Thread: Racor Prefilter

imported_ Guest

Wink

Anyone have the racor prefilter 150u on their truck yet?...i am debating adding it before the factory unit.... does it mount that way or does it mount near the tank?

Mad Max,

I think you would be wasting your time adding a 150 micron filter. Our problems lie in the 2 to 10 micron range and the factory filter is not getting them. If you found a good 2 micron filter to add, then you would be doing something. As may know I am working diligently on just the thing. It's coming I promise.
    Todd Eldridge<br />2002 2500HD Crew 4x4 zf 6sp<br />Stanadyne FM-100 additional fuel filter<br />Flo-Pro Muffler<br />Summit White <br />Fender flares painted to match<br />GMC side molding<br />SS Nerf Bars<br />e-mail todd.eldridge@cnet.navy.mil

imported_ Guest

ok then how is this one?
    http://www.fuelpolishing.com/item368.htm

The lid weighs 5 LB's and the whole unit 36 LB's......What are the dimensions??? It's rugged !!!!!!

MAC

Mad Max,

Beilieve it or not I contacted them, Gulf coast filter's that is. They have smaller unit to fit trucks and the owner has one installed on his P-stroke. The filter media is a roll of toilet paper. I'm not kiddin and the big unit uses paper towels. It sounded to far out there for me to consider. I wish someone in here would buy one and try it and get a sample done. Here is the link http://www.gulfcoastfilter.com
    Todd Eldridge<br />2002 2500HD Crew 4x4 zf 6sp<br />Stanadyne FM-100 additional fuel filter<br />Flo-Pro Muffler<br />Summit White <br />Fender flares painted to match<br />GMC side molding<br />SS Nerf Bars<br />e-mail todd.eldridge@cnet.navy.mil

The quicker picker upper that's tough on s**t!
    02\'LT CC/SB D/A Grey/Graphite W/Everything. Modern Python Wheels,Line-X,Putco 4\" SS nerfs,Lucerix mirrors,Amsoil air filter,Husky Liners,EGR carbon fiber B/guard,APC carbon fiber Euro Tails,APC clear corners,Husky splash guards,GMC bright side moldings,Kennedys\' 70-100W headlight harness, PIAA air dam and 520 ion crystal fogs,Draw-Tite class v receiver,Bilsteins,Fumoto, HOT Juice,Banks 4\",BD exhaust brake,O.D. lockout,Autometer Phantom guages,Escalade bezel and guage cluster,Sound system to compliment this fine truck,Many #\'s of sound deadener,100% transynd,all else Amsoil,Zaino stuff inside and out.####UNDERSTANDING WIFE! *01\' Nordic Fox 27F TT * 01\' Pro-Circuit YZ 250 <a href=\"http://www.picturetrail.com/darrell3\" target=\"_blank\">Pics</a>

LanduytG Guest

USe the Racor 660 and you can't go wrong. It has been proven time and agin to filter as advertised. I have sent out 5 this week. I hope to have the brackets in a couple of weeks so all you need to do is plug and play. The bracket will use 2 exsisting holes in the frame so their will be no drilling. Parker push-on fittings and hose. All you need is a tubing cutter and a couple of adjustable wrenchs and 30 mins worth of time. If you run the heated filter it will take a bite longer to install.

Greg

Greg,

I thought you died, haven't seen you on here in a while.

LanduytG Guest

Todd
    Been business making the business grow.

Greg

Kennedy Guest

Roll (depth) type filters can work extremely well, especially as an engine oil bypass filter, but I wouldn't trust your average Bounty or Charmin, especially with all the "septic safe" crap (pun intended) floating around these days...

I just installed a bypass filter with this roll style media, BUT it is a special industrial paper and is rolled to a specification. I've been considering one of these type elements for a secondary fuel filter, but am a bit concerned about restriction.

Anyhoo, I still think that the factory filter should be the first line of defense to knock down the majority of the big stuff and then try to get out the fines...

jbplock Guest

John, Was the Bypass filter installed on a duramax? If so where did you plumb the oil return?

I installed my Racor "pre-filter" today. Made my own bracket (very simple), and Greg L. supplied everything else I needed. I didn't hook up the heater yet, still figuring how I'd like to do it. Took a nice long test drive and everything seems to be in fine working order. I will try to get a fuel sample to be tested at some point. I took a few pics of the filter and other goodies (not of the truck..it's too dirty right now!) Hope the link works.
    Also installed Allison deep pan, and new and improved NSBU switch. Rather productive day if I do say so myself.
    Josh
    \'02 2500HD D/A CC/LB 4X4<br />Autometer EGT (Pre & Post Turbo)/Boost Guages<br />Hot Juice-Predator-Banks Monster Exhaust-Stanadyne Lift Pump-Mega<br /><a href=\"http://www.picturetrail.com/bigsmithers\" target=\"_blank\">Pictures</a><br /><a href=\"mailto:kussbrostenter@aol.com\">kussbrosten ter@aol.com</a>

Kennedy Guest

Bill,

I used same sandwich type adapter as I set you up with for your 6.5