying maybe they new something we didn't. All I ask is that they stand by their product if they are to to blame. OK I'm sorry, the warranty is 100,000 miles. Guess what.... I have nothing to worry about. It'll probably be gone by then. I'd rather put the loss into a new rig... probably another GM.

How about the 6.5 TD injection pump nightmare. Don't you think GM could have done a few things differently? Or was there money to be saved at the customers expense.

Don't go blowing this up like I'm dead set on unloading my truck anytime soon. Sure we need to wait. The question is will the real truth surface here anytime soon?

Do I need a secondary fuel filter?

Flame on boys.

BTW:

How much for a whole box...?

[ 07-24-2003, 11:19 AM: Message edited by: hoot ]

Oh Oh --
    Did I hear Mac whisper a new handle for Hoot?
    FO hoot RD ?? Mabye just wind in the trees?

Sorry Hoot

Bob
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A, CC/SB,<br />Olympic White, *Manik SS brush guard and nerfs, *Hella driving lamps, Velvet rides, *HD Air Lifts and Compressor, *Snugtop bed cover, *Linex, *Yakima rails on cover (mt.bikes), *Amsoil 2 stage airfilter. *Pioneer XM Radio. *SUBSTANTIALLY upgraded speakers,<br />Amp and Sub. *One piece drive shaft. *Mag-Hytec diff.cover, <br />*43 gal across the bed aux.tank (American Tank), *Lucerix pwr / heated mirrors, *Allison deep pan and transyd, *Street Pilot III GPS. *Suburban-type lighted <br />double sun visors, homelink system,steering wheel stereo controls, *Kennedy

Smile

Hoot said: Injection failures are occurring at a relatively high rate, is that a fact?

Define "relatively high rate". Where's your data to support your definition?

Hoot said: How about the 6.5 TD injection pump nightmare. Don't you think GM could have done a few things differently?

Yes, I agree, it was a poorly designed fuel injection pump. I chose to be constructively engaged in helping solve problems, and we've written extensively about the pump's deficiencies and provided information designed to reduce failures. Whining wouldn't help anyone.

Hoot said: The question is will the real truth surface here anytime soon?

You'd just think it was part of another conspiracy...... Just like when I explained the "real truth" to you about the image/link issue here in the BB. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

MP

[ 07-24-2003, 03:08 PM: Message edited by: More Power ]