Thread: Switch to Synthetic

Have about 58,000 mi. on the 2003 GMC Duramax I bought in Feb., 2003. Have run Shell 15W-40 Rotella T conventional oil up to now, but considering switching to Amsoil synthetic 15W-40.

Experienced a leaking seal recently when I switched from conventional to synthetic on an older (1979) motorcycle. I'm thinking the old '79 seals weren't up to synthetic.

Anybody think I may have waited too long on the Duramax to switch and may suffer leaksas well?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Arrow

Just do it. Your truck will love you for it. There should be no problems.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Jim Brzozowski Guest

Johnny R, all of the seals are good with synthetic lubricants, if they were otherwise, I would already know since I run all synthetics except brake fluid and coolant of course.

Johny R, Synthetic is the way to go by why not stay with the Shell? The Rotella T 5W-40S or the 0W-40SB for the extreme Northern temp differential.
    2001 -2500HD,LT,Max,Quad,4x4,Husky<br />Liners,285 - Yokahama Geos, Nasta Pipes, Back Rack, Beterbuilt Box and Juice Edge

Tough Guy Guest

I run the Rotella T 5w-40 synthetic and love it. I get it at Wal-mart for ~$13.00 a gallon.

Cheers