Thread: STP oil filters?

Question

hi, anybody know how makes STP brand oil filters, , just bought one at auto zone, looks just like my gm filter and weights the same too, and cost 2.99 on sale
    2- 2002, 3500 cc 4x2 duramax/allisions lt 1-black 1- red ,juiced,westin tubes, husky mudflaps,custom made air scoop for allision trans,

According to this guys tests it's a Champion and he doesn't like it.

http://www.scuderiaciriani.com/rx7/oil_filter_study/

OC_DMAX Guest

Champion makes the STP filter, as well as the stock OEM Black filter.

OC_DMAX

Where did you get the info that the Black OEM filter is made by Champion??? Based on the contruction info of the Champion in the above listed survey I find that odd. I don't think a fliter made by Champion is going to hold up to our oil pressure.

OC_DMAX Guest

When I first bought my truck I went to the dealer to purchase a new oil filter and expected to get the blue colored AC Delco filter (a GM company? and that what was called out in the owners manual). Instead, the parts person handed me a black filter like what was on the truck. I asked him who made the filter, he indicated that Champion did. Sometime later, I became interested in the filtering performance of the filter, so I located Champion on the web (Champion Laboratories), got a telephone number and called them up. They acknowledged that they built the OEM filter for GM, but could not supply filtering data.

If you dig a little bit into the company, you will find that they produce a lot of filters for other retail names as well as for other automobile manufactures. They produce filters for Mobil1, STP, Lee, Bosch, K&N and others I imagine.

I took apart the Black OEM filter about 1 1/2 years ago. I personally thought it was well constructed. The STP filter that was purchased above is most likely mechanically the same as the OEM filter. However the cost diffential may be due to the filter media used. MDRAG used to have pictures of several oil filters that were cut apart. Not sure if he still has them posted on the web, but they were interesting to look at.

There were originally some issues with a number of the oil filters brands when the DMAX first came out. The high oil presssure caused a number of seal leaks at the filter base. If my memory serves me correctly, the Black OEM was redesigned as well as the Baldwin filter (which I currently use). Hope this help.

Alan

mdrag Guest

Cool

Pics of the cut open filters are available at the first link in my sig in the FILTERS album.

The black OEM filter on my '01 was clearly marked Champion, so there is no question as to the origin. I believe you can make out the label in a few of the pics.

From my visual inspection the OEM black filter and the AC Delco PF2232 were identical in construction. The filter media appeared to be the same, but I have no way to verify this.

On edit: The black Champion Labs filter in the pictures is the oil filter that came installed on my '01 from the factory. There are also pics of a Mighty filter that is black in color.

[ 04-20-2003: Message edited by: mdrag ]</p>

If the black OEM filter is built by Champion then it must be built to GM specs for them because the other Champion filters are junk. Assuming the STP filter is the same as the OEM is a bad bet. Anything costing 2.99 isn't built to any standard I want to use on my 40k truck.

Some companies (like STP) do not make anything themselves. They will put out tenders to various mfrs. for their stock. One month it might be made by Champion, next month it could even be (G-D forgive) a FRAM

I ran into the same issue with having to find a replacement filter fast at the last oil change. I thought I still had an extra in the shop. Dealers were all closed. Autozone carried the STP filter, so I bought one. I was skeptical but after reviewing the online filter test/comprison report and the "new" STP filter, I decided to use it.

Upon inspection, the pressure relieve valve assembly, which is visible through the center, is identical to the black filter I removed. The filters are near enough to identical in weight, and the metal seems to have the same thickness. The overall construction has very little in common with the sacrificed STP in the comparison report.

I have about 1K miles left until the next change. I'll try to remember to cut open the used STP filter for comparision.

The only downside, presuming it is the same internal media and relief valve, is that the STP does not have the octagonal top.

