Thread: Fuel Pressure Gauge

Arrow

KD Fuel Pressure Gauge
    for the Duramax 6600

As diesel fuel injection systems become more complex and more sensitive to fuel quality, owners have become more tuned-in to the nature of diesel fuel systems. Being able to check fuel pressure (vacuum) can help an owner diagnose a future problem or allow him to monitor the condition of the fuel filter in an on-going basis. This not only can save you a lot of frustration in the high-stakes game of vehicle service, but can save you money on fuel filters by not replacing them till the fuel restriction gauge tells you it's time.

Do you have a recommendation for an electrical fuel pressure gauge that can sit inside the cab so that it can part of my A pillar gauge cluster?
    1) '03 GMC 2500HD Dmax/Ali Ext/Short 4x4; 4" exhaust, egt and boost gauges; exhaust brake; Bilsteins; BD exhaust manifold; Oil Guard bypass; Lubrication pre oem fuel filter; Tekonsha Prodigy; Mag-Hytec differential cover; Suncoast V transmission w/deep oil sump
    2) '07 Classic GMC 2500HD Dmax/Ali Ext/Short 4x4'; Bilsteins, Silastic shackles, BD exhaust manifold; Oil Guard bypass; Lubrication pre oem fuel filter; Tekonsha Prodigy; Federico sway bars; Dipricol boost and egt gauges; Transgo Jr,, Mag-Hytec differential and transmission pan

Arrow

It's entirely possible one exists, but I don't know of such a gauge...

Jim

Uncle Wally Guest

There are Fuel pressure gauges available that can be plumbed to the interior of your vehicle (they are mechanical). It is very highly recommended that a special diaphragm 'splitter' be used to keep fuel that is under pressure out of the interior of your vehicle.

But...

In a vacuum system (ie. without a lift pump), this doesn't seem like it would be a viable option. I don't believe the 'splitter' mentioned above will work at a vacuum. I suppose a guy could try it to see if it works. Most parts are readily available through Summit Racing.

Waldo

mhagie Guest

I would like to go with a small lift pump but the cost involved is not good.
    Lift pump $195
    wiring harness $135
    Total 330 for a lift pump, that is a lot of change for a lift pump.
    I did the Dr Lee Autozone pump on my old truck don't think I had over $40 in the whole thing.
    These new trucks are just getting too complicated for our own good.
    But they sure do run good.
    Merle

Kennedy Guest

Fuel level, vehicle attitude, engine speed, and rate of acceleration all play into the fuel psi game. Unless you plan to keep pressure on the system, you will have a LOT of swing in the internal pressure. Under braking it will even be positive, yet under heavy accelration, it will be -12+hg in many cases. This is why I prefer the direct mount so that all external influences can be removed from the test. Just use a consistent fuel level and flatr ground for best repeatable results.

As for the Auto Zone pump, many people have used these on the 6.5 and have needed annual replacement due to failure. The Delco units are more $$ but last a bit longer. They still are not very reliable though. Mine should last a lifetime. If you want to do a simple wiring job like referenced, it will function no differently than it did on the old "analog" truck. My ckt has been designed for safety, simplicity, and convenience of operation/installation.

mdrag Guest

Cool

More Power,

Thank you for that timely and informative review of the KD fuel filter restriction gauge. I recently purchased one from Kennedy, and the gauge is absolutely first rate. I've used the Kent Moore guage, and the KD unit is a MUCH finer tool. I used the KD fuel filter restriction gauge to identify a recent fuel filter related problem.

Also related to servicing the fuel filters, the GMDieselTech.com/KennedyDiesel.com water in fuel sensor tool is highly recommended - sure beats every other method that I've tried. Even my worn (tattered, edges rounded off) water in fuel sensor is easy to remove and tighten with this tool.

I plan to carry the filter restriction gauge, water in sensor tool, and an extra fuel filter (or two) in the truck AT ALL TIMES so that I'm prepared for the next tank of bad fuel....

madmatt Guest

I haven't used one of KD's gauges yet but my Kent Moore absolutly sucks! No joke it actually works better AFTER pounding it on the work bench 5 or 6 times.

mhagie Guest

JK, you know you are right , I know you are right, Im just crying because I want a exhaust system bad and can't afford both at this time.
    I know the lift pump is more important but it just dosen't sound COOL like the exhaust system does.
    Besides the wifey sees the credit card bills before I get home so I hear "now what did you buy for your truck this time"
    Funny thing, I never hear the truck complain.
    Merle

Kennedy Guest

Originally posted by madmatt:
    I haven't used one of KD's gauges yet but my Kent Moore absolutly sucks!
    That's easy enough to fix!

Kennedy Guest

Originally posted by mhagie:
    JK, you know you are right , I know you are right, Im just crying because I want a exhaust system bad and can't afford both at this time.
    I know the lift pump is more important but it just dosen't sound COOL like the exhaust system does.
    Besides the wifey sees the credit card bills before I get home so I hear "now what did you buy for your truck this time"
    Funny thing, I never hear the truck complain.
    Merle
    Since you look to be reasonably close to Des Moines, you should be able to use the "pickup to save freight" excuse for the exhaust...

Originally posted by kennedy:
    Since you look to be reasonably close to Des Moines, you should be able to use the "pickup to save freight" excuse for the exhaust...
    Or you could try the strategically placed road debris to "damage" your exhaust so it needs replaced.

OK, deception and trickery is a bad idea but it sounded good for the moment
    \'05 Chevy 2500 HD LS CC/LB 4x4 D/A, Century Cap, Line-X Spray on bedliner, SS Nerf Bars, Lund Bug Deflector, 235/85R16E LTX M/S II, Kennedy Custom ECM Tune, Uni-filter, EGT/Pyro & Boost Guages

LanduytG Guest

This is one of my main tools in the box. It can answer a lot of questions that you could only guess at before.

Greg

madmatt Guest

quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally posted by madmatt:
    I haven't used one of KD's gauges yet but my Kent Moore absolutly sucks!
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's easy enough to fix!
    Yeah but the price was right on mine...free

mhagie Guest

Exhaust where, who, in Des Moines?
    merle

Kennedy Guest

No freight on the KD exhaust if picked up in Des Moines.