Thread: extended warranty yes or no ?

I am buying a 02 gmc with 60.000 miles from a dealer and was offered a 4 year 36.000 full factory warranty for $2900 2 year 24.000 for $1900 Any input would be great.

I WORK FOR A CADDY DEALER, I PURCHASED A DURA MAX IN INDY AND I LIVE IN CLEVELAND. THEY SOLD ME A RYAM WARRENTY AND SAID IT WOULD BE GOOD HERE AT HOME, I CALLED AS SOON AS I GOT BACK AND NO ONE EXCEPTS THE RYAN WARRENTY IN CLEVELAND. THE DEALER ATE THE REST OF THE COST AND WE ENDED UP WITH A GMPP ON THE TRUCK. I WOULD CALL OTHER DEALERS AND PRICE SHOP TO MAKE SURE YOU ARE GETTING THE RIGHT WARRENTY THATS GOOD FOR YOU AND THE BEST PRICE.
    MIKE
    2007 CHEVY D/A. 4 DOOR AND 6 FOOT BED

The rule of thumb for most is to say NO to everything after the initial deal is done. I have never purchased an extended warranty on anything as I don't believe they are a good deal. You will have to look at your own situation though to make a decision on this. If you can afford the unlikely major repair without a financial burdon, then the answer is simple. If not then you will have to decide for yourself how much you need that peice of mind. Remember the injectors are covered for 100,000 miles, and $3,000 could buy a fair amount of service. Could also buy over 1,000 gallons of diesel and a few oil changes....THAT is sad.
    02\'LT CC/SB D/A Grey/Graphite W/Everything. Modern Python Wheels,Line-X,Putco 4\" SS nerfs,Lucerix mirrors,Amsoil air filter,Husky Liners,EGR carbon fiber B/guard,APC carbon fiber Euro Tails,APC clear corners,Husky splash guards,GMC bright side moldings,Kennedys\' 70-100W headlight harness, PIAA air dam and 520 ion crystal fogs,Draw-Tite class v receiver,Bilsteins,Fumoto, HOT Juice,Banks 4\",BD exhaust brake,O.D. lockout,Autometer Phantom guages,Escalade bezel and guage cluster,Sound system to compliment this fine truck,Many #\'s of sound deadener,100% transynd,all else Amsoil,Zaino stuff inside and out.####UNDERSTANDING WIFE! *01\' Nordic Fox 27F TT * 01\' Pro-Circuit YZ 250 <a href=\"http://www.picturetrail.com/darrell3\" target=\"_blank\">Pics</a>

Thanks I thought the injectors were 200.000

madmatt Guest

they are. 7yr/200k

Oops. Not thinking too clearly this AM.
    02\'LT CC/SB D/A Grey/Graphite W/Everything. Modern Python Wheels,Line-X,Putco 4\" SS nerfs,Lucerix mirrors,Amsoil air filter,Husky Liners,EGR carbon fiber B/guard,APC carbon fiber Euro Tails,APC clear corners,Husky splash guards,GMC bright side moldings,Kennedys\' 70-100W headlight harness, PIAA air dam and 520 ion crystal fogs,Draw-Tite class v receiver,Bilsteins,Fumoto, HOT Juice,Banks 4\",BD exhaust brake,O.D. lockout,Autometer Phantom guages,Escalade bezel and guage cluster,Sound system to compliment this fine truck,Many #\'s of sound deadener,100% transynd,all else Amsoil,Zaino stuff inside and out.####UNDERSTANDING WIFE! *01\' Nordic Fox 27F TT * 01\' Pro-Circuit YZ 250 <a href=\"http://www.picturetrail.com/darrell3\" target=\"_blank\">Pics</a>

Everything is a gamble, however, I caved in and got one for my 2002 Duramax. I often wondered if I were silly to do it. Well, at 61,000 my turbo went and that was a $3000 job that I didn't pay for. Then a front wheel bearing went @ 76,000 which went unnoticed even by the dealer when they serviced the truck. That was $640 which was NOT covered as my extended expired at 75,000. THEN, every injector was replaced as my crankcase was full of diesel fuel. Even though it was covered, I had to haul the truck up form Mexico to the dealer and who knows what damage was done to my engine. Not fun... Happy guessing!!!
    BBugg<br />2002 GMC 2500HD D/A 4x4 ext.Cab SWB;<br />Garmin Streetpilot GPS; PIAA 80 Racing Lights; A.R.E. MX Truck Cap w/Walk-In Door; Kargo Master Cap mounted Rack; Luverne Stainless Nerf Bars; Warn Rio Grande Stainless Winch Mount; MileMarker 10,500 lb. Hydraulic Winch; TFI 45 gal.Tank w/Fast Flo Nozzle; XM Satellite Digital Tuner; Duramaximiser; Truck Vault bed storage system; Cobra 75-WX-ST CB Radio<p> <a href=\"http://www.PictureTrail.com/bbugg\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.PictureTrail.com/bbugg</a>

madmatt Guest

@ 61k your turbo would've been covered under factory warrenty w/ a $100 deductable.