Paul
    2002 Silverado LT <br />Forest D/A CC/LB 4X4<br />MNR Race Support <br />WERA/AMA/F-USA/USGPRU<br />125/250 Grand Prix

I've been using STP oil filters for the last 50000 miles, my dad's been using them for his 36000 miles, and as far as I'm concerned, they work great! But who knows, maybe there is some kind of correlation between the more money you pay for an oil filter, the longer your truck will last and the more power it will have? [img]tongue.gif[/img]
    2001 Red D/A 4x4 Standard Cab Autometer Ultra-Lite Boost/EGT, KD4&lt;5, RJ, HI/ODL, 285x75BFGATs<br /> <a href=\"http://www.mudbogg.com/gallery/gallery1/0077.html\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.mudbogg.com/gallery/gallery1/0077.html</a>

Brandenburg: What do you mean by "they worked great"? Heck you could have probably left the factory filter in for 50,000 miles nad not had aproblem. Anecdotal responses are not of much help.

This is just my experience but by worked great I mean that they filtered my oil without ever busting open on a cold morning or seizing my engine. However, I once bought a Purolator oil filter at advance auto but took it back because it was a flimsy POS! I haven't seen the STPs for 2.99, last time I bought one it was 4.99

Wink

FirstDiesel, Champion Labs is a world class company that build quality products for all types of industries. I doubt that GM designed our filter. They gave Champion a set of drawings and operating perimiters and Champion designed the fiter. Mobil 1 filters for one are built by Champion. Would you call them junk? Later! Lone Eagle
    02 2500 HD EC SB<br />Juice 4.61<br />Post OEM Racor 660<br />Back Country Bars<br />Roll Lock Cover<br />B & W Turnover

Read the website tests

I have read the website test, and I've bought the STP S-9100 filters. They don't seem to have anything in common with the STP filters designed for 5.0 Fords discussed in the test...even the color is different. (In the test the STP filter is white with red logos...the S-9100 is blue with red white and blue STP logos and white print) The first two STP S-9100s I bought appeared to be identical in every respect except color to the black Champion filter that Duramax Ltd. put on the engine in Ohio. More recently they have a different design...the only difference being that they no longer have "flats" pressed into the end of the can. They still have the same heavy case, gasket, holes and everything else I can see from outside the can that the factory filter did. I don't have my original filter anymore to cut apart, I'm not going to cut a new one up and I'm not particularly inclined to cut a used one up because of the mess...if someone else would like my used filter to cut apart I'll put it in a couple Zip-loc bags and send it to them...the next time I change the oil.

I've paid 4.99 + tax for every STP S-9100 I've bought, and I'd buy the shelf out it I found them for $2.99. It says on the box something to the effect of "Produced in the USA by Champion Labs, for distribution by STP."

If I could find the same filter in a Fire Red can I'd pay extra for it.

[ 04-23-2003: Message edited by: Colorado Kid ]</p>
    2002 GMC Sierra 2500HD CC D/ZF SB Fire Red 2WD no longer the fastest stocker up the hill at the TDP Pull Off. -sold-
    2004 Chevy Suburban 5.3L 2WD
    1996 GMC Sierra 1500 5.0L 5sp 2WD LB

Wink

This data is four years old and one man's opinion. Later! Lone Eagle
    02 2500 HD EC SB<br />Juice 4.61<br />Post OEM Racor 660<br />Back Country Bars<br />Roll Lock Cover<br />B & W Turnover

True, but it's a 45k truck and a $2.99 filter??? If you can afford the truck can't you afford a decent filter too??

As I read the posts, 2.99 was on sale, normally 4.99.
    Having a lot of retail experience, I can assure you that paying more doesn't necessarily buy you a higher quality product. One term in the buisness for this practice is called a "loss leader".
    If however paying more makes you feel better,,,,,

On another note, I have looked at this filter and almost bought it. The only reason I didn't was the lack of the "flats" pressed into the end. I use a socket style wrench and need those flats.
    This filter seems like a high quality unit , at least from the outside. I would like to see one cut open, ,,,,Maybe the next time they go on sale. LOL.

mdrag Guest

Cool

huntingdog,

I have not examined a sample of the STP oil filter, but as far as the lack of 'flats' (flutes) - I would not be too concerned. When the Baldwin B1441 first came out, it was fluted. Then Baldwin redesigned the filter due to concerns over the high oil pressures seen in the Dmax, and the new design did not have the flutes. The old vs new design Baldwin filter has the same part# B1441.

I purchased a case of (12) fluted Baldwins (shortly after they became avaialble) from Kennedy, and returned (9) directly to Baldwin for exchange for the unfluted design. Could it be that the other filter manufacturers are adopting the unfluted or smooth design??