Like any extended warranty, the only reason the dealer or insurance company sells them is to make money. About the only way it would pay for itself on a diesel w/100,000 mile engine warranty is if you had tranny problems or something major like that after the 3yr/36K factory warranty. I will take the gamble that I will not have $3,000 + interest in repairs after the factory warranty.

Heartbeat Hauler Guest

Originally posted by madmatt:
    @ 61k your turbo would've been covered under factory warrenty w/ a $100 deductable.
    He said he didn't pay for the turbo, it was the wheel bearings that he had to pay for. Anyways, I bought the extended warranty for my truck and I think it was around 1700 bucks. I know that buys a ton of oil & filters and fuel, but I have needed my warranty on past vehicles so I guess I'm bettin' I'll need it this time. However, at 34K miles no issues. I agree with the shopping around idea....4 years & 36000 miles for 2900 bucks is 'spensive. That works out to 9000 miles a year and the 2 year 24000 miles is pricey at 1900 bucks. Remember this truck already has a 6 year 100,000 miles on the drivetrain and 7years 200,000 on injectors, so if a warranty is something you want I would look for 2 year 24000 miles for around $1200.
    JP

madmatt Guest

I read that turbo replacement deal as though he was saying his extended warrenty paid for it.

It's your hand. Do you want take a chance and hit for another card for 21 or risk going bust or do you stay and risk losing your money to the house.

Either way it's a gamble. Personally, I'm glad I've taken another card and hit 21. '01' Gasser had over $6000 in repairs between 36K and 71K miles (Thank God I spent the $1800 for an ext warranty). BTW, non tranny and engine problems are more expensive than most people realize. Most of the $6000 was starters, power windows, drive shaft yolks, door panel moldings, cracked seat covers etc. just to name a few. Only one repair was an engine issue. (Intake manifold repair was around $900).

Pretty hard for me to not justify the cost for a $2500 ext. warranty for the '02' Diesel I own now as its repairs can be just as expensive if not more depending on the problem. Already cashed in over $1000 for warranty work since taking ownership in June 04. BTW, she's over the 36K base warranty so I'm already half way there on the cost.

Word of advice... If you are dead set on buying one you can price warranty plans all you want but in MHO, the GMPP is the only way to go. To many issues with Millenium and all the others not covering this and that and having deductibles unless you take vehicle to dealer where it was purchased.

Also, my 01 truck's Millenium warranty had more than $700 in work that was not covered that would have been covered by a GMPP. So spending the extra $700 for a GMPP for that truck would have worked to my favor. I've owned 6 vehicles now, 4 trucks and 2 cars and would have come out ahead on everyone of them had I purchased an ext warranty. I know, my luck isn't very good, but given my track record one could understand my position. Others of you out there could probably fall in a bucket of **** and come out smelling like roses everytime. Congrats if you're one of those people!!!

Sorry so long.

Rots a Ruck.....

I'm one of the "No thank you" guys regarding extended warranty ...and yes, I like to gamble as well. My view has always been I can invest the 2-3K over 4 years and make more money (I've never actually done this [img]smile.gif[/img] ) or take the chance something major goes wrong. If that day ever came where it put a big dent in my pocket book ...that would be the last for that make of car/truck. I mean, if one had to pay 6 grand out of pocket for something major why would one turn around and buy another ...or even from the same company? that's when my loyalty goes out the door.

I realize they all could have problems ...with me it would be a 1 strike and your're out. Luckily I have zero strikes thus far.
    03\' 2500 HD LT CC 4x4, D/A, Rancho 4\", Weld Evo\'s, BF 315-70R17 KO\'s, Autometer gauges, Banks 4\", AFE Stg II, LineX, Bilstein SS shocks, OilGuard, Racor 660 Pre-oem, Juice 4.61 <a href=\"http://home.comcast.net/~tophog/duramax/2003_dmax.htm\" target=\"_blank\">(Photos)</a>